ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2033 of 3903
« First < 1033153319331983202320292030203120322033 203420352036203720432083213325333033 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 11:40 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Assuming this isn't just the mother of all trolling jobs, I gotta say that if you live by this code it's amazing you ever come to a decision on anything in your life. Literally every person you've ever come in contact with, expert or otherwise has been "wrong" about something due to the situation being fluid and gaining new information.
I doubted this would become anything more than SARS-1 back in the beginning of the thread. Fuck me and my changing views, I guess.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:40 AM 05-13-2020
Fauci actually said it well during his Senate testimony yesterday in terms of his big picture role... he is a scientist and he offers medical opinions, but he is not an economist and therefore his medical opinions should be just a part of a comprehensive strategy that focuses on lives AND livelihoods.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:41 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Originally it was meant to be a thread that wasn't bogged down in criticisms of the feds' response. I never would have guessed that Fauci would somehow become viewed as a political figure, but here we are.

My personal preference would be that the thread become a place to discuss evidence-based policy, but that's pretty much impossible to moderate.
If I had an easy way to do it, I'd start a thread with a different approach:

Anyone who has >100 posts in DC in the past 12 months 100% isn't allowed. No exceptions.

I have less of an issue with "politics" than I do with "people who like talking about politics." The ceaseless bickering is just exhausting for me to read.

I'd argue you at least had an idea this was coming.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:41 AM 05-13-2020
Originally it was meant to be a thread that wasn't bogged down in criticisms of the feds' response. I never would have guessed that Fauci would somehow become viewed as a political figure, but here we are.

My personal preference would be that the thread become a place to discuss evidence-based policy, but that's pretty much impossible to moderate.

[Reply]
Donger 11:43 AM 05-13-2020
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wh...-virus-spreads

Americans should wear face masks as a way to help stifle the spread of COVID-19, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the nation’s top doctors leading the public health fight against the coronavirus pandemic — a departure from previous government guidance to only wear a mask if you were caring for someone with the illness or had it yourself.

“If everybody does that, we’re each protecting each other,” Fauci said in an interview with PBS NewsHour anchor and managing editor Judy Woodruff.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:44 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's basically impossible to avoid it at this point, decisions are being made based on politics.
Is it politics or economics? And no, I don’t necessarily believe they are one and the same
[Reply]
DaFace 11:45 AM 05-13-2020
I'd argue you at least had an idea this was coming.
I'm, admittedly, naive when it comes to political discourse. I don't watch TV news at all. I've probably spent less than an hour total in the past year reading threads in DC. I get most of my news from scrolling Google News, which gives me news from a variety of sources, and I don't really get excited about sensationalist headlines.

It's beyond my understanding that the people who keep our water and food safe, who work to reduce substance abuse, improve mental health, improve air quality, and just generally keep people healthy, are now being politicised. I do research studies with public health departments. I can assure you that none of them are in it for the money.

So yeah, I'm pretty surprised at how this has all gone.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:46 AM 05-13-2020
I'm, admittedly, naive when it comes to political discourse. I don't watch TV news at all. I've probably spent less than an hour total in the past year reading threads in DC. I get most of my news from scrolling Google News, which gives me news from a variety of sources, and I don't really get excited about sensationalist headlines.

It's beyond my understanding that the people who keep our water and food safe, who work to reduce substance abuse, improve mental health, and ensure that our communities are safe, are now being politicised. I do research studies with public health departments. I can assure you that none of them are in it for the money.

Fair enough. As a mod here, I just assumed you had seen this movie before.

A lot of the same actors.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:48 AM 05-13-2020
Fair enough. As a mod here, I just assumed you had seen this movie before.

A lot of the same actors.
I largely leave the mods who participate in DC to deal with DC. And by "deal with" I largely mean "ignore it."
[Reply]
Monticore 11:50 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I am not going to fault Fauci for his lack of economic understanding of all this. That part is not his job. I will however point out that a few months ago he told us this was nothing for us to worry about and we would not have to change our lifestyles.Then just over a month ago he was stating that masks were really not that useful and more psychological.

People can spin why he said what he said but obviously as it turns out he was wrong. Which is why I like to hear from more than just one person on any kind of issue of this magnitude.
Do you think he went out on his own on those initial statements and didn't it run by a committee.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:51 AM 05-13-2020
Because he hasn't always been right.
How could anyone expect him to be 'right' 100% of the time, when this is the first time this century in which America and the world has dealt with a virus of this nature?

Again, this is science and the first time any scientists have dealt with this deadly strain.

I said we should listen to others as well.
Who? Which credible immunologist have disagreed with Fauci's advice?

You say his word isn't gospel yet you are doing just what I am talking about which is arguing with anyone who says his word isn't gospel.
No, YOU said his word wasn't Gospel, not me. Again, Gospel has been set in stone for more than 2,000 years.

Science changes every day due to new discoveries.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:51 AM 05-13-2020

It's beyond my understanding that the people who keep our water and food safe, who work to reduce substance abuse, improve mental health, improve air quality, and just generally keep people healthy, are now being politicised. I do research studies with public health departments. I can assure you that none of them are in it for the money.

In the Imperial College paper that the UK and the US latched on to do the lockdown the authors stated that there were two basic ways of dealing with this. Mitigation or containment. Both have pros and cons but the public was fed containment as the only road possible. Now that the hospital systems are not overwhelmed in most of the country I believe there will be much more discussion about the road not take or even presented.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:55 AM 05-13-2020
I never would have guessed that Fauci would somehow become viewed as a political figure, but here we are.
Yeah, well, if you spend time in D.C it's easy to see how opinions of him devolved and why. Of course in this thread I'm suppose to act like i never read why opinions of him have soured in a conversation about why he's not trusted. Seems silly to me. It's like a giant elephant in the room that we're suppose to avoid because it's political, but the entire subject is rooted in politics.

If this next paragraph gets me in trouble so be it.

My opinion is that in the early goings of this, he was seen as sort of a comforting figure. You had this articulate, intelligent and good spirited man as Trump's advisor telling the public to be calm, at a time when the WH seemed rather unsure and rather dismissive of the subject.

America needed a guy that they could trust when #$%^ was bumbling his early days through this and was clear that he needed an advisor. In comes this guy that is a leading expert since Reagan, that the WH has thrown into the public and told was THE MAN on the subject. He had the charisma and intellect and most of America gravitated towards him. He comforted America, letting people feel like they had the right guy to guide us through this.

Next thing you know he's doing interviews on certain media outlets and i'm reading threads that are rather trustworthy and fond of him.

And i still remember how opinions shifted within days when...well...anything more i could say from here would be crossing the line i guess.
[Reply]
TLO 11:59 AM 05-13-2020
The IHME model updated again for anyone who is interested.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/
[Reply]
DaFace 12:03 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The IHME model updated again for anyone who is interested.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/
Any obvious changes? Looks like they keep revising the death figures upward, which isn't surprising given the relaxed restrictions.

It still shows hospital utilization as being well within capacity in the states I clicked through, so nothing terribly surprising there.
[Reply]
Page 2033 of 3903
« First < 1033153319331983202320292030203120322033 203420352036203720432083213325333033 > Last »
Up