ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2032 of 3903
« First < 1032153219321982202220282029203020312032 203320342035203620422082213225323032 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:29 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Actually this was being discussed this morning with the NYU guys. There are still studies going on with this and they were talking with the Cleveland Clinic this morning. They are also working on studies that still use zinc but with other methods to help get the zinc absorbed into the body.
A review of seven trials showed no efficacy for zinc either on its own or in combination with hydroxychloroquine.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:30 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
See: post regarding scientific consensus.
https://jacksoncoker.com/landing-pag...9_medications/
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 11:30 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Then explain to us why people shouldn't trust Dr. Fauci.
Because he is an unelected official who apparently has had significant input on issuing recommendations that have led to draconian restrictions on business operations and the personal freedoms of law abiding citizens.

And Fauci is a hypocrite... he is only willing to do a “modified” self-quarantine after he was directly exposed to people in the White House who tested positive for COVID-19.

Would he recommend a similar “modified” self-quarantine to other 79 year olds who have been exposed to a positive case of the virus?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:31 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
A review of seven trials showed no efficacy for zinc either on its own or in combination with hydroxychloroquine.
A review of other trials has shown the exact opposite. Just posted two more today.

So I mean the SCIENCE is always changing, best not to just dismiss what OTHER experts are saying because you have a AGENDA.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:31 AM 05-13-2020
Maybe you should call and tell them?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:31 AM 05-13-2020
Excellent article on herd-immunity and how vaccines affect it, R0, and fatality rate.

I would encourage everyone to read this. It also has a tool you can use to demonstrate how many people need to get the disease for herd immunity and what the total fatalities would be based upon the fatality rate.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-wont-save-us/

Read it this morning, this part stuck out to me:

Originally Posted by :
And reaching herd immunity as the outbreak is raging is a completely different scenario than, for example, doing so after a vaccine has been created. With a vaccine, you can immunize people before they’ve encountered the virus, so by the time the virus gets to a vaccinated population, it has nowhere to spread. But in an active outbreak, even once the herd immunity threshold is reached, the infection keeps going. It takes time for the spread of the disease to crest because, for a while at least, many contagious people will each still infect a small number of vulnerable people, which means even more people will get sick and die. It’s a phenomenon known as “overshoot.”

“The disease sort of stops increasing at the point when you reach herd immunity, but there’s still lots and lots of people infected. It only slowly goes down, and on its way down, [it] infects another third of the population,” said Richard Neher, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Basel in Switzerland. “If you drive a car and suddenly you switch off the engine, it doesn’t stop instantly.”

So think of crossing the herd immunity threshold as determining the fate of the disease (it’s now bound to die out) rather than its status (it’s dead).

Since the new coronavirus is highly contagious (meaning a large percentage of the population would have to get it to slow its spread), the human toll of reaching herd immunity without a vaccine would be staggering. And that’s assuming that once a person gets sick, they stay immune for a long time. But at this point, we don’t know if that’s the case.

[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 11:33 AM 05-13-2020
Excellent article on herd-immunity and how vaccines affect it, R0, and fatality rate.

I would encourage everyone to read this. It also has a tool you can use to demonstrate how many people need to get the disease for herd immunity and what the total fatalities would be based upon the fatality rate.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-wont-save-us/
Waiting a decade or never for a scalable/effective vaccine is a more “realistic” option?
[Reply]
petegz28 11:34 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Because he is an unelected official who apparently has had significant input on issuing recommendations that have led to draconian restrictions on business operations and the personal freedoms of law abiding citizens.

And Fauci is a hypocrite... he is only willing to do a “modified” self-quarantine after he was directly exposed to people in the White House who tested positive for COVID-19.

Would he recommend a similar “modified” self-quarantine to other 79 year olds who have been exposed to a positive case of the virus?
I am not going to fault Fauci for his lack of economic understanding of all this. That part is not his job. I will however point out that a few months ago he told us this was nothing for us to worry about and we would not have to change our lifestyles.Then just over a month ago he was stating that masks were really not that useful and more psychological.

People can spin why he said what he said but obviously as it turns out he was wrong. Which is why I like to hear from more than just one person on any kind of issue of this magnitude.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:35 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Looks at title of thread.

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

Looks at Detoxing's post.

:-)
:-) @ "NON POLITICAL".

This thread has been anything but that. That ship sailed a long time ago.

If you want this thread to be what some intend on it being, then discourse needs to be removed all together.
[Reply]
R Clark 11:36 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Masks don't do jack shit!
I bet they do a good job of hiding your face on them late night break in’s
[Reply]
Mecca 11:36 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

If you want this thread to be what some intend on it being, then discourse needs to be removed all together.
It's basically impossible to avoid it at this point, decisions are being made based on politics.
[Reply]
Donger 11:37 AM 05-13-2020
I am not going to fault Fauci for his lack of economic understanding of all this. That part is not his job. I will however point out that a few months ago he told us this was nothing for us to worry about and we would not have to change our lifestyles.Then just over a month ago he was stating that masks were really not that useful and more psychological.

People can spin why he said what he said but obviously as it turns out he was wrong. Which is why I like to hear from more than just one person on any kind of issue of this magnitude.
He said that it wasn't a major concern YET back in February. That was because we didn't have any cases of community spread.

I don't recall him saying that about masks. I do recall the exact opposite more than a month ago.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:37 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
I bet they do a good job of hiding your face on them late night break in’s

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:38 AM 05-13-2020

Assuming this isn't just the mother of all trolling jobs, I gotta say that if you live by this code it's amazing you ever come to a decision on anything in your life. Literally every person you've ever come in contact with, expert or otherwise has been "wrong" about something due to the situation being fluid and gaining new information.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:38 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

Originally it was meant to be a thread that wasn't bogged down in criticisms of the feds' response. I never would have guessed that Fauci would somehow become viewed as a political figure, but here we are.

My personal preference would be that the thread become a place to discuss evidence-based policy, but that's pretty much impossible to moderate.
[Reply]
Page 2032 of 3903
« First < 1032153219321982202220282029203020312032 203320342035203620422082213225323032 > Last »
Up