ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 34
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
The Lounge>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:09 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
What's that made out of? Is that the color because I really like it!
Looks like painted concrete. Bing-Image "painted concrete", it's amazing!
[Reply]
lewdog 08:10 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Looks like painted concrete. Bing-Image "painted concrete", it's amazing!
Figured it probably was. And yes, that stuff can look absolutely beautiful.
[Reply]
cabletech94 08:34 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Got a patio installed last week. Going to go the green thumb route instead of sod. spent $200+ over the last couple of days getting dirt and seed and such. Hopefully all will be well in 3 weeks.
that's great!
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 07:44 AM 03-26-2017
Feb 19 I planted spuds. Pretty deep because I was afraid of more frosts. Yesterday they started to come up. Crazy spring
[Reply]
Buzz 04:17 PM 03-26-2017
I put down pre emergent yesterday. Feldman's had it on sale, 18 lb bag of Hummert's DYNA GREEN for $12.99, bought 3 bags, each bag treats 5,400 sq ft. I guess this stuff is recommended by Toby Tobin, 15-0-5, never heard of it.
[Reply]
Buzz 07:02 PM 03-26-2017
So Dayz what brand do you go with? I may have been a few days late but apparently this stuff is pretty forgiving.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:52 PM 03-26-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
So Dayz what brand do you go with? I may have been a few days late but apparently this stuff is pretty forgiving.
Scotts. So far so good.. I have some dandelions to deal with in the flower beds, but they'll be toast soon enough...
[Reply]
Buzz 08:09 PM 03-26-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Scotts. So far so good.. I have some dandelions to deal with in the flower beds, but they'll be toast soon enough...


Got a few of those myself, and that purple flower crap, and some clover. I have gone with weed and feed after pre emergent but with all that fertilzer, I don't want to mow twice a week. Going to spot spray for another month or so, then hit it with weed and feed.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:20 PM 03-26-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
Got a few of those myself, and that purple flower crap, and some clover. I have gone with weed and feed after pre emergent but with all that fertilzer, I don't want to mow twice a week. Going to spot spray for another month or so, then hit it with weed and feed.
My plan too.. The fight for a beautiful lawn never ends. And not having a sprinkler system is a regret I've had for a long time..
[Reply]
wutamess 08:08 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
What's that made out of? Is that the color because I really like it!
Acid stained concrete. Going to talk to the installers to see if we can get it darker. I'm satisfied with the look now but the Mrs. always has something else in mind.
[Reply]
wutamess 08:14 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
My plan too.. The fight for a beautiful lawn never ends. And not having a sprinkler system is a regret I've had for a long time..
I went the cheap route a couple of years ago and have pretty good results. Water timer and adjustable contouring sprinkler. Over time the sprinkler hose will get buried by the grass so all you see is the sprinkler which isn't THAT noticeable. I've had pretty satisfying results.

Just invested in 2 water timers with 2 outlets so until I get that in ground system, this will have to work. Will post pics of yard later.
[Reply]
wutamess 08:17 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Well shit, I just aerated (pitting 3-inch holes into the root system), then "prevented"!

I might end up saying that the "prevent defense" never works!

See, NFL is life!!!!!
Aeration is almost a waste. Next time use what you can rent at Home Depot called a overseeder spreader. It basically power rakes your yard, de-thatches it and spreads seed all at the same time. Had amazing results with it a couple of years ago.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:10 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by wutamess:
I went the cheap route a couple of years ago and have pretty good results. Water timer and adjustable contouring sprinkler. Over time the sprinkler hose will get buried by the grass so all you see is the sprinkler which isn't THAT noticeable. I've had pretty satisfying results.

Just invested in 2 water timers with 2 outlets so until I get that in ground system, this will have to work. Will post pics of yard later.
Interesting....
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:16 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Aeration is almost a waste. Next time use what you can rent at Home Depot called a overseeder spreader. It basically power rakes your yard, de-thatches it and spreads seed all at the same time. Had amazing results with it a couple of years ago.
This dude?



Using a Honda mower (two blades) and I bag most of the year, so thatch isn't a problem. And I seen those deals, not far off of the aerators in form factor really. And, since I don't have a riding mower, what's pictured won't work very well.
[Reply]
wutamess 09:19 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
This dude?



Using a Honda mower (two blades) and I bag most of the year, so thatch isn't a problem. And I seen those deals, not far off of the aerators in form factor really. And, since I don't have a riding mower, what's pictured won't work very well.

[Reply]
Page 6 of 34
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up