ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Microsoft Surface
Buehler445 05:44 PM 01-06-2016
Does anyone have one? I'm considering one for field work and thought I would get some feedback from the Planet gurus.

What does everyone think?
[Reply]
penguinz 07:44 AM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Does anyone have one? I'm considering one for field work and thought I would get some feedback from the Planet gurus.

What does everyone think?
One of the guys I work with has one and loves it.

If you are a straight windows person and need portability then go for it.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:09 AM 01-07-2016
I know a few folks who have them and love them.

One of them is a pretty knowledgeable tech guy, and he really loves his and sings its praises.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 08:11 AM 01-07-2016
The original Surface RT was garbage. Like many Microsoft products, version 1.0 sucks, but the product improves with every release. I have a Surface Pro 3, and it's a great machine.
[Reply]
Vegas_Dave 08:46 AM 01-07-2016
The biggest weakness is the lack of keyboard software options. If you intend to use it in tablet mode, you do not have any "Swype" style keyboard options... There are a few that work in some scenarios, but they don't work in every app/program. So instead you are relegated to hunt and peck style on screen typing.

Also, the Edge browser isn't great for tablet style use either. It still doesn't operate smoothly for many sites drop down menus. Granted, you can just install Chrome to solve that.

If neither of those are issues to you, then they are a VERY solid device, assuming you are doing at least the Surface 3 model.

Make sure you get at least 64Gb storage (not sure if they come with less). I have a Dell Windows tablet with only 32Gb, and even with it stripped completely down to just the base OS & backup/recovery partition, there is not enough space to install any major Windows upgrade. Even the recent Windows 10 update (version 1511) could not update from basic Windows 10 on it. I had to add an SD card in order to give it enough space to perform the upgrade.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:03 AM 01-07-2016
Great advice. Thanks guys.
[Reply]
blake5676 09:43 AM 12-02-2016
For anyone who has a Surface, is the attachable keyboard on the Surface Pro easy to get used to or a big adjustment when coming from a laptop?

I'm trying to decide between a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Book. Have held both in my hands at the store, but the flimsy keyboard on the 4 seems like it might be a nuisance and not easy to use. Thanks for any input!
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 09:45 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by blake5676:
For anyone who has a Surface, is the attachable keyboard on the Surface Pro easy to get used to or a big adjustment when coming from a laptop?

I'm trying to decide between a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Book. Have held both in my hands at the store, but the flimsy keyboard on the 4 seems like it might be a nuisance and not easy to use. Thanks for any input!
Run. Right now. Real fast. Get an iPad .
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:54 AM 12-02-2016
I have the Surface Pro 4. I've used the keyboard pretty much exclusively and it is fine.

It has to be sitting on something because it moves, but you're probably not going to be using a Surface book without something to put it on either.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:02 AM 12-02-2016
BTW, I really like mine.

Hell of a piece of machinery. I don't know how the hell I got along without it.

It should be noted that in my business I use exclusively Microsoft Products. It made the transition far easier.

EDIT: I did buy a docking station that was garbage. I'm going to try another one to see if it was the docking station or the machine. I think it was the docking station.
[Reply]
blake5676 11:53 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop:
Run. Right now. Real fast. Get an iPad .
Why do you say this? Just curious.

I have an Ipad that I never use. Not really a tablet guy. Love my laptop but looking for something more easily portable to carry around my office and when traveling.
[Reply]
blake5676 11:55 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
BTW, I really like mine.

Hell of a piece of machinery. I don't know how the hell I got along without it.

It should be noted that in my business I use exclusively Microsoft Products. It made the transition far easier.

EDIT: I did buy a docking station that was garbage. I'm going to try another one to see if it was the docking station or the machine. I think it was the docking station.
Do you find yourself using the pen/stylus much? I've never used one before and unsure what I would actually need it for.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 11:58 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Why do you say this? Just curious.

I have an Ipad that I never use. Not really a tablet guy. Love my laptop but looking for something more easily portable to carry around my office and when traveling.
No viruses. User friendly. Intuitive. You may not like Apple because of the way they do business, but don't let it stop you from getting the best.
[Reply]
blake5676 12:13 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop:
No viruses. User friendly. Intuitive. You may not like Apple because of the way they do business, but don't let it stop you from getting the best.
Yeah, I get all that. My wife loves my Ipad...in fact she's the only one who uses it. I just need a physical keyboard. And not an iphone guy either so the Apple love isn't something strong with me.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:16 PM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Yeah, I get all that. My wife loves my Ipad...in fact she's the only one who uses it. I just need a physical keyboard. And not an iphone guy either so the Apple love isn't something strong with me.
Good luck in your search.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up