ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
tatorhog 02:46 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
I didn't think I would ever be able to sleep with something strapped to my face. I really struggled with masks, too. They frequently leaked and blew air into my eyes. I would sleep for a couple of hours and pull the mask off during the night.

I finally found a mask that worked for me (a nasal pillow) and it makes a huge difference. Plus, the wife is happier because I don't snore when I keep it on. So my main advice is to keep trying masks 'til you get one that works for you instead of just assuming that you can't sleep with a mask on.

Also, if you settle on a nasal pillow (you have to be able to sleep with your mouth closed or they don't work), use some lanolin cream (sold as nipple cream in the baby aisle) on your nostrils to make a better seal and keep them from getting raw. I've also started using a little vasoline because the air blowing out of the mask was reflecting off my pillow back into my face and was making my lips chapped.
When you were cycling through the different CPAP options, did the provider have a try it then buy it option? or did you/insurance get billed throughout the selection process?
[Reply]
O.city 02:47 PM 02-24-2020
Before you go to a CPAP, try to find a legitimate sleep dentist. A lot of times it can be helped with different types of "nightguards" that are a lot easier to wear.
[Reply]
tatorhog 02:47 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Isn't all sleep apnea is about is sleeping on your back and having a double chin?
for the common dumbass, this is true
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:48 PM 02-24-2020
Isn't all sleep apnea is about is sleeping on your back and having a double chin?
Not totally. That can be the issue, but real sleep apnea is where your brain stops telling your respiratory system to keep breathing in a deep sleep. So you stop breathing and eventually your body goes, hey man, I'm not getting oxygen! You then wake up enough out of deep rem to start breathing again, but then you've interrupted your rem sleep. You may wake up gasping and realize or you may not. Lack of sleep, lack of oxygen, all takes a toll on your body. Heart rate, etc.
[Reply]
Frosty 02:48 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
When you were cycling through the different CPAP options, did the provider have a try it then buy it option? or did you/insurance get billed throughout the selection process?
I think the first time I changed, it was a freebie. After that I had to wait 6 months to get a different mask for the insurance to pay for it.
[Reply]
tatorhog 02:49 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Before you go to a CPAP, try to find a legitimate sleep dentist. A lot of times it can be helped with different types of "nightguards" that are a lot easier to wear.
I kind of wondered about this. Hadn't considered the dentist route though. I may give him a call and see if he has some input. Now that you say that, I do think he has a focus on that, actually.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:52 PM 02-24-2020
During your testing they will give you options and you can test them. May take a few nights.
[Reply]
Monticore 02:52 PM 02-24-2020
all body habitus can be affected.

Monti
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 03:07 PM 02-24-2020
I will second the nasal pillow recommendation.

I tried a nose/mouth mask the first month and struggled staying asleep due to leaks etc.. I've been using a nasal pillow type mask for over 3 years. It is such a vast improvement. You still wake a bit when you move around, but barely.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:09 PM 02-24-2020
From what I remember-my Oxygen level was down to 92%-or less- when I stopped breathing.

I started with the nasal pillow-then slept with my mouth open. Switched to a full mask. Never had an issue after that.

My Cpap
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthc...e-10-cpap.html

Insurance pays for much of it. Always a deductible. I am on a loaner-my first one had the motor making bad noises. Have not heard about replacement yet. It was only 2.5 years old. And have to check to see if insurance pays for repairs.

The three days without it was terrible.

The alternative is worse.
[Reply]
O.city 03:10 PM 02-24-2020
I kind of wondered about this. Hadn't considered the dentist route though. I may give him a call and see if he has some input. Now that you say that, I do think he has a focus on that, actually.
Changing jaw position can open airway and help a lot. Check it out, can't hurt.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:17 PM 02-24-2020
I have SA and a CPAP. I thought I’d never be able to sleep with a mask because I’m a side sleeper, but it’s amazing. Within a week you feel better and start to be sharper. Like others have said, finding the right mask is key as it keeps the pressure constant and after the first night or 2, you won’t even feel uncomfortable putting it on to go to sleep.

All I can say is weigh your options on which machine to buy and talk to the doctor about outright buying the machine instead of making payments. Huge difference if you can just fork out a few hundred bucks.
[Reply]
Frosty 03:18 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
You still wake a bit when you move around, but barely.
I can only sleep on my side so wake up every time I switch sides because I have to deal with hose management. :-) Not a big deal as I usually go right back to sleep but still a bit of a pain.
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:19 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Changing jaw position can open airway and help a lot. Check it out, can't hurt.
I had tried different pillows, etc. very minimal differences, but the jaw makes sense. I'm definitely going to call my toof doc to see what he says. If I'm wrong and he doesn't have a focus on apnea, I may be shopping for one in the NEK area.
[Reply]
Frosty 03:20 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
All I can say is weigh your options on which machine to buy and talk to the doctor about outright buying the machine instead of making payments. Huge difference if you can just fork out a few hundred bucks.
My insurance made monthly payments on my machine for the first six months. I had to take the card in to prove I had used it 90% (iirc) of the time over that span. Then they bought it outright and it's mine. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up