ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1933 of 3903
« First < 933143318331883192319291930193119321933 193419351936193719431983203324332933 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bearcat 10:17 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Those are all good points. However, we have to remember a couple of things. First, medicine does not know everything. Doctors get things wrong all of the time. Second, not all doctors agree.
Definitely... for the most part, I'd say scientists and doctors know they don't know everything (there are obviously the arrogant douchebags, just like in any other career).

Hell, I've been in IT for almost 20 years now and just a few weeks ago dug myself into quite the hole and ended up wasting a couple hours of my time and others' time believing I knew the problem, just for it to be the equivalent of "have you tried rebooting"..... confidence backed by years of experience can bite you in the ass sometimes, but having that confidence in the first place doesn't mean you don't know in the back of your head that you could be wrong... and it doesn't mean you're just an arrogant know-it-all scientist/doctor/IT geek.

The hurricane tracking analogy has been used a lot here... and maybe you study hurricanes for years and that bumps up your knowledge from completely guessing to your educated guess giving you a 10% higher chance of being right. And maybe you have the chance to learn a little from each time you track.

How many pandemics does someone get to learn from in a career in infectious diseases? Of course they're going to be wrong... a lot.

Tell Patrick Mahomes right after college that after all of his practice, college games etc; he can only go out and throw one pass per NFL season, but he needs to learn from that one pass/game, or otherwise he sucks and all that practice meant nothing. And a guy on the internet would think he could do better in the same situation.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:18 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Here is what one of the commanders of Taiwan's Infectious Disease Teams said in interview they are doing and really is what we should be doing.
Fuck that.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:22 AM 05-07-2020
This would be cool but I know many would freak out about this

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:26 AM 05-07-2020
I'll post a few pics of the parking lots of restaurants here in town on Sunday for the "nobody will leave their home" crowd.
[Reply]
Donger 10:33 AM 05-07-2020
Here's how the physIQ technology works: Each patient attaches an electronic sensor to their chest or wrist. The sensors measure vital signs in infected patients, and that data is continuously relayed back to physIQ, whose self-described "artificial intelligence systems" then identify changes in the body and likely indicators of infection.
I wonder how it transmits. Maybe it just collects the data and uploads it once the person gets inside Wi-Fi range. I doubt it's cellular.
[Reply]
KC Dan 10:38 AM 05-07-2020

Why not a red-white-blue star sewn on their clothes???
[Reply]
Pants 10:44 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Are numerous countries in Europe currently handling this pandemic better than the US? Without a doubt. Are certain countries handling this poorly? Yes. Is Europe a monolith? No.

The total population of Europe is also 2.5 times that of the US, which means even if you treated it as a monolith that more people are dying per capita here than there. They are also farther along in the history of their epidemic, as it reached critical capacity there before here.
Europe is country, dumbass. :-)
[Reply]
Pants 10:46 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by KC Dan:
Yes, this is exactly like the persecution the Jews faced in Nazi Germany.

Jesus fuck. Why are people so fucking dumb when it comes to this?
[Reply]
stumppy 10:49 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by KC Dan:
I'm sure you would get a choice of the star or a tattoo. :-)
[Reply]
Pants 10:52 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Moderna’s investigational vaccine for the novel coronavirus has been cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration to proceed to second phase of a study, the company said today in a press release.

The next phase of the trial is expected to begin shortly, it said.

The vaccine, mRNA-1273, was the first US vaccine to start clinical trials in the United States. Moderna said it is finalizing protocol for a phase 3 study, which is expected to begin in early summer.
Is phase 3 when Bill Gates shows up at the vaccine factory to personally sprinkle the nanochips into the batches?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:55 AM 05-07-2020

:-)
[Reply]
Mecca 10:57 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Yes, this is exactly like the persecution the Jews faced in Nazi Germany.

Jesus fuck. Why are people so fucking dumb when it comes to this?
Because we as a nation are incredibly stupid about just about everything.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:58 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Is phase 3 when Bill Gates shows up at the vaccine factory to personally sprinkle the nanochips into the batches?
And just when I was talking about stupid, I think you should go light up the 5g towers while you're at it.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:02 AM 05-07-2020
Let's hope new testing comes available or no NFL, NBA or any other sports except golf.

This is why we alot of us keep harping on testing because we want our sports back.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-of-testing/

Originally Posted by :
The NFL is now getting the word out regarding the link between optimism and testing, via the league office’s pipeline to the Washington Post.

“The NFL’s vision for a full season that begins on time — or close to it — could be bolstered by nationwide advances in the coming months in the availability of coronavirus tests, people in and around the league say,” Mark Maske of the Post writes. “Some say they can envision the season being played with strict protocols for the testing of players and coaches, with cautious policies guiding health practices for fans in stadiums and with teams and owners accepting competitive disparities resulting from varying state and local restrictions.”

The league previously had been tight-lipped about the anticipated proliferation of reliable and efficient diagnostic and antibody tests. The fact that this leak came within 24 hours of the schedule release should be regarded as a subtle reminder that the NFL does indeed know what it’s doing here, with a plan for all contingencies but an overriding confidence that contingencies won’t be needed.

As explained on Saturday, a 2020 NFL season would be prevented only if “the information gleaned from fighting and studying the coronavirus to date [is] proven dramatically incorrect by future behavior of the virus and the illness it causes in the people who are infected by it.”

[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:03 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Vietnam, etc.
Comparing these places to the US makes no sense. You are listing countries completely spread out both geographically and culturally from each other, even more than the US. Three of those are islands, and one is virtually an island with NK as a border. If we want to play that game the more isolated states here are also doing better than others.

For example Wyoming, Montana, Hawaii, and Alaska are all doing better than Iceland in deaths per capita. Not surprisingly isolated regions are doing better. That’s the only thing we can draw from the countries you listed.

Let’s try countries more similar both geographically and culturally to each other and the US. Germany, France, Italy, UK, and Spain together have about the same population as the US. Together they have 120k deaths to our 75k.

The only one with lower deaths per capita than the US is Germany with the rest being way more than what we have.

Your comparison would be like someone in Italy saying they should have done whatever Alaska, Montana, Hawaii, and Wyoming did.
[Reply]
Page 1933 of 3903
« First < 933143318331883192319291930193119321933 193419351936193719431983203324332933 > Last »
Up