ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1960 of 2688
« First < 960146018601910195019561957195819591960 19611962196319641970201020602460 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
DRM08 05:11 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Patrick was going to go to a good spot no matter what. It was either Andy, Payton or Arians. All 3 are top level fits for him.
O’Brien was hoping to get him at #12. He would have dodged that with Reid or Payton.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:20 PM 11-27-2020
The ESPN, NFL network guys didn't get Mahomes. They were taught to look for consistent mechanics. Mahomes threw the ball differently every time and could throw from multiple arm slots.

Instead, they valued the robotic Josh Rosen who has perfect looking mechanics in a clean pocket. He would be the perfect QB for a flag football league. Mahomes was perfect for the actual NFL where you have athletic 300 lb guys trying to kill you.
[Reply]
DRM08 05:23 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
The ESPN, NFL network guys didn't get Mahomes. They were taught to look for consistent mechanics. Mahomes threw the ball differently every time and could throw from multiple arm slots.

Instead, they valued the robotic Josh Rosen who has perfect looking mechanics in a clean pocket. He would be the perfect QB for a flag football league. Mahomes was perfect for the actual NFL where you have athletic 300 lb guys trying to kill you.
Mahomes would do very well in flag football as well. He’s a big time natural playmaker.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 05:24 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This is going to be like Joe Montana being drafted. Everyone in the league will talk about how they loved Mahomes and planned to take him at the first possible opportunity and would have traded up to get him except for some unnamed executive at their organization who wouldn't allow it. Meanwhile, the NFL draft page listed him as the fourth-best QB prospect in 2017.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/pr...=ALL&year=2017
That didn’t age well.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:30 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by crispystl:
I never understood why....I mean I guess he had all the measurables, but he only started a few games so his sample size was tiny. Even then I didn’t see anything from him to warrant drafting him as early as the Bears did. It really was mind bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea. I remember he was all the rage leading up to the draft. But I never saw the play making ability like I saw in the Mahomes highlights.

I guess a lot of the Mahomes downgrades we’re Texas Tech/Air raid negativity
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:39 PM 11-27-2020
Jared Goff went #1 the year before and he played in Air Raid. But Mahomes went to Tech..the school where Mike Leach had once coached. If Mahomes had been at Cal he probably goes top 3.

Tech just was too much for the 80 year old scouts looking for the next West Coast QB.
[Reply]
PattyFlakes 05:42 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea. I remember he was all the rage leading up to the draft. But I never saw the play making ability like I saw in the Mahomes highlights.

The air raid thing, and the myth that Mahomes was some raw and reckless gunslinger who was going to turn the ball over a lot.
[Reply]
DRM08 05:51 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Jared Goff went #1 the year before and he played in Air Raid. But Mahomes went to Tech..the school where Mike Leach had once coached. If Mahomes had been at Cal he probably goes top 3.

Tech just was too much for the 80 year old scouts looking for the next West Coast QB.
Goff sucked his rookie year (2016) with Jeff Fisher. At the time Mahomes was drafted in spring 2017, many people likely believed Goff was on his way to being a bust. Goff’s early struggles did not help Mahomes or anyone else coming from Air Raid system.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:23 PM 11-27-2020
I think everyone looked at Mahomes helmet too much as well as the conference. Remember lots of folks saying Graham Harrell looked great in that offense and the Big 12 had bust after bust after bust after bust bc there was no defense or a pro style offense.

There wasn’t really anyone to compare Patrick to except Brett Favre, who is the all-time leader in interceptions. They saw his style of play and thought it was way too risky. I mean how many QB’s were like Patrick but successful? We just got through the Favre and Johnny football era with both of those polarizing players making disastrous mistakes extending plays. Of course GM’s and scouts were risk averse...there was no successful prototype of Patrick like the classic pocket QB’s that were the best in history.

I don’t care about any of that though. I get that your job is on the line as a GM and you likely get 1 shot to draft a QB, but I still can’t believe teams weren’t all over Patrick after the LSU game. I’ve never seen a QB in that bad of a position perform so incredibly well. The Baker game was the attention getter, but that LSU game should have been eye-opener that made teams want this guy at any cost.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:24 PM 11-27-2020
Patrick was going to go to a good spot no matter what. It was either Andy, Payton or Arians. All 3 are top level fits for him.
Perhaps he was more valued by coaches who could see a great quarterback even if he didn't fit the traditional mold.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:30 PM 11-27-2020
I think everyone looked at Mahomes helmet too much as well as the conference. Remember lots of folks saying Graham Harrell looked great in that offense and the Big 12 had bust after bust after bust after bust bc there was no defense or a pro style offense.

There wasn’t really anyone to compare Patrick to except Brett Favre, who is the all-time leader in interceptions. They saw his style of play and thought it was way too risky. I mean how many QB’s were like Patrick but successful? We just got through the Favre and Johnny football era with both of those polarizing players making disastrous mistakes extending plays. Of course GM’s and scouts were risk averse...there was no successful prototype of Patrick like the classic pocket QB’s that were the best in history.

I don’t care about any of that though. I get that your job is on the line as a GM and you likely get 1 shot to draft a QB, but I still can’t believe teams weren’t all over Patrick after the LSU game. I’ve never seen a QB in that bad of a position perform so incredibly well. The Baker game was the attention getter, but that LSU game should have been eye-opener that made teams want this guy at any cost.

I think these are great points. We think about football as a team thing, but the people making the decisions value their jobs first and foremost. Most of them will take a lower ceiling for a candidate if it means less risk for their job. Simultaneously, they're inclined to not roll the dice on a player with a high upside if he's not "a safe choice", because a failure there makes them look twice as bad because "everyone saw that it was a risky choice".

Interestingly, I see exactly the same thing in my work as a consultant. I'll often see clients pick a company that's completely mediocre, and everyone knows they're mediocre, but it's a choice that's easy to defend. That mediocre company usually has a long resume and it's easy to point at it and say, "Hey, look at that experience. It was logical for me to pick them." So you end up with some mediocre firm winning project after project in a particular field for no reason other than that they've won project after project.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:37 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Perhaps he was more valued by coaches who could see a great quarterback even if he didn't fit the traditional mold.
I think he was more valued by coaches that 1) recognized that NFL offenses are changing and 2) wanted to be ahead of that curve.

That's why you saw guys like Sean Payton targeting him.
[Reply]
DRM08 06:40 PM 11-27-2020

There was Aaron Rodgers. Where a lot of people blew it with Mahomes is they seriously underestimated his leadership ability, intelligence, and work ethic.
[Reply]
crispystl 06:48 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

I also had no idea Mahomes would be so good either, but he was an unknown to me. I live in NC so I saw some of Trubisky's games.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 07:12 PM 11-27-2020
I know that I wanted Mahomes in the 2017 draft and I was excited when he got drafted in KC. But, I have to give credit to the draftubators here for that. I read the evaluations of their picks every year. Geno Smith, Derek Carr, Deshaun Watson, and plenty more. But they had me sold on Mahomes more than any other,
[Reply]
Page 1960 of 2688
« First < 960146018601910195019561957195819591960 19611962196319641970201020602460 > Last »
Up