ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 151
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****Official 2019/2020 Kansas Men's Basketball Repository Thread*****
saphojunkie 02:55 PM 04-09-2019
Welcome back, my friends.

The night is dark and full of sophomores. We were due a down year, but it's back to hunting banners.

Thread to be updated as new developments emerge.

RETURNING PLAYERS:

Spoiler!

LEAVING PLAYERS:
Spoiler!

INCOMING PLAYERS:

Spoiler!

IMPORTANT GAMES:
Spoiler!

[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:59 PM 12-04-2019
Didn't he get a bad injury?
[Reply]
sedated 09:46 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by Ceej:
SDS not getting on the court bugs me.

Thought for sure this kid would play with a big chip on his shoulder.
The excuse has been that he's rusty after a year off :-)

We shall see I guess. It has been shocking to not see him on the floor almost an entire half some games.
[Reply]
sedated 09:47 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Didn't he get a bad injury?
Wilson? Broken ankle, 10-12 weeks, nearly a month ago. Return expected in Jan.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:27 PM 12-04-2019

#meToo
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:46 AM 12-05-2019
So FWIW Graham hit 10 3s tonight for Charlotte. Good for him.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:51 AM 12-05-2019

More than that I thought he’d be better suited for the game these days than Doke or McCormick. Doke has his place as the giant fucking ogre on the floor. But SDS is so much more of a fluid athlete than McCormick (and I’m a McCormick fan) he should be able to get minutes, especially if 4s or even 5s try to stretch and work in space. If we need the size I can understand going McCormick but we haven’t really faced anyone big yet.

As much as Self wants to go 2 bigs, you’d think SDS would get reps defending the 4 guard lineups.

IDK man.
[Reply]
ramblinman73 01:16 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by sedated:
Wilson? Broken ankle, 10-12 weeks, nearly a month ago. Return expected in Jan.
He is red shirting this year
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:45 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by ramblinman73:
He is red shirting this year
Q :-)

Welcome to the Planet.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 08:21 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I don't think a coach should avoid intentionally fouling over honor. If you don't like a game being decided by fouling a player who doesn't have the ball, and I never have, the rules should be changed. But coaches should try to win within what the rules allow.

I would change both college and NBA so if a player not involved with the ball is fouled, team gets option to take ball out of bounds with short reset of shooting clock.

A player who is about to catch or has just thrown a pass is involved with the ball.
The strategy of fouling intentionally won Bob Knight a National Championship in 87. And it certainly helped KU in 2008.

But I agree that fouling a specific player, off the ball, just to put him on the line at the end of the game, should not be an option. But the problem is that there are legitimate off the ball fouls, like grabbing a cutting player when defending an inbounds play, that should put players on the line.

But the officials already can't get verticality or the charge/block calls correct, so changes to the rule book adding another judgement call in tight game situations would undoubtedly just lead to more controversy.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:27 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
The strategy of fouling intentionally won Bob Knight a National Championship in 87. And it certainly helped KU in 2008.

But I agree that fouling a specific player, off the ball, just to put him on the line at the end of the game, should not be an option. But the problem is that there are legitimate off the ball fouls, like grabbing a cutting player when defending an inbounds play, that should put players on the line.

But the officials already can't get verticality or the charge/block calls correct, so changes to the rule book adding another judgement call in tight game situations would undoubtedly just lead to more controversy.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I watched UNC get throttled at home last night, and the refs fucked up 3 charge calls against 1 dude on OSU. Felt like the Final 4 game with UNC.

Refs are just terrible across the board.

And if I'm getting the story straight, didn't Hardin dunk a ball and it ripped through the net so hard it rolled back up on the rim and off, the officials refused to count the bucket, and Houston lost in Double OT?

What a fuckfest officiating is these days.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:53 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
More than that I thought he’d be better suited for the game these days than Doke or McCormick. Doke has his place as the giant ****ing ogre on the floor. But SDS is so much more of a fluid athlete than McCormick (and I’m a McCormick fan) he should be able to get minutes, especially if 4s or even 5s try to stretch and work in space. If we need the size I can understand going McCormick but we haven’t really faced anyone big yet.

As much as Self wants to go 2 bigs, you’d think SDS would get reps defending the 4 guard lineups.

IDK man.
The problem with your logic here is that SDS isn't good enough defensively to guard stretch 4s away from the paint. It's unfortunate (and kind of a head scratcher), but it's true.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:04 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
The problem with your logic here is that SDS isn't good enough defensively to guard stretch 4s away from the paint. It's unfortunate (and kind of a head scratcher), but it's true.
I know this. But neither is McCormick and SDS, physically should pick it up better than McCormick is all I was saying.

And if you're going to give a guy some run to knock the rust off and see what he's got, it was the first few games (after Duke of course).

Obviously something else is going on.
[Reply]
kcjayhawks5 10:06 AM 12-05-2019
Unfortunately this is correct. I think SDS can learn to be a better defender on the perimeter but it will take time. He’s never had to do that before and looks very unsure of himself, which is understandable. It’s not rocket science he just needs practice.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:26 AM 12-05-2019
If we lost Doke for the season, and we just played SDS instead. Would we really be much worse? We wouldn't have to force the ball down low resulting in tons of turnovers and 38% FT attempts and can focus on moving the ball. Getting the open shot. Doke's defense really isn't that amazing anyway, he's just long and can occasionally get blocks. He's not a good rebounder or a plus defender.

Doke has value when used effectively, but I'm afraid when I hear Bill Self too much say how the offense has to run thru Doke and he has to catch it every time down the floor. Which is mind boggling to me. Lots of bad things can happen when you force the ball into the post. Either our guards throw the ball out of bounds trying to feed him, he bobbles the ball, gets it stripped, or gets fouled and we have a 35% FT shooter going to the line. All of those scenarios are not effective basketball. Sure, when he's wide open get him the ball but the force feeding him or wanting to do that sure isn't a great idea IMO.
[Reply]
sedated 10:48 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I know this. But neither is McCormick
I might have to disagree on the fluidity gap between McCormack and SDS. McCormack may not be a ballet dancer out there, but he has been surprisingly agile given his monster size. Since SDS isn't built for guarding stretch 4s either, McCormack's size works as an advantage even on the perimeter.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 151
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102 > Last »
Up