ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2025 of 3903
« First < 1025152519251975201520212022202320242025 202620272028202920352075212525253025 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:48 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
I see about the same percentage of people wearing them. It seems to be a higher percentage of people wearing them at Whole Foods, but everywhere else is less than half. I see many people with masks on, including the instacart shoppers, grabbing 5 or 6 apples, oranges, etc. before deciding on which one they want so it really just seems like the mask thing is just defeating the purpose.
For what it's worth, it's relatively unlikely that you'll have any issues with transmission from food items. Can it happen? Sure. It's just not very common.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:48 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Oh hell, I'm agreeing with Pete.

THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US
IKR

:-)
[Reply]
petegz28 08:49 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Your wife probably has 100x more real world experience than Fauci. I also think its interesting the economist views are ignored while doctors who continually repeat "we don't know yet" are taken as gospel.
Exactly. I have heard several other practicing doctors that fall between Fauci and the "open it all up crowd". And that seems to be the most pragmatic approach.

1. Quit moving goal posts
2. Let Governors decide
3. Governors let counties decide
4. Counties let cities decide

But it starts with not moving the goal posts. Some places have clearly gone from "flatten the curve" to "not until we have a vaccine".
[Reply]
Monticore 08:51 AM 05-13-2020
Your wife probably has 100x more real world experience than Fauci. I also think its interesting the economist views are ignored while doctors who continually repeat "we don't know yet" are taken as gospel.
I consider saying "I don't know" as a sign of intelligence.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:52 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Masks don't do jack shit!
An early study from the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine has indicated there is no evidence that homemade fabric masks (i.e. the non-medical/non-N95 masks the CDC wants the general public to wear) impede the transmission of aerosols implicated in the spread of COVID-19.

Link: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...19-experts-say
[Reply]
Lzen 08:53 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Wrong.

Holy shit!
[Reply]
DaFace 08:54 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Exactly. I have heard several other practicing doctors that fall between Fauci and the "open it all up crowd". And that seems to be the most pragmatic approach.

1. Quit moving goal posts
2. Let Governors decide
3. Governors let counties decide
4. Counties let cities decide

But it starts with not moving the goal posts. Some places have clearly gone from "flatten the curve" to "not until we have a vaccine".
I would agree with you if people were actually adhering to SOME sort of guidance from people who know what they're talking about. I don't think there's a single state in the country (maybe Montana?) who are actually to the point they should be relaxing restrictions based on the actual CDC guidance, and many are aggressively going to Phase 3 when they haven't even seen what's going to happen in Phase 1.

As I've said before, it's nice that we'll actually have decent data sets soon. I'm just glad my state isn't one of them going all Leeeeerrroooooyyyy Jeeennnnnkiinnnnnnsssss on a deadly virus.
[Reply]
Donger 08:55 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
An early study from the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine has indicated there is no evidence that homemade fabric masks (i.e. the non-medical/non-N95 masks the CDC wants the general public to wear) impede the transmission of aerosols implicated in the spread of COVID-19.

Limited, indirect evidence from lab studies suggests that homemade fabric masks may capture large respiratory droplets

I don't believe many people think that home-made masks do anything more than that.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:55 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:

Yes. Let's all throw out the past 1.5 months worth of research and just go back to what was known in the early stages of the outbreak.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:56 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yes. Let's all throw out the past 1.5 months worth of research and just go back to what was known in the early stages of the outbreak.
:-)
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:57 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Limited, indirect evidence from lab studies suggests that homemade fabric masks may capture large respiratory droplets

I don't believe many people think that home-made masks do anything more than that.
So unless you are directly sneezing or coughing at someone (and not covering your sneeze/cough), the homemade cloth masks are a waste of time.

They are not protecting the spread of the smaller droplets from talking, etc.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:58 AM 05-13-2020

You just read a link I posted few pages ago on some economist opinions, do you think these decision are made without looking at the whole picture.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:58 AM 05-13-2020
Provide additional supporting research that counters this study and touts the benefit of wearing non-medical/non-/N95 masks.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:59 AM 05-13-2020
I would agree with you if people were actually adhering to SOME sort of guidance from people who know what they're talking about. I don't think there's a single state in the country (maybe Montana?) who are actually to the point they should be relaxing restrictions based on the actual CDC guidance, and many are aggressively going to Phase 3 when they haven't even seen what's going to happen in Phase 1.

As I've said before, it's nice that we'll actually have decent data sets soon. I'm just glad my state isn't one of them going all Leeeeerrroooooyyyy Jeeennnnnkiinnnnnnsssss on a deadly virus.
Well again that goes back to my first point, quit moving the goal posts. We were told we had to lock down to flatten the curve. The curve has been flattened. Now some places are coming up with new reasons. The only reason imo at the moment is "our hospitals are crammed and we don't have enough doctors, nurses and resources". That is largely not the case. So let the localities make their decisions based on their situation.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:00 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Well again that goes back to my first point, quit moving the goal posts. We were told we had to lock down to flatten the curve. The curve has been flattened. Now some places are coming up with new reasons. The only reason imo at the moment is "our hospitals are crammed and we don't have enough doctors, nurses and resources". That is largely not the case. So let the localities make their decisions based on their situation.
The guidance was put out there a month ago, so the only goal posts I'm seeing moved recently are places moving forward without meeting the guidelines.
[Reply]
Page 2025 of 3903
« First < 1025152519251975201520212022202320242025 202620272028202920352075212525253025 > Last »
Up