ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Media Center>John Oliver
cooper barrett 04:00 AM 02-19-2018
OK your not fans of Bill Maher, don't miss Charlie Rose or Tavis Smiley but do you watch this?

[Reply]
listopencil 05:56 AM 02-19-2018
Nope. Too busy watching hot covers and dank memes on YouTube.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:27 AM 02-19-2018

[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:05 AM 02-19-2018
They're starting to blur together and prove too strident to take with the grain of salt they're supposed to be.

It's a weird mix where you are ostensibly primarily a comedic entertainment vehicle, but you definitely have a partisan slant, and you also cater facts to deliver more humor tinged sermons than humor based bits.

They ping-pong between lecture and absurdity so quickly it's tough, even when paying full informed attention, to tell when they're being absurd because the events demand it, and when they jump over into the absurd to mask that their lecture of the previous moment didn't really have a point or evidentiary support.

This is a great youtube channel, who I recalled doing a breakdown of other closely related shows. It lays out many of my gripes. But the central gripe is it's preying on your audience to lecture to them in the guise of entertaining them with such underhanded techniques.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:26 AM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

It's a weird mix where you are ostensibly primarily a comedic entertainment vehicle, but you definitely have a partisan slant, and you also cater facts to deliver more humor tinged sermons than humor based bits.
He is not a journalist. He doesn't pretend to be anything but partisan. Its his show. It's his opinions.

He's doing something no one has done before. Combine in depth research, mostly boring deep dives into an issue with buffoon, low brow comedic bits and snark.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:45 AM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
He is not a journalist. He doesn't pretend to be anything but partisan. Its his show. It's his opinions.

He's doing something no one has done before. Combine in depth research, mostly boring deep dives into an issue with buffoon, low brow comedic bits and snark.
If you have a criticism of my remarks, base them on my actual remarks, not the words you wish you could put in my mouth.

Never said he held himself out as a journalist. Never said he wasn't entitled to put out whatever show he and HBO agree to.

But it is important, I think, to highlight some of the slight of hand that happens in these format shows.

And it's not anything that hasn't been done before. It's right out of the StewBeef operations manual, employed by Colbert, Bee, Seth Meyers, Klepper, Thede, and was even preceded by Maher in many of his 'Last Word' segments on his own show through the years.

An ominous setup
A curated summary of salient events and/or chronology
A short but damning/absurd soundbyte
A look of seething rage
Close with an absurdist analogy that moves things back into comedy, while retaining the veneer of hard-hitting reportage.

Again, they have every right to do it. And people have every right to enjoy it. Just thought some people might also enjoy an analytical breakdown of their methods.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:49 AM 02-19-2018
Witty, funny, cracks me up.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:53 AM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
If you have a criticism of my remarks, base them on my actual remarks, not the words you wish you could put in my mouth.
chill out man geeezzz. I should have just posted the comment as a stand alone comment without quoting part of your comment. Are you a little stressed?
[Reply]
Rudy tossed tigger's salad 09:55 AM 02-19-2018
Baby LOLee

What a gasbag
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:20 AM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
chill out man geeezzz. I should have just posted the comment as a stand alone comment without quoting part of your comment. Are you a little stressed?
You're absolutely right.

You'd think by now I'd have learned that blathering nonsense is just that, even when directed specifically at me.

Breath taken, lesson learned, expectations adjusted. :-)
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:47 AM 02-19-2018
What Oliver and Stewart and Colbert have done over the years, and in my opinion what Samantha Bee has absolutely mastered, is nothing new. It's been in existence for forever. This is just our generation's version of it.

It's editorial and it's humor. The editorial really makes the humor land harder, and the humor makes the editorial very easy to ingest.

What Stewart did in 2001 was really learn how to weaponize it in ways that were incredibly specific and incisive. He didn't say Bernie Sanders is an old man who does old man things. His argument was that Bernie Sanders was way more reasonable and genuine than we've been accustomed, and as a result the media has no idea what to do with him than paint him as an old crazy dude. Agree or disagree, that's a way more incisive argument than anything current-day Colbert or Trevor Noah trots out.

Colbert on the CC show had that incisiveness, but has lost it for more bland editorial humor. Oliver and Bee have that incisiveness and then some. Bee in particular is a genius at weaponizing her editorial humor into actual political action.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:56 AM 02-19-2018
Oliver is another dick leftist.
[Reply]
Nickhead 01:52 PM 02-19-2018
both shows are getting to be unwatchable. too many half truths and no accountability for their own actions :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:10 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
both shows are getting to be unwatchable. too many half truths and no accountability for their own actions :-)
your watching a comedy show expecting Morrow/Cronkite truth?
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:11 PM 02-19-2018
He sucks and I hope he dies.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up