ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Random video mashup from a few comics on pc culture
mr. tegu 07:01 PM 02-22-2021
Thereís a lot of truth and wisdom here. Perhaps it didnít need its own thread but I also didnít want it to get buried somewhere. Iíd be curious if thereís much that can be disagreed with in it. The old clip of John Cleese still holds up as well.

https://youtu.be/p1ISlncjCbU
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 11:03 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
I don't know which clubs you've been to but I've gone to comedy clubs off and on for 40 years...and most recent issues I've seen between the comedians and the audience are PC issues...and the CORRECT behavior IS to get up and leave and not ruin the night for people who paid good money to laugh...so people who get up, like the religious people you mention, and leave should be applauded for doing so, not mocked.
I have a very good friend from here in KC that is a comedian so I went to a lot of clubs around here and in Columbia when he was first coming up. Iíve seen him perform multiple shows in Brooklyn, Vegas, Chicago and LA. The only times Iíve ever seen people visibly disgusted by a joke have been here in KC, Springfield, Columbia and one time in Vegas. The Vegas one was for a pretty distasteful joke about Downís syndrome, and all the others were about Christianity. If you think walking out during the middle of a set is the right thing to do if you disagree with a joke than please just stay home. Depends on the club I suppose, but these exits were obvious distractions to up and coming comedians in the smaller clubs.

Iíve personally never seen anyone heckling a comedian over these PC issues. Iíve seen the left go bat shit crazy and pull jokes out of context to build a story out of nothing and then run with it to crazy extremes. Thatís a whole different level of PC bullshit. Most of the people offended in night clubs from my experience are religious nuts. I do live here in the Midwest Bible Belt, though, so that can be expected I suppose to a certain extent.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:12 AM 02-23-2021
I just wanted to pop in and say how much I love Ricky Gervais. The guy is amazing.
[Reply]
Hydrae 11:23 AM 02-23-2021
Did you catch the graphic at the very end? It was only visible for the last couple of seconds but is oh so true.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:34 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
Oh, the leftist thing is directed at me. That went right over my head actually considering I’m not a fucking leftist. It’s not all left and right idiot.

Be a better human.

First, I don't believe anyone has the right to not be offended.

Second, I have no problem with jokes of any kind, though I think people should understand the concept of "time and place" sensibilities. In other words, if you want to make holocaust jokes, have at it, but be respectful enough not to make them at the funeral of a holocaust survivor who had no sense of humor on the subject.

Third, there's nothing wrong with walking out on something that's not your cup of tea. If you think a movie sucks, there's no reason for you to have to watch the whole thing. If a dinner sucks, you don't have to order dessert. If a party is lame, you don't have to stay until everyone has left. Just don't be an asshole about leaving.

Fourth, to repeat:

Originally Posted by :
Your post might make a bit of sense if I'd been even the slightest bit offended by your take. However, I wasn't. I just pointed out that, on this issue, the left needs to remove the plank from its own eye before worrying about the splinter in the eyes of the religious. That you either couldn't, or wouldn't, figure that out demonstrates that it's you who is the idiot here.

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:58 PM 02-23-2021
I absolutely agree that the only standard in comedy should be whether or not it makes people laugh. Every topic should be fair game.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:45 PM 02-23-2021
I remember seeing George Carlin downtown KC 1994 or so.

Some guy got offended and walked out. Dude. It was Carlin. He made fun of everyone.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:02 PM 02-23-2021
Itís crazy the amount of religious people who get offended at comedy clubs. Iíve seen people walk out of a few comedy clubs in disgust after some pretty distasteful jokes about their religion. Iíve even seen a couple people speak up by mistake and get blasted as they were leaving the club. If youíre that religious you should probably just stay away from comedy clubs. Someone is going to offend you. Go hide in your basement with your bibles.
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Given that the left gets offended to the point of cancelling comedians, for a whole host of imagined offenses and minimal slights, this is yet another example of where you leftists should shut the fuck up until you get your own house in order.
Right on cue the religious portion of my comment offended this idiot so much that it became an argument instead of an observation. That religion brings out the worst in all of you idiots. Iím speaking of personal experiences in comedy clubs not whatever nonsense youíre trying to make this about.
People have their opinions and are generally entitled to them.

Do you feel it worse for someone to attend a comic, get offended, and leave in a huff, . . . or hear about a comedian, get offended, and initiate a campaign to push them out of the business nationwide?
[Reply]
fan4ever 06:05 PM 02-23-2021
I have a very good friend from here in KC that is a comedian so I went to a lot of clubs around here and in Columbia when he was first coming up. Iíve seen him perform multiple shows in Brooklyn, Vegas, Chicago and LA. The only times Iíve ever seen people visibly disgusted by a joke have been here in KC, Springfield, Columbia and one time in Vegas. The Vegas one was for a pretty distasteful joke about Downís syndrome, and all the others were about Christianity. If you think walking out during the middle of a set is the right thing to do if you disagree with a joke than please just stay home. Depends on the club I suppose, but these exits were obvious distractions to up and coming comedians in the smaller clubs.

Iíve personally never seen anyone heckling a comedian over these PC issues. Iíve seen the left go bat shit crazy and pull jokes out of context to build a story out of nothing and then run with it to crazy extremes. Thatís a whole different level of PC bullshit. Most of the people offended in night clubs from my experience are religious nuts. I do live here in the Midwest Bible Belt, though, so that can be expected I suppose to a certain extent.
Yes, walking out in the middle of a set is better than heckling and getting the comic off track or inviting others to join in the fray. I went to a show where an opener was really graphic sexually. One of the girls I was with went into the lobby and waited for the headliner who's material we were familiar with. Telling people to stay home when they don't know what is going to be joked about isn't realistic or fair.
[Reply]
fan4ever 06:18 PM 02-23-2021
This is long but I got thrown out of a Paula Poundstone show back in the day. Opener sucked...she sucked...she was trying new material that was bombing badly. She read the audience and said "What do you want me to do?" and I blurted out "Finish early". I was pretty lit so I didn't realize how loudly I said it even though I was sitting in the back...she heard it...and so did just about everybody else. She said "I'll take care of this" and I expected to be ripped apart...most comedians know how to handle these situations...and she came back with some really lame stuff. The bouncers came up to me and told me if I said another word I'd be gone. So after a few more minutes of being lame she started calling me out "What happened to the loud mouth in the back?" she asked a couple of times...I finally said "I'm still here"...she said "You're keeping awfully quiet...what happened?" and I said "The bouncers told me to shut up". "Oh, they did? You find those bouncers pretty intimidating, do you?" I said "A lot more than your wit." I got the biggest laugh of the night and I was outta there. I told the bouncers "Hey...she came at me..." They said they knew and handed me a envelope with tickets for the following weeks comedian. This was the Improv in Tempe...years ago of course. Moral of the story? Don't let your wife talk you into going to see Paula Poundstone.
[Reply]
Dayze 08:40 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
This is long but I got thrown out of a Paula Poundstone show back in the day. Opener sucked...she sucked...she was trying new material that was bombing badly. She read the audience and said "What do you want me to do?" and I blurted out "Finish early". I was pretty lit so I didn't realize how loudly I said it even though I was sitting in the back...she heard it...and so did just about everybody else. She said "I'll take care of this" and I expected to be ripped apart...most comedians know how to handle these situations...and she came back with some really lame stuff. The bouncers came up to me and told me if I said another word I'd be gone. So after a few more minutes of being lame she started calling me out "What happened to the loud mouth in the back?" she asked a couple of times...I finally said "I'm still here"...she said "You're keeping awfully quiet...what happened?" and I said "The bouncers told me to shut up". "Oh, they did? You find those bouncers pretty intimidating, do you?" I said "A lot more than your wit." I got the biggest laugh of the night and I was outta there. I told the bouncers "Hey...she came at me..." They said they knew and handed me a envelope with tickets for the following weeks comedian. This was the Improv in Tempe...years ago of course. Moral of the story? Don't let your wife talk you into going to see Paula Poundstone.
:-)
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 08:06 AM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
People have their opinions and are generally entitled to them.

Do you feel it worse for someone to attend a comic, get offended, and leave in a huff, . . . or hear about a comedian, get offended, and initiate a campaign to push them out of the business nationwide?
Without a doubt the latter is worse. I mean look at what all of those religious organizations tried doing to Howard Stern when he was on terrestrial radio. Could you imagine if someone like Bush was still in office how bad all of this PC bullshit would be. Those FCC fines during his administration were a complete joke.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up