ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Microsoft Surface
Buehler445 05:44 PM 01-06-2016
Does anyone have one? I'm considering one for field work and thought I would get some feedback from the Planet gurus.

What does everyone think?
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:26 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Do you find yourself using the pen/stylus much? I've never used one before and unsure what I would actually need it for.
No. Not really. I'm on the go all the time and it usually doesn't make the trip. It works well and I think if you'd make a concerted effort to see what it will do it is probably a good thing. But I'm just not going to keep track of it. I bought a little sleeve for the surface so when someone invariably calls me because they can't find shot or have to have something RIGHT NOW I can hotspot my phone and have laptop functionality in the tractor. But yeah if I were on a floor or something I'd be all over that and leave the keyboard on the desk.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:27 PM 12-02-2016
I love my surface. I've had an ipad and a Surface Pro and there is no comparison. Only annoying thing about the Surface is you have to use Microsoft store for apps. If you could use Google Play it would be better because there isn't as many Microsoft apps.
[Reply]
notorious 12:28 PM 12-02-2016

[Reply]
Buehler445 12:33 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I love my surface. I've had an ipad and a Surface Pro and there is no comparison. Only annoying thing about the Surface is you have to use Microsoft store for apps. If you could use Google Play it would be better because there isn't as many Microsoft apps.
What are you needing that they don't have?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 12:09 PM 07-08-2019
Any recent thoughts on the surface pros? Any real difference between the 5 and 6?
[Reply]
notorious 06:00 PM 07-08-2019
:-)

That gif....you can see the moment the Surface crashes by the look on Bill’s face.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 06:08 PM 07-08-2019
Got a Pro6 and haven't had many complaints so far that were intrinsic to the device itself.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:18 PM 07-28-2020
i'll be looking for a product that I can take to "the lake" for teaching scuba modules and while most instructors use iPads, I'm wondering if anybody has any information about how the iPad, Surface, and other Samsung tablet products really differ?
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:16 PM 07-28-2020
Depends on what you want. If you’re more comfortable on a windows platform (me) surface is a good option. All the functionality of PC on a tablet.

Depending on your needs Apple is probably the better true tablet, but you have to stretch it pretty good to bring laptop functionality in, but it’s doable.

I’m not up on Samsung’s current offerings but I tried a note and it straight will not do a lot of PC functions, but that was several years ago.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:17 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Depends on what you want. If youíre more comfortable on a windows platform (me) surface is a good option. All the functionality of PC on a tablet.

Depending on your needs Apple is probably the better true tablet, but you have to stretch it pretty good to bring laptop functionality in, but itís doable.

Iím not up on Samsungís current offerings but I tried a note and it straight will not do a lot of PC functions, but that was several years ago.
Yeah, I have a Note, and that's what I thought might work, and it simply won't. Sad, but I'm not sure it's not just that it's more than five years old and what I need for SCUBA students needs some horsepower.

On the other hand, while work had me in an iPhone and I owned my own iPhone when they were on the iPhone-3 versions, Apple sort of turned me off with their business model and having so many things locked down. That being said, Microsoft/Windows is hard to carry the banner for given some of their issues.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for a "deal that I couldn't pass up" lead me to the right platform for me.

LOL, anybody got a Surface or iPad they're looking to get rid of? :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:42 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Yeah, I have a Note, and that's what I thought might work, and it simply won't. Sad, but I'm not sure it's not just that it's more than five years old and what I need for SCUBA students needs some horsepower.

On the other hand, while work had me in an iPhone and I owned my own iPhone when they were on the iPhone-3 versions, Apple sort of turned me off with their business model and having so many things locked down. That being said, Microsoft/Windows is hard to carry the banner for given some of their issues.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for a "deal that I couldn't pass up" lead me to the right platform for me.

LOL, anybody got a Surface or iPad they're looking to get rid of? :-)
What programs are you using for SCUBA? Is it videos or what?
[Reply]
CoMoChief 08:22 AM 07-29-2020
The high end ones are great. Like some have said...all functions of a PC on the tablet.

Only downside is the cost. They're pretty expensive, look to pay close to $1500 for one.

But, if you're looking for a "mobile PC", a normal desktop higher end PC will cost you about that much anyways, so you're paying for the mobility.

If $1500 isn't too much, I'd def get one if I were you.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:39 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
What programs are you using for SCUBA? Is it videos or what?
It's PADI's Training material, and yes, it's very heavy on video, PPT and PowerPoint (with embedded videos). I can get it to work on my Samsung S9+ (not really the latest, but it works), but if I'm trying to teach students 1-on-1 it really needs to be on something like a 12" screen. And a lot of times we're doing their knowledge reviews while at the dive site, so it's best for me to have all these modules downloaded to the device in case I can't get to the Internet with a reliable connection.

That's what have me thinking Surface..
[Reply]
candyman 02:48 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
The high end ones are great. Like some have said...all functions of a PC on the tablet.

Only downside is the cost. They're pretty expensive, look to pay close to $1500 for one.

But, if you're looking for a "mobile PC", a normal desktop higher end PC will cost you about that much anyways, so you're paying for the mobility.

If $1500 isn't too much, I'd def get one if I were you.
I got my SP7 on sale with the type cover for $800. Core i5, 8gb ram/128gb ssd. Does everything I need it to, I can even game on it a bit.

Just checked, it's on sale again.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:28 PM 07-29-2020
Any thoughts on the "X" model? Other than not having a headphone jack (dumb), the only thing I read was that there are Apps that won't run. One was Dropbox, which I don't use, but that seems like a bit of a red flag. What would the Dropbox App require that any device wouldn't have? And you own it before you find out what other Apps it might not run. Ouch!

Edit: https://mspoweruser.com/apps-that-wi...surface-pro-x/
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up