ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 34
< 1234 567814 > Last »
The Lounge>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
lewdog 11:20 AM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Last year I just bought three different kinds of cherry tomatoes, two had an egg shape and one of them was round like yours. I want to find those round ones again this year, they were by far the best. I am not sure what you mean by the golden variety?

The six plants I put in are beef steak seeds . All of the seeds I planted came up, so I gave some to others. I don't want to make the same mistake I made the last few years of planting too many.
The super sweet cherry 100 tomatoes are the best. Look for those. Plus they produce tons from one plant.

https://bonnieplants.com/product/sup...et-100-tomato/

Golden variety are just that, yellow cherry tomatoes. Same size and shape, but slightly different taste.




If I had as much room as you I'd do a golden cherry plant and a super sweet cherry tomato plant.

Beefsteak tomatoes are great too! With that many plants you're gonna have pounds of tomatoes!
[Reply]
KS Smitty 03:03 PM 03-19-2017
Sun Sugar is the best variety of yellow cherry tomatoes. There's also a yellow pear tomato that's a mini tomato also has really good flavor. I agree with lewdog super sweet 100's are the best cherry tomato, not sweet millions, sweet 100's. I haven't found a grape shaped tomato that I like as well as cherry shaped ones.
[Reply]
DMAC 04:36 PM 03-19-2017
Has anyone addressed moles? Are there any tried and true methods to extinction?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:45 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by DMAC:
Has anyone addressed moles? Are there any tried and true methods to extinction?
After many tries, I found this thing, and it worked perfectly for me...

https://www.amazon.com/Manning-Produ.../dp/B0000BYDPE
[Reply]
KS Smitty 08:14 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
After many tries, I found this thing, and it worked perfectly for me...

https://www.amazon.com/Manning-Produ.../dp/B0000BYDPE

That is absolutely brilliant.
[Reply]
Buzz 08:27 PM 03-19-2017
When are you guy's in KC putting down pre emergent? I was early last year and don't want to jump the gun again.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:32 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
When are you guy's in KC putting down pre emergent? I was early last year and don't want to jump the gun again.
What are you after?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:34 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
When are you guy's in KC putting down pre emergent? I was early last year and don't want to jump the gun again.
Last week.. The hardest part was waiting for a "day after rain" and/or "morning with dew" so the prevent sticks.

Honestly, I don't get it, none of the weeds are up, so I'm not sure what they thing the granuals are going to stick to, but I waited patiently.

THAT being said, like I've told every man I know, when you buy a house you only agree to having a kitchen and/or mud room AFTER she agrees to a sprinkler system! If I wasn't in the market for a new AC unit (talk about a dry anal raping!!!), this was the year where some people were going to trench the lawn and casa-de-Glory whould sport a six zone sprinkler system. It will happen next year,,,,,,, or I move! Damn hoses, damn hoses to hell!!!!!!!!!!! They're a waste of money, water, and my fucking time!
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:39 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Last week.. The hardest part was waiting for a "day after rain" and/or "morning with dew" so the prevent sticks.

Honestly, I don't get it, none of the weeds are up, so I'm not sure what they thing the granuals are going to stick to, but I waited patiently.

THAT being said, like I've told every man I know, when you buy a house you only agree to having a kitchen and/or mud room AFTER she agrees to a sprinkler system! If I wasn't in the market for a new AC unit (talk about a dry anal raping!!!), this was the year where some people were going to trench the lawn and casa-de-Glory whould sport a six zone sprinkler system. It will happen next year,,,,,,, or I move! Damn hoses, damn hoses to hell!!!!!!!!!!! They're a waste of money, water, and my fucking time!
If there is nothing up and all you are after is residual, roll, then water.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:48 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
If there is nothing up and all you are after is residual, roll, then water.
That's what I did, kinda... I waited for a morning with a little dew, did the deed, waited a day, then dragged the sprinklers around (like a bitch) that next day.

I had aerated a few days before, so it was iffy. I know, I know, I shoulda aerated last fall. I fucked up!

It'll be fine, I'll wear the Guido hat for one more year..
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 08:59 PM 03-19-2017
I've been toying with not using the crabgrass control. I'm not sure my lawn needs it and I've read more and more research about fertilizing early being bad for the root system. The pre-emergent sacrifices root growth for the protection. Since my lawn and the other 2 lawns I take care of in my spare time have pretty solid turf thickness, I'm really considering letting go of that step.

Anybody else thought about this?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:08 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
I've been toying with not using the crabgrass control. I'm not sure my lawn needs it and I've read more and more research about fertilizing early being bad for the root system. The pre-emergent sacrifices root growth for the protection. Since my lawn and the other 2 lawns I take care of in my spare time have pretty solid turf thickness, I'm really considering letting go of that step.

Anybody else thought about this?
Well shit, I just aerated (pitting 3-inch holes into the root system), then "prevented"!

I might end up saying that the "prevent defense" never works!

See, NFL is life!!!!!
[Reply]
Buzz 09:19 PM 03-19-2017
It's my understanding the pre emergent doesn't need to stick to the leaf, that's weed killer. Pre emergent should soak into the soil at a certain soil temperature range like 58 consistent degree?
[Reply]
Buzz 09:21 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
What are you after?

Crab grass and anything else.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:26 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
It's my understanding the pre emergent doesn't need to stick to the leaf, that's weed killer. Pre emergent should soak into the soil at a certain soil temperature range like 58 consistent degree?
Let's hope you're right and the instructions were wrong.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 34
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up