ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 23
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
The Lounge>****Official 2019-2020 NHL Season Thread****
OnTheWarpath15 03:49 PM 09-24-2019
Season begins a week from tomorrow, and the defending champs just traded Joel Edmundson and a prospect for Justin Faulk.

Who's up for back-to-back Cups?


[Reply]
Bearcat 07:21 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Hey, I get to watch (most of) a Blues game tonight! First of the year! Gotta make some Ro-tel dip!
Watched the Yotes for the first time this season on TV last night! :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:32 PM 11-12-2019
I know it's only 17 games, but Makar leads all rookies in points by +6, is second in goals, and will at least be at 1.00 PPG after tonight.

Only a handful of rookies who played more than a few games since the turn of the century that have >=1.00 PPG.... Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, and Barzal. And only a few more that played most of a season are >=0.90.

Pretty impressive start, 1/5th of the way through the season.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 08:50 PM 11-12-2019
Hockey is the weirdest sport.

It's the only sport I know of where every team has one guy who's job is to give himself long term brain damage by bare-hand fighting 4 times a week.

IT's the only game that leaves in rules that put people in danger and then say "Yeah, but if someone DOES hit our start center legally and cleanly we have someone to beat the shit out of him for that."

Imagine if every NFL team had one guy who's job it was to enter the game and beat the shit out of anyone who sacks your QB.

I don't hate hockey or anything, but it's really bizarre when you think about it.

Is the NHL still denying a link between CTE and concussions?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:52 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Hockey is the weirdest sport.

It's the only sport I know of where every team has one guy who's job is to give himself long term brain damage by fighting 4 times a week.

IT's the only game that leaves in rules that put people in danger and then say "Yeah, but if someone DOES hit our start center legally and cleanly we have someone to beat the shit out of him for that."

Imagine if every NFL team had one guy who's job it was to enter the game and beat the shit out of anyone who sacks your QB.

I don't hate hockey or anything, but it's really bizarre when you think about it.
Someone hasn't actually paid attention to hockey recently.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 08:57 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Someone hasn't actually paid attention to hockey recently.
Absolutely true. Last time I paid attention the NHL was still endangering players and refusing to acknowledge a link between CTE and concussions.

If they've taken measures to protect their players over the past few years, good for them.

Regardless, it's STILL a unique aspect to this sport in the meta context.

Don't be so defensive.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:18 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Hockey is the weirdest sport.

It's the only sport I know of where every team has one guy who's job is to give himself long term brain damage by bare-hand fighting 4 times a week.

IT's the only game that leaves in rules that put people in danger and then say "Yeah, but if someone DOES hit our start center legally and cleanly we have someone to beat the shit out of him for that."

Imagine if every NFL team had one guy who's job it was to enter the game and beat the shit out of anyone who sacks your QB.

I don't hate hockey or anything, but it's really bizarre when you think about it.

Is the NHL still denying a link between CTE and concussions?
It wasn't only to fight, but teams definitely had goons who were there to be overly physical.... the difference being there's no place to hide in hockey.

A safety destroys a receiver, then....? Maybe that safety gets cheap-shotted later if someone goes out of their way to do it?

In hockey, you could get destroyed the very next shift, or as you said, have to answer with a fight.

Who knows how much of a deterrent it really was (and fighting isn't even allowed in college, the Canadian leagues, international play), but most of the goons are out of the league as the game has shifted to be faster and more skilled after rule changes years ago... and they've had review committees in place for a while that will get players suspended for targeted/dangerous hits.

There are still a few players around who just don't get it.... the NHL definitely isn't aggressive with their suspensions by any means, but they actually produce videos of what they saw and the reasoning behind each suspension, including the player's history and comparisons with other suspensions, which is of course incredibly transparent and forward thinking.

IMO, they could do more to get rid of those players who don't get it, and impose lengthier suspensions in many cases.... but, overall, the goons are gone and fighting is way, way down.
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 09:21 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
It wasn't only to fight, but teams definitely had goons who were there to be overly physical.... the difference being there's no place to hide in hockey.

A safety destroys a receiver, then....? Maybe that safety gets cheap-shotted later if someone goes out of their way to do it?

In hockey, you could get destroyed the very next shift, or as you said, have to answer with a fight.

Who knows how much of a deterrent it really was (and fighting isn't even allowed in college, the Canadian leagues, international play), but most of the goons are out of the league as the game has shifted to be faster and more skilled after rule changes years ago... and they've had review committees in place for a while that will get players suspended for targeted/dangerous hits.

There are still a few players around who just don't get it.... the NHL definitely isn't aggressive with their suspensions by any means, but they actually produce videos of what they saw and the reasoning behind each suspension, including the player's history and comparisons with other suspensions, which is of course incredibly transparent and forward thinking.

IMO, they could do more to get rid of those players who don't get it, and impose lengthier suspensions in many cases.... but, overall, the goons are gone and fighting is way, way down.
Yeah goons are pretty much non existent in today's game...
[Reply]
DaFace 09:27 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Absolutely true. Last time I paid attention the NHL was still endangering players and refusing to acknowledge a link between CTE and concussions.

If they've taken measures to protect their players over the past few years, good for them.

Regardless, it's STILL a unique aspect to this sport in the meta context.

Don't be so defensive.
It's not defensive to point out that you're spewing bullshit that doesn't really even apply to today's game. It's the equivalent of showing up on an NFL forum and ranting about how the NFL needs to protect QBs more. Sure, that might have been the case at one point, but it's a very outdated take.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:31 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I know it's only 17 games, but Makar leads all rookies in points by +6, is second in goals, and will at least be at 1.00 PPG after tonight.

Only a handful of rookies who played more than a few games since the turn of the century that have >=1.00 PPG.... Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, and Barzal. And only a few more that played most of a season are >=0.90.

Pretty impressive start, 1/5th of the way through the season.
I feel weird about the idea of wearing a 21-year-old's name on my back, but I'm seriously considering a Makar jersey...

Also, what a night for Adam Werner. Not very often you see an AHL goalie performing as well as he has tonight.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 09:46 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Hockey is the weirdest sport.

It's the only sport I know of where every team has one guy who's job is to give himself long term brain damage by bare-hand fighting 4 times a week.

IT's the only game that leaves in rules that put people in danger and then say "Yeah, but if someone DOES hit our start center legally and cleanly we have someone to beat the shit out of him for that."

Imagine if every NFL team had one guy who's job it was to enter the game and beat the shit out of anyone who sacks your QB.

I don't hate hockey or anything, but it's really bizarre when you think about it.

Is the NHL still denying a link between CTE and concussions?
Designated enforcers have mostly been phased out and replaced by guys who are tougher than most but can actually play. Staged fights are few and far inbetween nowadays. If thereís a fight, itís usually just two players who have had enough of each other.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:50 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I feel weird about the idea of wearing a 21-year-old's name on my back, but I'm seriously considering a Makar jersey...

Also, what a night for Adam Werner. Not very often you see an AHL goalie performing as well as he has tonight.
Heh... I haven't bought a jersey in years, partly because I like the idea of only buying them for HoF or retired players, since they can't ever be traded.

But, MacKinnon and Makar definitely make it difficult not to update my collection of Sakic, Roy, and Rob Blake.


And yeah... 40 saves. :-)
[Reply]
wasi 10:00 PM 11-12-2019
Go Flyers. 4th in the East!
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:02 PM 11-12-2019
Been waiting a few years for competitive hockey to reappear in the desert! Can’t get fully sucked in until February but Coyotes definitely have me semi-sucked.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:56 PM 11-14-2019
McDavid in the slot.

McDavid somehow finding the far post.


Welcome to the NHL, kid.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:58 PM 11-14-2019
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
McDavid in the slot.



McDavid somehow finding the far post.





Welcome to the NHL, kid.
Yup. Didn't figure we had much of a chance in this one. Seems I was right.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 23
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up