ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Hundreds of campers in Georgia contract COVID-19, CDC report finds
NJChiefsFan27 07:11 PM 07-31-2020
As many suspected and feared, children can and do drive transmission of Covid-19.

Originally Posted by :
Some 260 cases of the coronavirus have been tied to attendees and staff at a North Georgia YMCA children’s camp in June, according to a report released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one of the largest known superspreading events in the state.

The report details how COVID-19 spread rapidly among children and teens within the camp and raises questions about the effectiveness of safety protocols as school districts and colleges contemplate reopening for in-person instruction this fall.

YMCA Camp High Harbour, identified in the report as Camp A, suffered an outbreak at its Lake Burton location in late June. As of July 10, about 85 cases of the virus had been linked to the camp, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution previously reported, a figure that has since tripled.

The CDC study of 597 campers and staff from Georgia found the camp did not follow its guidance to require campers wear masks, though staff did.

Three-quarters of the 344 attendees and staff for whom the CDC was able to obtain test results tested positive for the virus.

The CDC said the overall attack rate of the virus was 44%, though the agency acknowledged that’s an undercount because it includes more than 250 for whom they had no results.

“This investigation adds to the body of evidence demonstrating that children of all ages are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection and, contrary to early reports might play an important role in transmission,” the report said.

Brian Castrucci, CEO of the de Beaumont Foundation, a Maryland nonprofit that assists public health agencies and a former epidemiologist in Georgia, said the report is a warning for local school districts and others about the potential for spread in congregant settings.

“This should show you how actively kids can transmit it,” he said. “If you have a low prevalence in your community, you can start to do things. If you have rampant and rapid community spread, then there is no opening school, there is no opening colleges. It is not going to work.”

Gov. Brian Kemp initially allowed day camps to open for the summer as part of the state’s broader reopening plan. An executive order in May later allowed overnight camps to operate, but outlined health and hygiene guidelines, including temperature checks and a requirement for campers and staff to have a negative COVID-19 test within 12 days of the start of camp.

Though many camps opted not to open, some, including High Harbour, did.

Spokespeople for Kemp did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Dr. Harry J. Heiman, clinical associate professor at the Georgia State University School of Public Health, said spread of the virus was growing in June, presenting a high likelihood the virus would spread in a camp setting.

“We know that congregate settings, particularly indoor congregant settings, are among the highest risks,” he said.

High Harbour followed the governor’s executive order, the federal report said, but the camp did not follow CDC recommendations for universal masking of campers or for increased ventilation in buildings. Staff were required to wear masks, the report said.

“Relatively large cohorts sleeping in the same cabin and engaging in regular singing and cheering likely contributed to transmission,” the CDC said. “Use of cloth masks, which has been shown to reduce the risk for infection, was not universal.”

The CDC said its investigation is ongoing and will attempt to identify specific sources of exposure, the course of the illness and “any secondary transmission to household members.”

“Physical distancing and consistent and correct use of cloth masks should be emphasized as important strategies for mitigating transmission in congregate settings,” the report said.

The YMCA did not make anyone available for an interview. In a written statement, Parrish Underwood, chief advancement officer for the YMCA of Metro Atlanta, said the organization now regretted holding the camp.

“We made every effort to adhere to best practices outlined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the American Camp Association,” and the governor, Underwood said.

“Attending Camp High Harbour is a tradition numerous generations of Y families look forward to every summer,” Underwood’s statement said. “Many of these individuals reached out to our staff to express their desire for us to open our residential camps in an effort to create normalcy in their children’s lives due to the detrimental impact of COVID-19. This weighed heavily in our decision to open, a decision in retrospect we regret.”
Full article here
[Reply]
Al Czervik 09:29 PM 07-31-2020
Oh My God....NOOOOOOO

via GIPHY

OAKTARD was SOOOOOO Right.....

There must of been multiple fatalities......Right?
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:02 PM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Milk, butter, and a tablespoon of sugar. Never salt though as it makes the corn tough.

6 ears of corn
1 cup milk
1 stick butter

Put corn in enough water for the job. Bring water to a boil. Add milk and butter. Cook 8 minutes, or to preferred doneness.

I've never added the sugar. I might try that in the future, though, as it seems to be something a lot of people like. I'm also thinking about trying a version with honey and red pepper flakes

https://www.thekitchn.com/hot-honey-...-corn-22923431

and a version for the instant pot, for when the stove burners are all occupied (I'm not sure about using 2 cups of milk, but hey...)

https://www.sparklestosprinkles.com/...h-milk-butter/
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:07 PM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by Al Czervik:
Oh My God....NOOOOOOO...

There must of been multiple fatalities......Right?

[Reply]
Bowser 09:03 AM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Is it? We're already under the assumption that this is a very low risk group in terms of how the virus impacts them. This report doesn't change that in any way.
So would you be willing to say that it's all assumption or guesswork based off some kids having a sore throat? In Georgia? During allergy season?
[Reply]
SupDock 11:20 AM 08-01-2020
"Gov. Brian Kemp initially allowed day camps to open for the summer as part of the state’s broader reopening plan. An executive order in May later allowed overnight camps to operate, but outlined health and hygiene guidelines, including temperature checks and a requirement for campers and staff to have a negative COVID-19 test within 12 days of the start of camp."

So they all had negative tests within 12 days of the start of the camp
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:21 AM 08-01-2020
So....we are now required to wear masks when in public, yet the cases are SUPPOSEDLY growing exponentially higher each day.

So, simple logic would tell us that if we buy into this BS - masks do NOT work.

I mean, I'm 74 and recovering from cancer (nearly recovered, but white count is still off). Yet even according to the CDC, I'm in the "high risk" category. I go out nearly every day to mow the lawn, go grocery shopping, getting the truck washed, all sorts of shit. I have not been sick once since this BS started. :-)
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:26 AM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
So....we are now required to wear masks when in public, yet the cases are SUPPOSEDLY growing exponentially higher each day.

So, simple logic would tell us that if we buy into this BS - masks do NOT work.

I mean, I'm 74 and recovering from cancer (nearly recovered, but white count is still off). Yet even according to the CDC, I'm in the "high risk" category. I go out nearly every day to mow the lawn, go grocery shopping, getting the truck washed, all sorts of shit. I have not been sick once since this BS started. :-)
You're not fooling me...you died months ago.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:28 AM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
You're not fooling me...you died months ago.

:-)

Shoot, you are right!! I wondered why my feet never touch the ground...I'm a damned ghost!!! :-)
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:44 AM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Hmm, convenient.

Originally Posted by :
Of 344 campers and staff members for whom test results were available, 260 -- or 44% -- tested positive for the virus, according to the CDC.

Sixty-nine percent of the positive tests involved children aged 11 to 17, and 20% were reported in children aged 6 to 10, the agency said.
Originally Posted by :
Its research of the outbreak "found efficient spread of the virus among campers and staff while noting key steps to minimize the risk for [COVID-19] introduction and transmission in camps were not strictly followed."
Originally Posted by :
More than 75% of the confirmed cases had been residing in "large cabins" shared by up to 26 attendees and staff, CDC said.

Among 136 cases with available symptom data, 26% patients reported no symptoms. For the 100 with symptoms, the most common were fever, 65%; headache, 61%, and sore throat, 46%, the agency said.
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...5601596213873/

So, basically, some people caught a cold.
[Reply]
Otter 12:34 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
6 ears of corn
1 cup milk
1 stick butter

Put corn in enough water for the job. Bring water to a boil. Add milk and butter. Cook 8 minutes, or to preferred doneness.

I've never added the sugar. I might try that in the future, though, as it seems to be something a lot of people like. I'm also thinking about trying a version with honey and red pepper flakes

https://www.thekitchn.com/hot-honey-...-corn-22923431

and a version for the instant pot, for when the stove burners are all occupied (I'm not sure about using 2 cups of milk, but hey...)

https://www.sparklestosprinkles.com/...h-milk-butter/
Never tried to get artsy fartsy with corn on the cob. I think I'll give this a try.

Thx :-)
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:37 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
Never tried to get artsy fartsy with corn on the cob. I think I'll give this a try.

Thx :-)

My pleasure! Just be sure you leave enough room in the pot that you don't get a boil over after putting in the milk and butter. I forgot about that the first time, and the cleanup sucked.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 12:43 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
My pleasure! Just be sure you leave enough room in the pot that you don't get a boil over after putting in the milk and butter. I forgot about that the first time, and the cleanup sucked.
Ever make eloté?
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:15 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
Ever make eloté?
I haven't. I've actually never even grilled corn. I've eaten grilled corn when others have done it, but never done it myself.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 01:35 PM 08-01-2020
Most will recover. So what. A 99.9 % survival rate for a "PANDEMIC" that they quarantine healthy people for? Figures don't LIE. LIARS FIGURE! Wear your masks to keep the LIE ALIVE!
[Reply]
seamonster 04:22 PM 08-01-2020
This is GOOD. You want healthy people to get the disease so that the population can build up antibodies to shutdown the spread. And given the fact that 98% of the people have a runny-nose I'd think that this is clearly the way to go vs making every business in America loose its ass.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up