ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1394 of 3903
« First < 39489412941344138413901391139213931394 139513961397139814041444149418942394 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 07:37 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
To not overload the hospitals. Now that we have a better data, hopefully we can turn the economy back on to a degree and still not run out of beds/ventilators. or whatever.
We are in no danger of running out of ventilators at this time.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:43 PM 04-14-2020
It all depends on what they mean by opening up , allowing businesses that can only accommodate social distancing , group gathering? I camp see anything being like it was before till that fall and that might still included masks and social distancing.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:50 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
She said the symptoms are severe than she was led to believe.
I hear that if you die at home it is listed as a mild case.

More seriously I hope she gets well soon.
[Reply]
TLO 07:51 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
She said the symptoms are severe than she was led to believe.
For some people it sure seems that way. For others, not so much. Such a confusing virus.

Hope she gets better soon.
[Reply]
bricks 04-14-2020, 08:02 PM
This message has been deleted by bricks.
TLO 08:17 PM 04-14-2020
Do we have any proof that masks in the hands of the generalpublic are actually going to make a difference?
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:26 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Do we have any proof that masks in the hands of the generalpublic are actually going to make a difference?
Do we have any reason to believe masks are going to be available to the general public anytime soon? I still can't find the particle masks I use when I sand drywall or work in other dusty conditions much less an N95.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:27 PM 04-14-2020
And no, masks in the hands of the general public will absolutely not make a difference. They're far more effective when they're on your face.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:29 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Do we have any reason to believe masks are going to be available to the general public anytime soon? I still can't find the particle masks I use when I sand drywall or work in other dusty conditions much less an N95.
Find someone who can sew you a cloth mask. They aren't as effective as an N95, but they do provide protection.
[Reply]
TLO 08:30 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
This was actually going to be my next point. Where exactly will the public find these masks?
[Reply]
TLO 04-14-2020, 08:31 PM
This message has been deleted by TLO.
DaFace 08:31 PM 04-14-2020
They work, just not in the way people think. They're pretty good at keeping you from getting other people sick. They're not very good at keeping you from getting sick.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:32 PM 04-14-2020
This was actually going to be my next point. Where exactly will the public find these masks?
They don't have to be anything special. You can find no sew instructions online easily.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:33 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
To not overload the hospitals. Now that we have a better data, hopefully we can turn the economy back on to a degree and still not run out of beds/ventilators. or whatever.
You don't reopen the country right now as the rate of growth is slowing, otherwise there was no point to close it down in the first place. You have to start coming down the other side of the peak first.

Realistically, we probably need to wait another six weeks, but I'm sure that a number of people won't wait beyond May 1 and will likely undo much of the progress that has been made.
[Reply]
TLO 08:35 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You don't reopen the country right now as the rate of growth is slowing, otherwise there was no point to close it down in the first place. You have to start coming down the other side of the peak first.

Realistically, we probably need to wait another six weeks, but I'm sure that a number of people won't wait beyond May 1 and will likely undo much of the progress that has been made.
I'm not sure where you stand on the whole IHME model, but they're supposed to be putting out projections tomorrow of what it'll look like if the restrictions are lifted May 1st.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:38 PM 04-14-2020
I'm not sure where you stand on the whole IHME model, but they're supposed to be putting out projections tomorrow of what it'll look like if the restrictions are lifted May 1st.
I don't know what is in their secret sauce. I know that modeling for complex stuff like this is incredibly hard. I also know, and have said it in here before, that you always lose in public health--if you make dour predictions you're an alarmist. If people heed the predictions and death rates are lower you caused a panic for nothing. If people die in large numbers you get roasted for not acting sooner.

So here is my prediction for the model tomorrow: people will bitch about it.
[Reply]
TLO 08:38 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
They don't have to be anything special. You can find no sew instructions online easily.
I had a co-worker bring in a cloth one that looks like it was made out of a dish towel. We've also been provided with a mask that we can wear every day, but we only get 1. :-) And they are the cheap surgical masks. I'm sure after a single use they're no good anymore. I've just been working with my door closed and staying away from people in the office as much as possible.
[Reply]
Page 1394 of 3903
« First < 39489412941344138413901391139213931394 139513961397139814041444149418942394 > Last »
Up