ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 934 of 3903
« First < 434834884924930931932933934 935936937938944984103414341934 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mecca 07:00 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Drove through a large subdivision, not far from my house the other day, and there must have been 20 kids playing basketball together. I'm thinking WTF? Do parents not have any idea of what shelter in place means or do they think their kids are immune to catching it
The other problem you have is kids don't listen, you can tell them 500 times not do something, guess what they do?
[Reply]
wazu 07:04 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
If I'm remembering correctly, KS was the first or one of the first states to shut down schools.
Yes, they’ve won the “who can overreact the most and fastest” contest.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 03-31-2020, 07:06 AM
This message has been deleted by BigCatDaddy. Reason: Probably DC worthy
ptlyon 07:06 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The other problem you have is kids don't listen, you can tell them 500 times not do something, guess what they do?
They stick their dick in the cheese grater
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 07:07 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Yes, they’ve won the “who can overreact the most and fastest” contest.
Remains to be seen as to whether it was the right decision.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:08 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Drove through a large subdivision, not far from my house the other day, and there must have been 20 kids playing basketball together. I'm thinking WTF? Do parents not have any idea of what shelter in place means or do they think their kids are immune to catching it
Some parents are just not very good. Some cannot handle being around their kids for very long. Hell some lock their kids out so they can do drugs or drink without them around.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:08 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Eh, good for them.
What do you mean by this?

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:09 AM 03-31-2020
Remains to be seen as to whether it was the right decision.
Maybe. Regardless, there was no reason not to take in a few weeks at a time.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:11 AM 03-31-2020
I posted this in the DC thread but thought this is relevant here as well.

About Wuhan...yeah it is a real slow process there and we need to brace ourselves for this happening here until a vaccine or therapeutics are viable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3bc_story.html

Originally Posted by :
After 10 weeks confined to their apartments, unable to exercise, shop for groceries or walk their dogs, Wuhan residents are emerging into the daylight.

The subway and intercity trains are running again. Shopping malls and even the Tesla store are reopening. State-owned companies and manufacturing businesses are turning on their lights, with others to follow.

“I’ve been indoors for 70 days. Today is the first time that I came outside,” one woman who ventured into a mall this week told local television. “I feel as if I have been separated from the outside world for ages.”

Wuhan’s airport is due to reopen next week, and residents will be allowed to leave the city for the first time since it was locked down Jan. 23 to control the deadly coronavirus that originated there.

China’s leaders say the country has largely won the battle against its outbreak, reporting each day that domestic transmissions are negligible or nonexistent. The gradual reopening of parts of Hubei province — and now of Wuhan, the provincial capital — is testament to that.

But winning the war is proving to be a tougher proposition. That involves not only preventing a second wave of coronavirus infections but also restarting the economy. It’s becoming increasingly clear that officials cannot achieve both things at once.

Chinese authorities are discovering that allowing people — even those without fevers who are wearing surgical masks and are doused in hand sanitizer — to get too close to each other risks a new rise in infections. Recent media reports have focused on “silent carriers,” and studies have found that as many as one-third of people infected with the coronavirus show delayed or no symptoms.

“The possibility of a new round of infections remains relatively high,” National Health Commission spokesman Mi Feng said Sunday.

Despite the gradual reopening of Wuhan, things are still far from normal for the city of 11 million. Officials say that 2,535 people died there during the outbreak, while about 2,500 people remain hospitalized.

People are allowed out of their residential complexes only if they have a return-to-work pass issued by their employer, and only if the government-issued health code on their cellphone glows green — not orange or red — to show that they are healthy and cleared for travel. Residents report that some complexes deemed infection-free have quietly lost that status, without explanation.

In the malls that opened this week, people must stand five feet apart on escalators, and clothes that customers have tried on must be sprayed with disinfectant. Subway passengers must wear masks and sit two seats apart; footage on state media showed near-deserted cars and stations.

“They’re trying to turn the industrial engines back on as quickly as they can,” said Ryan Hass, a China expert at the Brookings Institution. “But it’s a bit of a challenge because 60 percent of the Chinese economy is the service sector. And even if they wanted people to go to movie theaters and restaurants right now, I don’t think there’s a lot of demand.”

While Wuhan struggles to return to normalcy, authorities have reinstated restrictions elsewhere.

Small businesses — from karaoke bars in the northern city of Shenyang to Internet cafes in the southwestern metropolis of Chengdu — that tentatively reopened in early March have been ordered to close.

Employees rushed to get back to Moon Village, a karaoke joint in Chengdu, over the weekend and enjoyed a celebratory drink together. The parlor’s social media pages featured photos of disinfecting procedures.

It wasn’t open even a day before local authorities told it to shut its doors.

Some 600 movie theaters that had reopened after a two-month shutdown — out of 70,000 nationwide that were ordered to close at the end of January, before what should have been the biggest box-office week of the year — have been abruptly ordered to go dark.

Indoor attractions such as Madame Tussauds and the landmark Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai, and even pavilions in scenic mountain attractions, have also been told to close.

Chinese authorities have not spelled out reasons for these closures, but analysts such as Thomas say they underline the fear of new infections and the long-term impact that could have on the economy.

This U-turn has been accompanied by other sudden changes, including a ban on foreigners entering China and limited inbound flights for Chinese nationals. The number of flights arriving in the country is less than 2 percent of normal.

[Reply]
ptlyon 07:11 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Riiiiiight
Iowa locked down St. Paddy's day at noon, just for the record.
[Reply]
wazu 07:12 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
What do you mean by this?

I mean I’m not concerned with some kids playing basketball in a driveway.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:15 AM 03-31-2020
Some parents are just not very good. Some cannot handle being around their kids for very long. Hell some lock their kids out so they can do drugs or drink without them around.

I couldn’t imagine doing that to my son. :-)

I hate the human race so much sometimes.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 07:16 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Maybe. Regardless, there was no reason not to take in a few weeks at a time.
I agreed, at least initially. If it had only been the initial "couple of weeks" that they were talking about. But right now we're entering week 3 for my kids school being closed - one of which was spring break. They would at least be closed through the stay at home order for Kansas - so at this point they wouldn't be going back to school until mid-late April. That would have only left 3-4 weeks of school for them in the best case scenario.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:17 AM 03-31-2020

It's a mixture, we have people with kids that shouldn't have had them because they're either irresponsible and didn't use birth control or thought they wanted what everyone else did and then didn't really want that...

Or you have kids who are so heavily coddled the idea of anything actually happening isn't real and they can't listen for shit.
[Reply]
notorious 07:26 AM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Iowa locked down St. Paddy's day at noon, just for the record.
Kansas shut down their state basketball tournament and school in the middle of the 2nd round, which would have been the first ****ing week of the month.

If we are comparing, which is childish as hell.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:26 AM 03-31-2020
I agreed, at least initially. If it had only been the initial "couple of weeks" that they were talking about. But right now we're entering week 3 for my kids school being closed - one of which was spring break. They would at least be closed through the stay at home order for Kansas - so at this point they wouldn't be going back to school until mid-late April. That would have only left 3-4 weeks of school for them in the best case scenario.
And they would be better off going for a month before summer break. Just over reactionary .
[Reply]
Page 934 of 3903
« First < 434834884924930931932933934 935936937938944984103414341934 > Last »
Up