ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc
Easy 6 02:08 PM 04-23-2014
Its camping season, so I figured its time for a repository for all of the cool tips and tricks to be found out there that can make your experience easier and more enjoyable... don't wanna pack a tent so you can really rough it? theres a lot of different shelter designs out there, need to start a fire but forgot the lighter? there are tricks out there for that as well.

It can also branch out into cool knowledge that's useful around the home and in life in general, which is why I threw "life hacks" in there... this thread is for outdoorsmen and everyman.

Tell us your trick for saving money around the house, building a fire, catching food, making a field expedient water filter etc.
[Reply]
J Diddy 01:43 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
The best way to cook.

I've never seen one of them things. Usually we just use a big ol cast iron and put a rack around the edge. I'll have to try one of them out.
[Reply]
Fish 01:47 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Dick Bull:
I've never seen one of them things. Usually we just use a big ol cast iron and put a rack around the edge. I'll have to try one of them out.
You can cook damn near anything in one of those sumbitches....
[Reply]
Graystoke 01:54 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
You can cook damn near anything in one of those sumbitches....
So true. My favorite camp recipes involves two frozen pizzas, a tube of Jimmy Dean Sausage and lots of cheese.
I use mine at home for everything from Upside Down Pineapple cake to Mountain Man Breakfast.

Pro Tip:
Cooking with a Cast Iron Dutch Oven is fat free. The iron uptakes all the bad fats and cholesterol to make EVERYTHING HEALTHY.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:57 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Pro Tip:
Cooking with a Cast Iron Dutch Oven is fat free. The iron uptakes all the bad fats and cholesterol to make EVERYTHING HEALTHY.
Even opossum!
[Reply]
Rausch 02:02 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Even opossum!
Even the rare Mohawk Opossum!...
[Reply]
Sully 02:07 PM 04-24-2014
If you are making dinner for the whole family at home, make sure to let everyone else serve themselves, first. That way you have a good idea of how much to put on your plate without having to go back for seconds. In other words, "You had your chance and decided to skimp. I get the rest!!!"
[Reply]
stumppy 07:52 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by patteeu:
You'd better not be under very long if you're trying to breath through a hose that long. Almost all the air you inhale will be air you just exhaled and it won't take long to run out of oxygen.
Or you could not exhale into the hose. Either way it is only meant to buy some time.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:14 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Or you could not exhale into the hose. Either way it is only meant to buy some time.
That's a good point. Doh.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:35 AM 04-25-2014
Heres something I currently have on order, its truly an amazing little device, its rated to handle the filtration for 100,000 gallons of water, basically a lifetime supply, for $20-25.

Its not just great for backpackers, but it would be invaluable in a natural disaster where utility services might be affected, best $25 I ever spent.

[Reply]
Easy 6 11:40 AM 04-25-2014
Heres something else on order, got two of these for $10, the YoYo Fisherman, better than a limb line because it will actively set the hook and even yank the fish out of the water depending on its size.

They're illegal to use in Illinois, but piss on Illinois, if I put a couple out but don't use a pole while those are in the water whats the diff? Just not gonna get caught.

[Reply]
tooge 01:17 PM 04-25-2014
When filleting fish, start at the head. When your knife gets almost to the tail, stop cutting and flop the fillet over and onto the cutting board. It'll make removing it from the skin a very easy job. Repeat on the other side
[Reply]
tooge 01:21 PM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
I learned something on CP, Permethrin is the ****ing bomb for ticks. Soak pants and jacket with it. No ticks.
This! Spray on shoes, pants/shorts, and shirt back. U won't have a tick within 10 feet of you
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:39 PM 04-25-2014
10 home remedies that actually work...

http://naturehacks.com/natural-remed...t-really-work/

Next up, Survival Kit in an Altoids Tin, one of the craziest but hottest fads out there it seems, there are hundreds of different versions but this one is probably the best...

[Reply]
Easy 6 06:14 PM 04-25-2014
Heres one for all of you erstwhile Paul Kersey' out there, build your own stun gun...

[Reply]
Easy 6 06:44 PM 04-26-2014
How about a small, wood burning camp stove that will power your phone and other small gadgets?

It will still need to be disinfected, but heres a great way to clean your water and get fine particulates out in a pinch...

[Reply]
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up