ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>My favorite mad scientist playcall from Spags Week 1
Direckshun 09:52 PM 09-17-2020
It was on the third play of the season. :-) Amusing.

Now, I don't have any fancy pants GIFs that make everything sexy, so instead I'll use the method I used back when I was a n00b and just go all MicroSoft Paint up in here.

Chris Jones lines up over the center, with Niemann and Frank Clark standing to both sides of him, Kpass and Okafor playing wide 9. Sorensen also creeping up at the line of scrimmage, and Antonio Hamilton in the slot right up at the line of scrimmage and peeking into the backfield.

Who's coming? Turns out: almost everyone, with two hilarious exceptions.

Hamilton blitzes. Sorensen blitzes. Niemann blitzes. All to the same side. Right as they do, the left tackle false starts for whatever reason, and the play is blown dead.

However, look who the Chiefs drop into coverage: Chris Jones and Frank Clark. And not only does Spags drop them into coverage, but he criss crosses them. What!?

Ballsy, and it created pressure immediately as Hamilton was in Watson's face and sent him scrambling as the play was blown dead. But faulty -- Clark didn't find his guy, which was a tight end rolling out as the hot route, and Jones showed good speed but was an easy five yards off David Johnson before the play was called dead.

Hard to blame the players on this, as they had too much ground to cover for big dudes not used to dropping into coverage. Hard to fault Spags either; he was successful in pressuring Watson off the bat.

Just a weird mad scientist playcall I was particularly fond of.

Now watch one of you smart asses gif it.
:-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:00 PM 09-17-2020
Wow.

[Reply]
Direckshun 10:01 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Wow.

Boom!

Edit: rewatching this, and Chris Jones actually looks pretty tight in that coverage. Clark is just out wandering the pasture, though.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:26 PM 09-17-2020
Clark was asked about this today lol. He said he needs to work on his backpedal. He said he will be covering Tight Ends coming up which for me thinking since our LBs can’t cover for shit maybe Clark can
[Reply]
bobhill 04:47 AM 09-18-2020
Where is Frank Clark on that play?
[Reply]
bobhill 04:51 AM 09-18-2020
I think i found him
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:29 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by bobhill:
Where is Frank Clark on that play?
Originally Posted by bobhill:
I think i found him
Literally charted for you, bub.
[Reply]
Dante84 07:51 AM 09-18-2020
What I don’t like is that it leaves a wide open lane for Watson, a very mobile QB, to run through.

I like this play for when we go against a statue like Brady.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:56 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
What I don’t like is that it leaves a wide open lane for Watson, a very mobile QB, to run through.

I like this play for when we go against a statue like Brady.
To be fair to the play, Watson did run for that hole, but had Hamilton closing in with Badger/Jones closing down.

That play was going, probably, for a yard or two.
[Reply]
Dante84 09:19 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
To be fair to the play, Watson did run for that hole, but had Hamilton closing in with Badger/Jones closing down.

That play was going, probably, for a yard or two.
I dunno, I think he has a decent shot at a first down if he dives ahead to his left if that play continues. Jones was shifting his attention back to Watson, closing off Watson's right. I still think with his speed and ability he could get a first down unless Nieman makes the snag.

He's one of like, 6 QB's who could do that though. I hope we run that against Brady, Tannehill, Lock, Carr, Brees, & Ryan.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 01:25 PM 09-18-2020
Zach Fulton looked thoroughly confused about his assignment.

[Reply]
Megatron96 02:32 PM 09-18-2020
That is a wild ass play. I think that was supposed to be a sack for 20. But if he doesn't get Watson, the design basically funnels him right into Chris Jones, with HB right there to clean up. Niemann is right there on his left, so there's no cut-back lane, there's no way Watson can complete a pass on the right, so his only option is to try to take on CJ or run for the sideline.

The other thing is what exactly is Spags building on here? From that "Time's Yours" clip, we know that Spags wants to build his plan with each successive play. He doesn't just call plays reactively; he calls plays within a context.

I think it would be interesting to eventually find out what he was thinking when he inserted this play into his gameplan.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:44 PM 09-18-2020
Not a fan.

Putting your best two DL's into coverage is getting too cutsie.

I'm having PTSD of Greg Robinson dropping Vonnie Holiday into coverage.

No fucking thanks.
[Reply]
wazu 02:48 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Not a fan.

No fucking thanks.
At this point I think we're just fucking with people because it's fun.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:52 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Not a fan.

No ****ing thanks.
I mean, that's exactly why you do it. The O-line is absolutely planning to block those two.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up