ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2029 of 3903
« First < 1029152919291979201920252026202720282029 203020312032203320392079212925293029 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 10:51 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
What would you do?

My wife booked a round trip through Tampa about 2 months ago, scheduled for June 5th. We've booked a small house on a tiny island south of the city. Fairly isolated. The plan from the start was to basically hang out at the house, enjoy the weather and the pool and occasionally walk down to the beach.

Fast forward to now, and while the flight is nowhere near full, I'm having some serious reservations about going through with this trip. I'm hearing stories of airlines consolidating flights last minute with no notification, essentially filling planes to capacity and making social distancing impossible.

My main issue is that my wife does not share my concerns. Not even in the slightest. She is so hellbent on getting out of the house that she seems to be in some level of denial that air travel, or travel in general, is a serious risk right now. We are both young and in great health, but I worry about being a vector and spreading this thing to someone I either know or don't know. I can't imagine that.

I feel like she's being incredibly selfish, and only wants to take this trip because we have been at home for so long. It's a want, not a need. Our division over it has caused a lot of stress and several arguments. I am trying to find a compromise - something like driving to the mountains and staying in a remote cabin. Hiking, fishing, etc. but she just isn't biting.

To compound matters, we would be traveling with our 1 year old son. That, to me, is enough to axe the entire thing. We can wear masks and keep our hands off of shit. He will touch every surface, put his hands in his mouth, etc.

It's just too much risk for me to be willing to take right now.

Am I tripping? Would you go or put your foot down and say we aren't doing it.

Not looking for someone to tell me what to do here, just looking for some outside perspective.
If it were me, I'd put it off. But if you're both relatively young, relatively healthy, and otherwise won't interact with anyone who is high-risk for a couple weeks after you return, it's probably not THAT risky.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:51 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I don't think he is extreme , it just comes off like that to people who don't agree with him, he just happens to be focusing on the virus aspect of the pandemic because that is his job , he probably thinks it is going to be worse than he is saying if you asked him in private.
And I could easily counter that those who tend to blindly agree with him would never accuse him of being extreme. See how that works?
[Reply]
Donger 10:51 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Try Google....
You want me to google "NYU doctors" without names?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:51 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Elaborate?
Greta Thunberg has no business being apart of a discussion regarding COVID
[Reply]
petegz28 10:53 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Greta Thunberg has no business being apart of a discussion regarding COVID
FYP.....
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:54 AM 05-13-2020
"We can't end the lockdown until there's a vaccine against fossil fuel use."
[Reply]
petegz28 10:55 AM 05-13-2020
Hey look at this..some actual good news

CORONAVIRUS LIVE UPDATES: Nearly 1,800 recoveries in Kansas

https://www.kmbc.com/article/coronav...ounty/32446420
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:56 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I've learned quite a bit reading this thread. I've added absolutely nothing to it but reading and learning. So, thanks to everyone who has contributed useful info. However, I hate the fact that we have taken a world-wide health crisis and weaponized it to the point that we can't discuss this issue without beating each other up. Christ, folks, we are all trying to get through this thing, and we are naturally jaded by our POV. It'd be cool if this thread just stuck with the facts and stopped with "everything else" that adds absolutely nothing.

Unrealistic, I know, but my $0.02 .........
I've mentioned it several times and I'll stick my neck out and say it again. The problem with all this, is that we are in a position where we have to put a lot of trust into a group of people that have done little to earn our trust. And the division created by that group of people fans the flames even more.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:57 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
He's not conducting research. He's looking across the landscape of research and drawing conclusions based on the general consensus. And it's not like there's this army of epidemiologists and public health officials who disagree with him. A vast, vast majority of experts agree with his conclusions.

If there's one thing that I've come to despise about the current public discourse about science, it's that people don't understand (or care about?) the idea of scientific consensus. If 10 studies are done, and 9 of them come to the same conclusion, that's pretty reliable. Is it perfect? No. But if we're placing bets (in the form of policy), it's pretty good.

The world we live in, though, means that people who don't like that consensus will just point to the 1 dissenting study and say that it "proves" that the consensus is "wrong." Is it possible the others were wrong? Yes. Is it likely? No.

We've somehow arrived in a world that, despite millenia of scientific advances leading to where we are today, people look for anything they can possibly do to discredit anything they don't agree with.

I'm not saying we should trust everything that Fauci says. I even agree that it would be nice to have an economist more prominently featured who can bring that view to the discussion (though note that surveys of economists suggest they think that opening things up is risky as well). I just don't understand why everyone is going all conspiracy theorist about the guy when he's literally dedicated his life to keeping people healthy.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
petegz28 05-13-2020, 10:59 AM
This message has been deleted by petegz28.
DaneMcCloud 11:02 AM 05-13-2020
And why is it we should listen to only Fauci? Sorry but as you said, it isn't gospel. Therefore I like to get a broader take on things and not just one man's opinion. Fauci seems to come off as a bit extreme. The more people I hear talking like the doctors from NYU, etc. the more I am convinced that Fauci is on the edge a lot so I like to hear opinions from others to provide some balance.
So, you're under the impression that it's Fauci's word and his only that has determined policy because he's been the spokesperson since the beginning of this pandemic?

That he and he alone is making policy without input from leading scientists from around the world?

That he's some sort of bully?
[Reply]
Monticore 11:03 AM 05-13-2020
And I could easily counter that those who tend to blindly agree with him would never accuse him of being extreme. See how that works?
The people that agree with him are also experts in his field so I wouldn't say they are blindly agreeing with him.

For us non experts we are not really blindly agreeing with him but rather in positions that make it hard for us to disagree with him completely.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:07 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
So, you're under the impression that it's Fauci's word and his only that has determined policy because he's been the spokesperson since the beginning of this pandemic?

That he and he alone is making policy without input from leading scientists from around the world?

That he's some sort of bully?
No, it's my impression that several people including a lot of the media sell his word as gold and quickly defend any questioning of him.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:08 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
The people that agree with him are also experts in his field so I wouldn't say they are blindly agreeing with him.

For us non experts we are not really blindly agreeing with him but rather in positions that make it hard for us to disagree with him completely.
What about the experts that don't necessarily agree with him?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:08 AM 05-13-2020
No, it's my impression that several people including a lot of the media sell his word as gold and quickly defend any questioning of him.
Then explain to us why people shouldn't trust Dr. Fauci.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:09 AM 05-13-2020
What about the experts that don't necessarily agree with him?
Like who?
[Reply]
Page 2029 of 3903
« First < 1029152919291979201920252026202720282029 203020312032203320392079212925293029 > Last »
Up