ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2337 of 3903
« First < 1337183722372287232723332334233523362337 233823392340234123472387243728373337 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 01:07 PM 06-15-2020
See, it's this kind of shit that makes people want to say "enough of this crap". Either you're going to contact trace or you aren't. It's hard to take this shit seriously when politics seems to always provide excuses one way or the other

"Contract tracers" in NYC have been "instructed" not to ask people if they've attended recent protests. Which will of course limit our understanding of how much these mass gatherings contributed to virus spread. Probably by design: they don't WANT to knowhttps://t.co/LfbAp9LfMs

— Michael Tracey (@mtracey) June 15, 2020

[Reply]
DaFace 01:18 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
See, it's this kind of shit that makes people want to say "enough of this crap". Either you're going to contact trace or you aren't. It's hard to take this shit seriously when politics seems to always provide excuses one way or the other

Did you read the article? It's not that they're ignoring the possibility that people have been to protests, they're just not calling it out specifically any more than they're asking people if they've been to a grocery store. It's open-ended vs. closed-ended.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:20 PM 06-15-2020
People didn't mind using NY in their arguments when NY was inflating the numbers. Why should we grant such an exception now?
Who ever said NY wasn't inflating the numbers?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:40 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Did you read the article? It's not that they're ignoring the possibility that people have been to protests, they're just not calling it out specifically any more than they're asking people if they've been to a grocery store. It's open-ended vs. closed-ended.
:-)

Originally Posted by :
“No person will be asked proactively if they attended a protest,” Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for de Blasio, wrote in an emailed response to questions by THE CITY.

Instead, test-and-trace workers ask COVID-positive individuals general questions to help them “recall ‘contacts’ and individuals they may have exposed,” Cohen said. Among the initial questions: “Do you live with anyone in your home?”

I mean are we trying to contact trace or not? "Were you are a protest surrounded by literally 1,000's of other people?" is a very relevant fucking question.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:41 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Who ever said NY wasn't inflating the numbers?
Context.....read what was said before you reply.

NY's numbers were significantly higher than the rest of the country thus inflating the numbers for the entire country. Mecca is arguing the converse.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:41 PM 06-15-2020

I mean are we trying to contact trace or not? "Were you are a protest surrounded by literally 1,000's of other people?" is a very relevant fucking question.
I don't have my box of crayons today. Sorry.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:42 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't have my box of crayons today. Sorry.
Whatever......
[Reply]
Donger 01:57 PM 06-15-2020
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/polit...ort/index.html

(CNN)New numbers released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer a comprehensive picture of who in the United States has been diagnosed with Covid-19 and how they fared.

The latest figures confirm that older people, minorities and those with preexisting health conditions are at the highest risk of death.

There was a total of 1,761,503 cases of Covid-19 and 103,700 related deaths in the country between January 22 (when the first case was confirmed) and May 30, according to the surveillance report, published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The data come from local, state and federal sources and is consistent with those reported through the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center.

Overall, 184,673 (14%) patients were hospitalized, 29,837 (2%) were admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU), and 71,116 (5%) died. Hospitalizations are six times higher and deaths are 12 times higher among those who reported underlying conditions. The most common underlying conditions were cardiovascular disease (32%), diabetes (30%) and chronic lung disease (18%).
[Reply]
TLO 02:19 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/polit...ort/index.html

(CNN)New numbers released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer a comprehensive picture of who in the United States has been diagnosed with Covid-19 and how they fared.

The latest figures confirm that older people, minorities and those with preexisting health conditions are at the highest risk of death.

There was a total of 1,761,503 cases of Covid-19 and 103,700 related deaths in the country between January 22 (when the first case was confirmed) and May 30, according to the surveillance report, published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The data come from local, state and federal sources and is consistent with those reported through the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center.

Overall, 184,673 (14%) patients were hospitalized, 29,837 (2%) were admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU), and 71,116 (5%) died. Hospitalizations are six times higher and deaths are 12 times higher among those who reported underlying conditions. The most common underlying conditions were cardiovascular disease (32%), diabetes (30%) and chronic lung disease (18%).
Maybe I'm blind but is the actual CDC report available somewhere to read?
[Reply]
Donger 02:25 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Maybe I'm blind but is the actual CDC report available somewhere to read?
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6924e2_w
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:33 PM 06-15-2020

No person will be asked proactively if they attended a protest,” Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for de Blasio, wrote in an emailed response to questions by THE CITY.

Instead, test-and-trace workers ask COVID-positive individuals general questions to help them “recall ‘contacts’ and individuals they may have exposed,” Cohen said. Among the initial questions: “Do you live with anyone in your home?”

I mean are we trying to contact trace or not? "Were you are a protest surrounded by literally 1,000's of other people?" is a very relevant ****ing question.
Just because they're not going in and asking every single person if they were at a protest doesn't mean they won't ask questions that will lead into the patient saying they were at a protest.

Instead of asking "were you involved in any protests" they ask "can you recall a time you were around a large group of people". Both questions accomplish the same thing, but you have to find something to bitch about.
[Reply]
Pants 03:02 PM 06-15-2020
Someone brought the crayons out for pete.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:15 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Where was it not necessary?
If the country had done a better job of rolling out testing, we might have been able to answer that.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:21 PM 06-15-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
My last post for a bit then you can tune back in to the Pete and Donger show.

The reason I nailed it and some of you missed was I was out and about while you all did what was asked and bunkered down. I knew that the 90% number or whatever was floated around about how many were actually social distancing was bull shit. A lot of you bought it since you wanted to believe the original model could not be that far off. Because science!

So when things "opened" not much actually changed. The damage was done and that's why you see the death numbers way below what many expected and probably why Fauci understands a second wave may not happen.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.
I'm sure it varied a lot by place. I cross I-80 fairly frequently to go to the grocery store or pick up take out. At the end of March during the 4:30~5:30 commute hours, where it used to be four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic, the traffic was so light it could have all been carried on a single lane.

Maybe your area didn't social distance. The region around where I live certainly did.

Maybe your area didn't need to. I'm close enough to SF and Universities with foreign students from Asia and other Asian and international contacts, I'm sure it made a difference.

Traffic on I-80 has since grown a lot but I still haven't seen it bumper to bumper like it used to be.

In the last month, I have not seen a single person in a grocery store without a mask. So maybe in a few months they will be able to crunch the data and see if, or how much, difference it makes.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:26 PM 06-15-2020
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...cities/612979/

Fear of Public Transit Got Ahead of the Evidence
Many have blamed subways and buses for coronavirus outbreaks, but a growing body of research suggests otherwise.

JUNE 14, 2020

The assumption that transit was accelerating infections stoked public fears and quickly hardened into conventional wisdom. “Subways, trains and buses are sitting empty around the world,” a Washington Post headline intoned in a May headline, adding, “It’s not clear if riders will return.” When the New York Stock Exchange reopened in May, traders were required to avoid public transportation.

Underlying that rule is an assumption of danger that, so far, research has not borne out. A recent study in Paris found that none of 150 identified coronavirus infection clusters from early May to early June originated on the city’s transit systems. A similar study in Austria found that not one of 355 case clusters in April and May was traceable to riding transit. Though these systems, like their American counterparts, were carrying fewer riders at a lower density than before the pandemic, the results suggest a far less sinister role for transit than the MIT report described.

If transit itself were a global super-spreader, then a large outbreak would have been expected in dense Hong Kong, a city of 7.5 million people dependent on a public transportation system that, before the pandemic, was carrying 12.9 million people a day. Ridership there, according to the Post, fell considerably less than in other transit systems around the world. Yet Hong Kong has recorded only about 1,100 COVID-19 cases, one-tenth the number in Kansas, which has fewer than half as many people. Replicating Hong Kong’s success may involve safety measures, such as mask wearing, that are not yet ingrained in the U.S., but the evidence only underscores that the coronavirus can spread outside of transit and dense urban environments—which are not inherently harmful.

[Reply]
Page 2337 of 3903
« First < 1337183722372287232723332334233523362337 233823392340234123472387243728373337 > Last »
Up