ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1022 of 2688
« First < 22522922972101210181019102010211022 102310241025102610321072112215222022 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
staylor26 01:26 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
That game is pretty interesting. That D is just pretty stacked and nasty. I'm interested to see how we attack it.

**** though, if our D could just be average.
I think that’s a game where the D will give us some confidence going forward.

They lost their LT for the year now, Fournette can’t stay healthy and even if he plays doesn’t scare me that much, and they don’t use the TE a lot. Bortles in Arrowhead. I think it’s a good matchup for us.

As for our O vs. their D, I have no idea what to expect. I feel like they might try to get away with Ramsey on Tyreek 1 on 1 and if they do, I think we make them pay on a big one.

Ramsey is really ****ing good, but he has never seen cheetah speed.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:27 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Keitzman loving him some Mahomes today.

Saying his interview today is the best we have heard.

My how things have changed huh?

Credit to KK for not doing what that guy's brother is doing, what a lot of haters are doing.

Which is moving the goalposts. Saying pump the brakes, he hasn't won a Super Bowl yet.

A SUPER BOWL?? Is that the new test to determine if he's got it??

Well I guess we'll just have to win a Super Bowl and then those guys will come out in public for their shaming on having a bad take, right?

Don't count on it.
[Reply]
O.city 01:28 PM 09-19-2018
What is Kietz saying today?
[Reply]
Jerm 01:29 PM 09-19-2018
I see today's boring ass media narrative is "wait until there's tape" or "wait until opponents adjust and see his weaknesses" blah blah blah....ok and then what?

So ridiculous. What is the tape going to tell you? Please tell me this fatal flaw he has that everyone is going to be able to exploit.

The guy can already manipulate his personnel and opposing personnel to get the match ups he wants and is moving people with his eyes like a 10 yr. pro.

But yup let's wait for the tape.....
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:30 PM 09-19-2018

Mahomes interview.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:30 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
"Defenses will adjust..."

HOW?!?!

That back shoulder toss to Watkins - Mahomes was beat. The defense had the right call. The blitz came over the correct side, the blitzer knocked Ware(?) the hell out of the way and the play was blown up. Mahomes takes a step backwards and falling off his back foot fires a lazer 18 yards downfield to hit Watkins dead in the chest at the sideline for a 1st down.

There. Is. No. Adjusting. To. That.

I do think we'll see some Man 2 deep attempts where they'll send 3, try to keep the top on the offense by sending two safeties back and then trying to clutter the intermediate zone with enough defenders to make it difficult to find someone. But that still won't beat a precise throw. He'll get 3 seconds or more to find someone and with that time, he'll do it more than he doesn't. But if I'm a DC, I hope for death by 1,000 papercuts and hope there's a hold that slows the drive or maybe an errant throw that gets tipped/picked.

Single-high has to die; teams absolutely cannot do that against this team. They will get abused time and time again. And I don't think a cover 2 or drop zone will work either because the offense is schemed too well; Andy will create mis-matches and force zone defenders into decisions that they can't win.

The Jags game is going to be fascinating. They have so many athletes on defense that they can play a 2 deep man and make it work. They also have the kind of DL to still get to the passer. It's amazing, but I'm actually looking past the Broncos game because they just don't concern me. Even if they win - who cares? We'll run them down when they fade in November/December like they always do.

I want to see how we stack up against the Jags, Pats and Rams - that's it. I care about how we do against SB contenders - the West is just a speedbump.
:-)

That is about as good analysis as you can get on what they have thrown at Mahomes. Excellent! You could charge for that content!

Denver thought they could just blitz Mahomes like crazy last year and he would get rattled. A good strategy against a rookie on the road for his first game? Wrong. He calmly found the open guy and made them pay every time.

So when I keep hearing "Teams will figure him out and start blitzing him into interceptions" it is laughable.

Go ahead and do what Denver did. Hunt will be glad to get the ball in wide open spaces. Easy completions for big plays!
[Reply]
Jerm 01:30 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by KC Hawks:
Both Mangini and Carter totally come off as butthurt buffoons...esp. Mangini, what the hell is he babbling about?
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:30 PM 09-19-2018
Last I heard Monday he was saying sit back and enjoy the ride because we finally got that guy you can count on for 15 to 20 years to be a superstar. I'll take that, guy needs to create something for controversy but he's not dumb enough to keep his head buried in the sand. You gonna fight to get Alex back now?
[Reply]
CrossCheck 01:38 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN:
Last I heard Monday he was saying sit back and enjoy the ride because we finally got that guy you can count on for 15 to 20 years to be a superstar. I'll take that, guy needs to create something for controversy but he's not dumb enough to keep his head buried in the sand. You gonna fight to get Alex back now?
A year ago he was arguing with any caller that was excited about Mahomes, I remember him laughing at some caller and guaranteed that Mahomes would not have a better career than Alex Smith. Now he's predicting a Super Bowl at some point from him.
[Reply]
prhom 01:40 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
In fairness, there's 'Smith open' and 'Mahomes open'.

Mahomes can rifle a ball into spaces that Smith just can't. The TD to Kelce is an obvious example, as was the TD to Robinson. Smith woulud've been an idiot to try either of those throws because his arm simply wouldn't allow him to execute them.

And that's more of a reflection of Mahomes than Smith. Smith has an average NFL arm; maybe a tick below but not egregiously so. Mahomes just has a damn howitzer.

I still wonder what the order of progressions was for Smith v. Mahomes. Mecca's right - Andy often sent guys downfield with Smith under center. I always assumed the reads were such that when you see an open player in your progression, you hit him (or the timing falls to hell). So when he'd hit that 7 yard cross instead of taking it downfield, it seemed to me like it was a feature of the offense - that's where he was supposed to look first and if it's there, take it.

But when you watch Mahomes, it seems the progressions are reversed and he looks outside to in. Smith's doing the same thing in Washington he did here, meanwhile Mahomes looks like he's playing a different sport. Hard to say that it wasn't on Smith rather than Reid at this point.
You make a good point, and the difference in skill set is not lost on me. I guess I agree with you about the blame being on Smith vs Reid though. I think we saw that Reid was able to get guys really open through scheme and the talent of the receivers, Smith just wasn’t as good at seeing it or taking advantage of it when it happened. I recall an advanced stat from last year that KC had the greatest degree of separation on receptions in the league, and it wasn’t close. Smith had his best season taking advantage of that. Now we are seeing what happens when a better arm talent has similar opportunities, and it’s unreal.
[Reply]
Mahomer 01:42 PM 09-19-2018

[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:44 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by CrossCheck:
A year ago he was arguing with any caller that was excited about Mahomes, I remember him laughing at some caller and guaranteed that Mahomes would not have a better career than Alex Smith. Now he's predicting a Super Bowl at some point from him.
No doubt, he's a blowhard on the radio trying to get ratings and stir up crap.
[Reply]
SAUTO 01:48 PM 09-19-2018
[QUOTE=DJ's
The Jags game is going to be fascinating. They have so many athletes on defense that they can play a 2 deep man and make it work. They also have the kind of DL to still get to the passer. It's amazing, but I'm actually looking past the Broncos game because they just don't concern me. Even if they win - who cares? We'll run them down when they fade in November/December like they always do.

I want to see how we stack up against the Jags, Pats and Rams - that's it. I care about how we do against SB contenders - the West is just a speedbump.[/QUOTE]
There is going to be serious talk about mahomes being the best qb in the NFL after the jags game.

You heard it here first.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:50 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by CrossCheck:

That was his argument.

We are getting rid of Alex Smith, who is a winner for a kid from Texas Tech who never beat a good team. Mahomes would never have a career as good as Alex Smith.

My how times have changed.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:57 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Denver thought they could just blitz Mahomes like crazy last year and he would get rattled. A good strategy against a rookie on the road for his first game? Wrong. He calmly found the open guy and made them pay every time.

Blitz him.

He'll do what Brady does - he'll find the blitz and he'll throw at it. With as many dangerous weapons as we can put in the pattern, you can't blitz AND play man; the math doesn't add up. So all you can do is blitz and throw a zone at him.

Well if you're blitzing, you're opening a hole in the zone where the blitzer is coming from. Smith would run away from the blitz and try to buy time for one of his receivers to find a hole and sit in the zone. Mahomes does the opposite - he stands there, looks right through the blitzing player and throws into the opening. He did it 3-4 times against Pittsburgh. He's just not the slightest bit afraid of those blitzes.

The only way to make a blitz work against him is to disguise the hell out of it but even that is difficult with as much motion as the Chiefs use. How can you keep a blitz disguised when you have 2-3 guys changing where they are in the formation? Or you just selectively deploy them and hope you catch him napping.

Which is where I get back to the death by 1,000 papercuts approach. I'd play a shitload of 2 deep man and try to lull him to sleep - then send a safety or something off the edge and try to catch him off guard.

Mostly, if I'm a defensive coordinator, I have an ulcer for a week and hope I get to face Gruden's "1995" offense the following game.
[Reply]
Page 1022 of 2688
« First < 22522922972101210181019102010211022 102310241025102610321072112215222022 > Last »
Up