ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3035 of 3903
« First < 2035253529352985302530313032303330343035 30363037303830393045308531353535 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 12:23 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Do metro hospitals on hospitalize people from the metro?

Same thing as here, rural area spread is exploding which leads to increased hospitalizations because there aren’t rural hospitals to hold them
I know we do but I couldn't tell you what the extent is of that. I know that between the people I work with and people I talk with at KU Med there isn't a threat of overload. That doesn't mean we aren't busy. Just that there isn't a fear of people being turned away or not getting care.

I believe if you read the Channel 41 article that Dr. Larsen and others all said that very thing.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:32 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
You either quoted a story that left a lot of things out or purposely left a lot of things out. Considering the misspelled Larsen's name too....

Earlier in the week, St. Luke's was on diversion for a short amount of time, which Larsen said happens at every hospital. This means they weren't accepting ambulances except for issues such as heart attack and trauma.

As of Friday afternoon, St. Luke's was not turning away ambulances.

The hospital sees a high volume of non-COVID patients in the beginning of the week, such as people who come in for surgery and need to stay a few days. Volumes typically level off toward the end of the week.

North Kansas City Hospital was on full diversion for less than half an hour late Friday morning, a spokesperson said, but that was due to “some significant trauma cases” in the emergency department.

The spokesperson said about half of the patients in critical care and the ICU at NKCH are COVID-19 patients and the hospital “continues to have capacity and is prepared to provide essential medical treatment."
https://apnews.com/article/virus-out...5fa3f7a1b47be3
[Reply]
petegz28 12:45 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
A local source rather than the 30,000 ft view the AP gave.
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
https://apnews.com/article/virus-out...5fa3f7a1b47be3
Yes and DT kindly pointed out what the AP left out and Channel 41 didn't.
[Reply]
TLO 01:15 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
I was listening to the Skeptics Guild to the Universe, which I do respect their opinions, and they were touting how a couple mile stones were passed in the last week or so. Two million deaths worldwide and 200,00 in the US alone.

It got me thinking, how does it compare to the 1918 Spanish Flu? A quick google search and there were 50 million deaths from Spanish Flu worldwide. We got a way to go to meet that, but maybe it will be up there with it, right?

Then it occured to me that the population was a lot less back then, so lets do some quicky math. 50 million death from a 2 billion population makes it so that 2.5% of the world's population died from Spanish Flu. Our current world population is almost 8 Billion now. 2.5% of 8 billion is 200 million.

Any opinions beyond that are just subjective, take it as you will, but we have a ways to go before we get Spanish Flu Pandemic numbers
Luckily, this isn't anywhere near the Spanish Flu. When we were seeing CFR and IFR numbers that were frighteningly high in March and April, I think it caused a lot of worry. (Justifiably so) A lot of people, myself included, are still a bit shaken by that initial panic.

This pandemic has been awful. No doubt about it. But we should be thankful it isn't a whole lot worse.
[Reply]
TLO 01:18 PM 10-18-2020
And hopefully in the time that comes after this pandemic, governments around the world will develop an actual plan to handle what it's like to run into a highly contagious novel pathogen that has the ability to kill a lot more people than covid ever will.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:35 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Luckily, this isn't anywhere near the Spanish Flu. When we were seeing CFR and IFR numbers that were frighteningly high in March and April, I think it caused a lot of worry. (Justifiably so) A lot of people, myself included, are still a bit shaken by that initial panic.

This pandemic has been awful. No doubt about it. But we should be thankful it isn't a whole lot worse.
Medicine was a bit different back then. Covid then and Spanish flu now results would be different.
[Reply]
TLO 05:59 PM 10-18-2020
Girlfriends son isn't feeling well again. Has a very stuffy nose, but also says he can't taste or smell anything. Tried doing a taste test with him with some different items. He got a couple right, some wrong.

Idk
[Reply]
petegz28 06:04 PM 10-18-2020
Girlfriends son isn't feeling well again. Has a very stuffy nose, but also says he can't taste or smell anything. Tried doing a taste test with him with some different items. He got a couple right, some wrong.

Idk
I know people love to give me shit about it but yeah, not being able to smell or taste while having a congested, stuffy nose is not uncommon at all.

The colds are going around right now. I've been battling bouts of congesting the last week myself.
[Reply]
TLO 06:46 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I know people love to give me shit about it but yeah, not being able to smell or taste while having a congested, stuffy nose is not uncommon at all.

The colds are going around right now. I've been battling bouts of congesting the last week myself.
I know what you mean. It's hard for a 10 year old to tell me whether or not he thinks his taste and smell are just slightly off, or just simply not there.
[Reply]
philfree 06:47 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Medicine was a bit different back then. Covid then and Spanish flu now results would be different.
This seems true but we also have pretty rapid world travel to spread COVID and still yet we had no immediate vaccine or real treatment. And so far we're lucky COVID didn't devastate our young people like the Spanish Flu did.
[Reply]
TLO 07:04 PM 10-18-2020
He guessed right on pickle juice
A mint
And chocolate syrup.

He missed on cinnamon powder.

We were having a laugh doing the tests. I got hit back with mayo, mustard, and nutella.

I think it's probably just a stuffy nose.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:11 PM 10-18-2020
A mint
And chocolate syrup.

We were having a laugh doing the tests. I got hit back with mayo, mustard, and nutella.

Shit, if he's 10 he is good. Now, you on the other hand.... :-)
[Reply]
TLO 07:50 PM 10-18-2020
A mint
And chocolate syrup.

[Reply]
Rausch 08:30 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
This seems true but we also have pretty rapid world travel to spread COVID and still yet we had no immediate vaccine or real treatment. And so far we're lucky COVID didn't devastate our young people like the Spanish Flu did.
Young people with a healthy immune system are good. Very unlikely they see the serious end of this.

At my work it's just now really going around. EVERYONE has been exposed to multiple people with the Rona. Most have no symptoms at all. Not even fever.

Probably 1/3 have missed time (because you have to stay home if you have symptoms.)

A cowoker had the common symptoms (headache, no smell/taste for 3 days, 4 day flu symptoms.) She's 24-26, mixed race, no health issues. She's fine now other than still being shorter of breath than normal.

She had 5 days of symptoms total, 3 days of being "really sick," and day 8 she's just doing the mandatory 2 negative tests to return.

For the older elderly and those with compromised immune systems this could be fatal. This is also possible for the flu. Research what you can do to help your own natural immune system. Read up on what you could be doing that compromises it. Change your odds by being smart about what you can control yourself.

And believe it our not studies have shown that laughter can help the immune system. CP can save lives - post here early and often...
[Reply]
philfree 09:11 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Young people with a healthy immune system are good. Very unlikely they see the serious end of this.

At my work it's just now really going around. EVERYONE has been exposed to multiple people with the Rona. Most have no symptoms at all. Not even fever.

Probably 1/3 have missed time (because you have to stay home if you have symptoms.)

A cowoker had the common symptoms (headache, no smell/taste for 3 days, 4 day flu symptoms.) She's 24-26, mixed race, no health issues. She's fine now other than still being shorter of breath than normal.

She had 5 days of symptoms total, 3 days of being "really sick," and day 8 she's just doing the mandatory 2 negative tests to return.

For the older elderly and those with compromised immune systems this could be fatal. This is also possible for the flu. Research what you can do to help your own natural immune system. Read up on what you could be doing that compromises it. Change your odds by being smart about what you can control yourself.

And believe it our not studies have shown that laughter can help the immune system. CP can save lives - post here early and often...
I have a small business and we all ended up with it. The other three guys are close to retirement so I've worried about them. I ended up with a little pneumonia but I'll kick that with ease. Truth is I've had worse strep than this COVID.
[Reply]
Page 3035 of 3903
« First < 2035253529352985302530313032303330343035 30363037303830393045308531353535 > Last »
Up