ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Report: Jets will pay “whatever it takes” to get Kirk Cousins
T-post Tom 10:39 AM 02-19-2018
The Jets apparently want Kirk Cousins. They apparently want him badly enough that they’re willing to break the bank for him.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, the Jets are “willing to pay whatever it takes” to get him.

This report comes amid a belief that the Jets may be willing to fully guarantee Cousins’ deal. The notion of paying “whatever it takes” becomes far more open-ended than that, especially since there’s no way of knowing what it will take until knowing what another team will pay.

If there’s at least one other team willing to make a similar commitment, the end result could be an auction that drives the market well north of $30 million per year. Assuming, of course, that Cousins would want to actually play for one of the teams willing to break the bank.

During a Super Bowl-week visit to PFT Live, Cousins seemed to suggest that he’s willing to take less to win, while also acknowledging that plenty of winning teams have expensive quarterbacks. Last year, he seemed to suggest that his goal is to make as much as possible.

“[T]here’s other quarterbacks that come after you and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract,” Cousins said in January 2017. “And if you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well. So there’s different reasons. You just do the best you can.”

Cousins will be doing better than the best any quarterback has ever done, whether it’s with the Jets or another team. Barring a third straight franchise tag from his current team (which remains unlikely, and likely would be scrapped via a grievance), Cousins will become the first healthy franchise quarterback on the right side of 30 to become a free agent in nearly a quarter-century of free agency. Given the $44 million he has made over the last two years, his next deal could push his career earnings toward a quarter-billion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/report-jets-will-pay-whatever-it-takes-to-get-kirk-cousins/
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:06 PM 02-19-2018
Not sure if repost or if it even matters - probably a non-story - but just in case I'll paste it below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3f0d9e5591cd
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 03:33 PM 02-19-2018
Here is the QB Contract list and when each becomes a FA...

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

This year will be nothing compared to 2019 and 2020, sign your QBs now. The $40M a year QB is not that far away.
[Reply]
TEX 06:34 PM 02-19-2018
Let the Cousins bidding war begin!

:-)
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:50 PM 02-19-2018
Franchise QB my ass :-) Stat whore.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:13 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
nobody would trade w/ the Redskins again if they pulled a stunt like that.
Sure they would. There are 31 other teams that are always looking to improve.
They may not just take them at their word, might require something in writing as soon as a deal is agreed to but yea. If the Redskins have something another team wants they aren't going to not trade based on a deal gone south with the Chiefs.
Not sure why everyone thinks any of the teams wouldn't trade with them in the future.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:18 PM 02-19-2018
I think the Jets signing Cousins would be wise on their end.

They've had shit luck with developing a QB and signing Kirk means they can forget Hack ever existed.

He won't ravage that cap, either.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:00 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Not only that but they'd be without a QB because if they Franchise Cousins again, they're looking at paying him $34.5 million in 2018 and they've already let it be known that they don't want him back.

It would be disastrous for their franchise, especially after agreeing to terms with not only the Chiefs but with Alex Smith's agent as well.
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
yes.
i am more like, how many teams inquired about alex, versus kc shopping him to teams. if kc was the instigator, it's 'possible' another team could decide to undercut the skins. not saying it would happen, but if that deal broke apart, i think kc would be the indian giver :-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:42 AM 02-20-2018
I expect it to get interesting but I doubt the Chiefs would back out. Maybe we'll be seeing Washington trade off Smith as a possibility.

I wonder what the Jets or someone else would give to get Alex with a five year deal, if the market get's crazy and cousins agrees to or gets stuck with the franchise tag or inks a long term deal.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:10 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
I expect it to get interesting but I doubt the Chiefs would back out. Maybe we'll be seeing Washington trade off Smith as a possibility.

I wonder what the Jets or someone else would give to get Alex with a five year deal, if the market get's crazy and cousins agrees to or gets stuck with the franchise tag or inks a long term deal.
i think the redskins get the better end of the deal personally. no year to year baggage with alex unlike cousins. cousins as predicted, may sign the most lucrative contract for an NFL player ever. there is a huge burden that comes with that, unless he lands in cleveland. even still there is pressure.

just the alex part of the deal, not the other tid-bits :-)
[Reply]
Chiefs=Champions 03:44 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:

Wut?
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:15 AM 02-20-2018
Kirk to Jets. AJ to Denver. Book it.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:35 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good:
Wut?
I just expect some voodajay on this by the time it plays out.
[Reply]
patteeu 10:30 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I imagine there is a good chance during the next CBA negotiations they come up with a single player max to keep the salary of QBs under control. The NFLPA will agree to it because the money will still have to be paid it will just be spread out over more players. You have to think that all the non-QBs in the league have to be getting pissed that the QBs are screwing their contract value up.
Side observation: The franchise tag serves to help spread the money around by partially blocking high end players from free agency, but the players seem to hate it even though most of them benefit.
[Reply]
wazu 10:35 AM 02-20-2018
I hope Denver wins the bidding war.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 10:38 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
Donks are gonna end up with Allen or Mayfield lol
Please let it be Mayfield, then bring Gunter back as DC for one game so he can make him turn a new Leaf.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up