ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL to potentially use optical tracking system to measure 1st Downs for 2024
SHOWTIME 07:03 PM 05-21-2024

The NFL is preparing to test optical tracking for line-to-gain rulings this preseason, with the chance for it to be implemented fully in the 2024 regular season, sources tell @NFLonCBS. Chains would be a backup if this is a success https://t.co/F4K2f28do1

— Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) May 21, 2024

Originally Posted by :
All game footballs are microchipped and have been for years. But this technology doesn't employ the chip and instead relies entirely on optical tracking. The system, which was used at MetLife Stadium and Hard Rock Stadium last year, would need to be installed across all 30 NFL stadiums as well as any international stadium where NFL games are played.
Originally Posted by :
If the system works, it would make for a more accurate measuring system that reduces the amount of human error. If the league sees there are problems such as latency issues in the preseason, the move can be tabled until 2025 with the chain crew continuing to do the same job as always.

[Reply]
MMXcalibur 07:06 PM 05-21-2024
I also have an optical tracking system: my eyes.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:11 PM 05-21-2024
If they’re gong to use it, they should use it for every down.
[Reply]
Otter 08:09 PM 05-21-2024
Not sure if I like this or not. Kinda takes the humanity out of the game.
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 08:28 PM 05-21-2024
Yet they have no answer for the most important measurement, the goal line.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 08:29 PM 05-21-2024
Would like to see Carl Cheffers measure Chris Jones’ hawg lmao
[Reply]
threebag 08:44 PM 05-21-2024
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Would like to see Carl Cheffers measure Chris Jones’ hawg lmao
He can’t, his uvula gets in the way
[Reply]
ThrobProng 07:52 AM 05-22-2024
Makes sense. The current system seems pretty shoddy, like that time when a ref used an index card to determine if a spot had resulted in a first down.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:54 AM 05-22-2024
I wish there were more details on exactly what this system does. It sounds to me like it's just something they'd use for first-down MEASUREMENTS rather than something that would help them SPOT the ball. The latter is the bigger issue, so I'm skeptical this will change much aside from cutting down the time to have the chain gang run out there once or twice a game.
[Reply]
Hog Rider 08:07 AM 05-22-2024
Now we can trust computer software in the age of gambling instead of your lying eyes and HD cameras.

I hope they figure it out, but sounds like a fail to me. I can see it in specific situations, but don't feel it will be as accurate as a baseball strike zone.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:11 AM 05-22-2024
Finally
[Reply]
scho63 08:12 AM 05-22-2024
Not sure why they can't integrate a sensor into both ends of the football and know exactly where the forward progress ends.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:17 AM 05-22-2024
How would this help if it’s a reach over the line to gain type of play? The ball can be reached if it crosses, but you still need to determine if the runner was down before that happened. And that’s usually 90% of the contention in that type of play.

Dunno. Give it a shot, sure, but I don’t know if I see its value
[Reply]
Hog Rider 08:20 AM 05-22-2024
Originally Posted by scho63:
Not sure why they can't integrate a sensor into both ends of the football and know exactly where the forward progress ends.
Ball not always pointy north and southy. And ball not knowy when carrier is down by contact.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:21 AM 05-22-2024
Originally Posted by scho63:
It sounds like they might already have it. Putting myself in their shoes, though, I can come up with a variety of issues with it:

- It wouldn't be accurate in cases where forward progress is stopped but the pile lunges forward after the whistle is blown.
- Similarly, it wouldn't be accurate when the key question is when the runner is down.
- Just in general, it would be difficult to relay the "correct" ball placement down to the field. For example, if the system said that the ball should be at the 47.382 yard line, how does the ref place the ball at that spot? I don't want refs carrying around yard sticks out there.

Could they get around all of that? Maybe. You could sync audio/video timestamps up with the sensor data to address the first two. You could say that they aren't literally measuring the placement but are only using it when a first down (or touchdown) is in question. But all of that makes it more complicated, and the NFL tends to err on the side of keeping a little of the human element in the game, and it would be admittedly unsatisfying to have them just tell us what they computers say rather than giving fans something to debate.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up