ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 72
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Most Teams ‘Not Interested’ in Chiefs’ Eric Bieniemy
Mephistopheles Janx 02:37 AM 12-30-2020
https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city...5-o3CPAb3Zxeek

Originally Posted by :
On a previous episode of the PFN Weekly show, Allbright mentioned that Eric Bieniemy is “a titleholder who relays the play calls in but doesn’t make the play calls very often.”

“Andy Reid’s doing the play calling. Like 99 percent of the time Andy Reid is doing the play calling, he designed the offense, all of that stuff.”

Allbright has also mentioned that Bieniemy’s previous interviews have been poor. These poor interviews have likely caused him to fall out of consideration for certain positions in the past. Allbright mentioned that some teams with vacancies aren’t all that interested in Bieniemy. These historical poor interviews could be a big reason why.

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:28 AM 12-31-2020
I mean, EB wouldn't be top of my list but he's still better than a lot of whats out there. But the poor interview line flusters me a little bit. The lions are replacing a bellichick guy who, surprise, was a curmudgeon and slob. The Jets are replacing a guy with the most embarrassing HC intro presser of all time. The jags are replacing a certified asshole. The same front offices that are gaga over the patriot and parcells way of maniacal arrogance and treating the media and fans like complete dogshit? Those guys time and time again were good interviews?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:35 AM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by In58men:
I wanted Manziel :-)
I would have taken him! I wonder if things would have been different if he'd landed somewhere like KC/NE/BAL.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:41 AM 12-31-2020
you have some real good ones if a team pulls a hail Mary and grabs Dabo. And Saleh is great too. But man, some of these teams could pass up EB for daboll, Caldwell, Frazier or urban fucking meyer. Could be a really underwhelming head coach class.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:18 AM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
And multiple other issues. I know we want to think these things aren’t a big deal but in the culture we live in, they just are. Especially when you are talking about the NFL PR machine.
I wouldn’t care about this stuff if it was that long ago. That’s the problem with society today. You mess up one time and you’re permanently ****ed.

People change. They grow. They get better. And goddamn man I think that makes EB a better coach. Players love guys who have played the game. They also love guys who don’t play games with them and have experience ****ing up.
Players will listen to a guy who has actually been there before and ****ed up themselves more than some poster boy from the league at their rookie symposium.

And yeah maybe EB isn’t a great interviewer. So what? Who gives a ****? I want a goddamn football coach.

5 years ago I got to be a part of an interview process hiring for a guy in our department. We loved the guy bc he was so well spoken and interviewed well. Guess what? We fired his ass 3 months into the job bc he was lazy and talked his way out of shit constantly. Management went a different direction and hired someone to replace him with work experience but not necessarily the best interviewing experience.

The new guy we hired is one of the best members of the team.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:29 AM 12-31-2020
And multiple other issues. I know we want to think these things aren’t a big deal but in the culture we live in, they just are. Especially when you are talking about the NFL PR machine.
The Lions had an alleged rapist as a Head Coach for years. NFL teams have PR departments to make that shit irrelevant.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:41 AM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
The Lions had an alleged rapist as a Head Coach for years. NFL teams have PR departments to make that shit irrelevant.
Those were allegations against him.

With EB, they are allegations of organizational dysfunction, which is directly relevant to being a head coach or other leadership position.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:59 AM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
And yeah maybe EB isn’t a great interviewer. So what? Who gives a ****? I want a goddamn football coach.
In most instances, an NFL Head Coach is more of a CEO than a "hands on, nitty gritty" coach. In addition to a large coaching staff, they have a minimum of 70 guys at all times to manage while also working with the GM, scouts and club president.

Now, I'm not stating that they don't have any input on scheme or game planning but they have their hands in every aspect of the football team, from scheduling and planning to routine meetings with ownership. The head coach needs to have great "People Skills" or the team will fail because no one wants to work for an asshole.

Smart teams perform Due Diligence before handing over the keys of their franchise to someone they're going to pay $6-8 million per year over 4 years, so it's understandable that if a guy doesn't "Check every box", they pass on him.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:07 PM 12-31-2020
EB's biggest problem is that he doesn't have a hook. You can't point out some easily discernable trait/characteristic of his that screams "he's great at {x}."

All we really have is Andy's word that he's a great coach and future HC, and the fact that the players love working for him.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:19 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
EB's biggest problem is that he doesn't have a hook. You can't point out some easily discernable trait/characteristic of his that screams "he's great at {x}."
Bieniemy's "biggest problem" is that he's a 52 year old offensive coordinator who isn't designing the offense, nor is he calling the plays.

In his last stint as an offensive coordinator in which he DID design the offense and call the plays, the team went a miserable 4-21 and could barely score points. The 2012 team, which went 1-11, holds the record for worst season in Colorado history.

After being fired along with the rest of the coaching staff, he was hired as the Chiefs running backs coach, a role in which he had from 2013-2017.

Since then, no one outside of Chiefs employees, truly knows and understands his role, which is a problem for a perspective employer.
[Reply]
kcclone 12:19 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

All we really have is Andy's word that he's a great coach and future HC, and the fact that the players love working for him.

I think his hook is that he's a coach that players love, but yet he's not a pushover, has high expectations and standards so they also have to respect him.

I think he can probably assemble a good staff, which is also half the battle.

I've found in life that 90% of the people that interview well are just that... good at bullshitting.

It certainly doesn't make you a great football coach if you are a good interviewer by conventional standards, IMO.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:22 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Smart teams perform Due Diligence before handing over the keys of their franchise to someone they're going to pay $6-8 million per year over 4 years, so it's understandable that if a guy doesn't "Check every box", they pass on him.
Smart teams do, but in general most teams aren’t smart. Even smart franchises are doing stupid shit.

We’re talking about a league that has had a lot of teams hire Patriot Way losers o ver and over again without having the slightest clue that it never works and turns out terribly every time.

The Giants are considered a good franchise historically and yet they hired Judge and what do ya know? The Patriot **** already got into a first fight in year 1.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:26 PM 12-31-2020
Bieniemy's "biggest problem" is that he's a 52 year old offensive coordinator who isn't designing the offense, nor is he calling the plays.

Since then, no one outside of Chiefs employees, truly knows and understands his role, which is a problem for a perspective employer.
Yeah, pretty much what I mean about EB not having a 'hook.' You can't point at anything concrete and say "this guy is great at this." Whether it's calling plays, designing plays, determining the overall strategies of how to attack defenses, etc.

If you're an owner/GM of a struggling team, that's a lot of unknowns to throw your hat at.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:32 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by kcclone:
I think his hook is that he's a coach that players love, but yet he's not a pushover, has high expectations and standards so they also have to respect him.

I think he can probably assemble a good staff, which is also half the battle.

I've found in life that 90% of the people that interview well are just that... good at bullshitting.

It certainly doesn't make you a great football coach if you are a good interviewer by conventional standards, IMO.
A real hook though is something concrete, something quantifiable. Being lovable or respected by themselves doesn't qualify.

Though I do agree that interviewing well isn't a true indicator of how competent someone is at a job. I interviewed thousands of prospects as an asst. mgr., manager, Regional Director, and figured out pretty quickly that good interviewees weren't any better employees than bad ones, overall. Being a good interview just means that a person is familiar with the principles of selling the best parts of themselves, and that's about it.

Some people are just good BS artists.
[Reply]
notorious 12:35 PM 12-31-2020

In his last stint as an offensive coordinator in which he DID design the offense and call the plays, the team went a miserable 4-21 and could barely score points. The 2012 team, which went 1-11, holds the record for worst season in Colorado history.

After being fired along with the rest of the coaching staff, he was hired as the Chiefs running backs coach, a role in which he had from 2013-2017.

That's why it's head scratching that people think he's a shoo-in for a HC job.

I don't see it.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:40 PM 12-31-2020
Those were allegations against him.

With EB, they are allegations of organizational dysfunction, which is directly relevant to being a head coach or other leadership position.

As a college offensive coordinator? Meh. Who cares?
[Reply]
Page 8 of 72
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Up