ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 161
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
The Lounge>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:32 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I am guessing the ad I see for brisket sold in a bag for $2.99/lb is not the quality you are looking for?
I typically get mine for 2.50 a pound, but sometimes I'm just fucking lazy and don't want to do all the trimming.
[Reply]
jspchief 08:39 PM 06-14-2016
2.96/lb for whole brisket is pretty typical around here. Problem I have is fitting them in my smoker
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:56 AM 06-15-2016
Yeah thats not a bad price for the bag. It should smoke up nicely.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:51 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
That's a butcher pack? Pretty much what you'd buy anywhere. And that price matches what I saw when I was in Missouri over Christmas.
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I typically get mine for 2.50 a pound, but sometimes I'm just fucking lazy and don't want to do all the trimming.
Originally Posted by jspchief:
2.96/lb for whole brisket is pretty typical around here. Problem I have is fitting them in my smoker
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yeah thats not a bad price for the bag. It should smoke up nicely.
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:55 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?


$6 is cheap for me, but I'm in Alabama. Beef down here is expensive.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:32 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?
Not a thing wrong with those
[Reply]
jspchief 08:41 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?
They arent trimmed, it's the point and flat. A lot of people only consider the flat the "good" part. But for smoking, they're fine. I suggest watching a video on how to slice brisket, separate the point from the flat, etc.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:54 AM 06-26-2016
Here and there I will get a trimmed one if I am just feeling lazy as hell and I want a quick smoked brisket. That's hardly a thing for me though.

Trimmed is much higher per pound, but you're also not paying X dollars for pounds of fat. If you like real lean meat, than that's a bit of a bonus. Learn how to trim your own meat though, and save some money.

I'm more partial to the packer brisket as the cap is lovely for doing BBQ (burnt ends).
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:04 AM 06-26-2016
Has anyone ever both smoked and sous vide a brisket? I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours then throwing into sous vide for a day or two. Maybe at 140 degrees. I don't know what the best process is.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:09 AM 06-26-2016
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Has anyone ever both smoked and sous vide a brisket? I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours then throwing into sous vide for a day or two. Maybe at 140 degrees. I don't know what the best process is.


That's the way to do it, IYAM. Smoke to 140 to maximize time in the smoke, pull it from the smoker, cool it, bag it, sous vide it.

Never done it myself.

And now that I think about it, maybe you sous vide it first, then cool it, then smoke it up to serving temp...

Hmmmm.... I think you need to test it both ways and report back. Either way, I think you need to cool it between cooking methods.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:41 AM 06-26-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
That's the way to do it, IYAM. Smoke to 140 to maximize time in the smoke, pull it from the smoker, cool it, bag it, sous vide it.

Never done it myself.

And now that I think about it, maybe you sous vide it first, then cool it, then smoke it up to serving temp...

Hmmmm.... I think you need to test it both ways and report back. Either way, I think you need to cool it between cooking methods.
That is interesting. I saw a modernist cuisine article that suggested 7 hours at 149 in the smoke, then 140 degrees in the sous vide for 72 hours. I don't worry about low and slow for thinner cuts but don't know if I should be worried for thicker cuts for brisket. Bringing the brisket up to temperature in the smoke feels safer to me. Then how long should I toss into the sous vide? I'm guessing maintain at the 140 degrees.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:53 AM 06-26-2016
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
That is interesting. I saw a modernist cuisine article that suggested 7 hours at 149 in the smoke, then 140 degrees in the sous vide for 72 hours. I don't worry about low and slow for thinner cuts but don't know if I should be worried for thicker cuts for brisket. Bringing the brisket up to temperature in the smoke feels safer to me. Then how long should I toss into the sous vide? I'm guessing maintain at the 140 degrees.


Actually for safety, I think you'd want to sous vide second. The long cook time at 140 would pasteurize the meat within a couple hours. I'd just worried about washing out the smoke flavor.

Totally worth testing though, IMO.

If brisket weren't $6+/pound here, I'd try that myself.
[Reply]
In58men 03:44 PM 07-09-2016
About to slap these baby backs on my WSM.




[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:57 PM 07-09-2016
Nice, you need to buy a real grill though
[Reply]
In58men 03:57 PM 07-09-2016
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Nice, you need to buy a real grill though
This is a smoker.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 161
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Up