ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2525 of 3903
« First < 1525202524252475251525212522252325242525 252625272528252925352575262530253525 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 10:16 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Ronazona

Cases: 7-Day avg continues to rise, both in cases and deaths. This is the highest death total added in a single report (1st triple digit day), likely catching up for the lag in death reporting over the last two days.

Testing: PCR Testing dropped by about 2.5K since yesterday.

Spread: Overall PCR positive test percentage went up from 13.4% to 13.6% (based on 628K tests, up from a 6.6% low) and the average for this week is 19% (but only based on 748 cases, down from 22% the previous week).

Hospital Utilization: COVID Hospitalizations went up 4.5% (another all time high). ICU beds for COVID patients went up 3.5% (Overall ICU bed usage went up 89% to 90%). Ventilators in use for COVID went up 2%. Intubations for Respiratory Distress stayed in triple digits (111).

Data Source: ADHS

CHARTS
Considering they only reported 1 death yesterday I would say there was a bit of a backlog.
[Reply]
eDave 10:19 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Considering they only reported 1 death yesterday I would say there was a bit of a backlog.
Yup. I don't post Monday numbers cause they mean dick.
[Reply]
loochy 10:24 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
A friend posted this about his fiancee's friend:

Yes it's anecdotal. But there are lots of similar stories out there. Until I know the odds of this happening are vanishingly small, it will continue to be my biggest concern.
The odds ARE vanishingly small...how many people do you know that have had this happen? How many people have you READ about that have had this happen?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:27 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Yup. I don't post Monday numbers cause they mean dick.
Generally speaking they do if you compare them to the same day a week prior. Yesterday for AZ though was a clear anomaly.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:31 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
The odds ARE vanishingly small...how many people do you know that have had this happen? How many people have you READ about that have had this happen?
I know 4 people who have had covid, and one is still having intestinal issues months later. So I may actually know one. But nothing as bad as what I posted.

I've read about dozens. It's definitely happening. It's all over medical journals. Plenty of first-person testimonials. Some people are having very serious long-term consequences. Of course we're not going to have good data on this yet since this virus is brand new. Long term health issues are a bigger lag than even deaths. But you really have to stick your head in the sand to pretend this isn't a thing.

So how do you know the odds are vanishingly small? Because you want it to be? Would you risk a 1-2% chance of this happening if you catch covid? I'd rather not.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:35 AM 07-07-2020
Zero.

Dozens.

How do you know the odds are vanishingly small? Because you want it to be? Would you risk a 1-2% chance of this happening if you catch covid? I'd rather not.
So you have a 98% - 99% chance of this not happening. Your expectation of 100% safety is pretty much impossible to ever achieve with Covid or anything else in life for that matter.
[Reply]
loochy 10:35 AM 07-07-2020
What? Just because I don't know someone personally, that makes it vanishingly small? What kind of logic is that? I also don't know anyone who's died of covid. But I know it happens.

Still I know 4 people who have had covid, and one is still having intestinal issues months later. So possibly one.

I've read about dozens. It's definitely happening.

How do you know the odds are vanishingly small? Because you want it to be? Would you risk a 1-2% chance of this happening if you catch covid? I'd rather not.
You've read about dozens. If tons of people had it, you'd be reading about way more than dozens.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 10:36 AM 07-07-2020
Hey how's everyone doing here?
[Reply]
loochy 10:39 AM 07-07-2020
What? Just because I don't know someone personally, that makes it vanishingly small? What kind of logic is that? I also don't know anyone who's died of covid. But I know it happens.

I know 4 people who have had covid, and one is still having intestinal issues months later. So I may actually know one. But nothing as bad as what I posted.

I've read about dozens. It's definitely happening. It's all over medical journals. Plenty of first-person testimonials. Some people are having very serious long-term consequences.

So how do you know the odds are vanishingly small? Because you want it to be? Would you risk a 1-2% chance of this happening if you catch covid? I'd rather not.
You remind me of my son when there's a thunderstorm. "DADDY WILL TEHRE BE A TORNADO? Daddy, I'm scared."

No buddy, there probably won't be a tornado...but there could be one. If there is one, it probably won't be here. If it is here, it probably won't do much damage anyway. If it does do damage, we'll probably be safe in the hall by the laundry room.

Yes, it could happen. Just take shelter when you need to and don't worry about it. (i.e. wear a mask, keep your space, be prudent but go ahead and live life and stop being afraid) If it still gets you then it gets you and there probably wasn't anything you could do about it anyway.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:40 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Hey how's everyone doing here?
Thread has Covid
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:40 AM 07-07-2020
You've read about dozens. If tons of people had it, you'd be reading about way more than dozens.
This is ridiculous. You expect every single person to get their own article? Plenty of articles mention more than one person. You're making up a nonsensical standard.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...igue-syndrome/

Originally Posted by :
Yesterday’s Business Insider story, “Meet the ‘long-haulers’: A growing chorus of coronavirus patients have had symptoms for more than 100 days”, noted that many “long-haulers” are younger and were never hospitalized. Normal blood tests, and tests indicating that they’ve cleared the infection, have left them medical mysteries to the medical profession. While the story does mention infectious mononucleosis, it does not mention ME/CFS.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-symptoms-who

Originally Posted by :
While that may be the case for some people who get Covid-19, emerging medical research as well as anecdotal evidence from recovery support groups suggest that many survivors of “mild” Covid-19 are not so lucky. They experience lasting side-effects, and doctors are still trying to understand the ramifications.

Some of these side effects can be fatal. According to Dr Christopher Kellner, a professor of neurosurgery at Mount Sinai hospital in New York, “mild” cases of Covid-19 in which the patient was not hospitalized for the virus have been linked to blood clotting and severe strokes in people as young as 30. In May, Kellner told Healthline that Mount Sinai had implemented a plan to give anticoagulant drugs to people with Covid-19 to prevent the strokes they were seeing in “younger patients with no or mild symptoms”.

Doctors now know that Covid-19 not only affects the lungs and blood, but kidneys, liver and brain – the last potentially resulting in chronic fatigue and depression, among other symptoms. Although the virus is not yet old enough for long-term effects on those organs to be well understood, they may manifest regardless of whether a patient ever required hospitalization, hindering their recovery process.
Originally Posted by :
Another troubling phenomenon now coming into focus is that of “long-haul” Covid-19 sufferers – people whose experience of the illness has lasted months. For a Dutch report published earlier this month (an excerpt is translated here) researchers surveyed 1,622 Covid-19 patients with an average age of 53, who reported a number of enduring symptoms, including intense fatigue (88%) persistent shortness of breath (75%) and chest pressure (45%). Ninety-one per cent of the patients weren’t hospitalized, suggesting they suffered these side-effects despite their cases of Covid-19 qualifying as “mild”. While 85% of the surveyed patients considered themselves generally healthy before having Covid-19, only 6% still did so one month or more after getting the virus.
So there's 1,622 right there that they rounded up just for a survey. Doesn't sound vanishingly small.

Feel free to go out there and be the guinea pig for how common this really is. I'll wait for more data to come in.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:43 AM 07-07-2020
You remind me of my son when there's a thunderstorm. "DADDY WILL TEHRE BE A TORNADO? Daddy, I'm scared."

No buddy, there probably won't be a tornado...but there could be one. If there is one, it probably won't be here. If it is here, it probably won't do much damage anyway. If it does do damage, we'll probably be safe in the hall by the laundry room.

Yes, it could happen. Just take shelter when you need to and don't worry about it. (i.e. wear a mask, keep your space, be prudent but go ahead and live life and stop being afraid)
Why would you need to take shelter the odds of dying to a tornado or lighting strike are pretty low?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:45 AM 07-07-2020
This is ridiculous. You expect every single person to get their own article?

Plenty of articles mention more than one person.

You're making up a nonsensical standard.
I would have to say you are as well. If 1,000 people had residual damage or longer lasting symptoms out of the presumed 25 million people who have had this then you are still looking a ridiculously low percentage of like .004% or something. Even if you took the known cases at face value it would be .04%.

At face value you would have to have at least 250,000 people with damage like this to reach the 1% mark. And using the presumed cases you would have to have 2.5 million.

Let's just keep some perspective.
[Reply]
loochy 10:46 AM 07-07-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Why would you need to take shelter the odds of dying to a tornado or lighting strike are pretty low?
If it's happening near you then take appropriate precautions. If it's still just a thunderstorm then take a chill pill and don't be scared. Just pay attention.

I'm not anti distancing or anti mask.

I'm anti fear.

So quit trying to pin me to a particular side of your political argument.
[Reply]
loochy 10:47 AM 07-07-2020
This is ridiculous. You expect every single person to get their own article? Plenty of articles mention more than one person. You're making up a nonsensical standard.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...igue-syndrome/

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-symptoms-who

So there's 1,622 right there that they rounded up just for a survey. Doesn't sound vanishingly small.

Feel free to go out there and be the guinea pig for how common this really is. I'll wait for more data to come in.
Who said anything about being a guinea pig. I was just talking about quit being so scared of things that are beyond your control. Just pay attention to what you are doing that that's the best you can do.
[Reply]
Page 2525 of 3903
« First < 1525202524252475251525212522252325242525 252625272528252925352575262530253525 > Last »
Up