ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 150 of 221
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:41 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Is Dave Lane still around? I haven't been to DC in a while and haven't seen him in the Lounge.
He posted in the national parks thread.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:42 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Death of a Star. Hubble telescope.

Is there a hires of that anywhere? That's awesome!
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:44 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
He posted in the national parks thread.

Hah.

Legitimately just read the last 120-ish posts in that one after posting this.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:04 AM 02-19-2016
Dave is around.Here's one of his.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:09 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Is there a hires of that anywhere? That's awesome!
Same star dying but a different pic
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/...hp?id=PIA03519

[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:39 AM 02-19-2016
Is Dave Lane still around? I haven't been to DC in a while and haven't seen him in the Lounge.
He is. Very active actually.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 10:40 PM 02-19-2016
I've been around but had to take some time off. Have two columns I write now, had a speech tonight at the Museum at Prairiefire, one last week at the Science Cafe, one next week at the KC Camera club, have a one hour special on my work next week on NPR / KCUR. Have two workshops for students this summer I'm having to prep and a NASA Image I'm working on.

But other than the fact that's not even what I do for a living, I got mad time on my hands :-)
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:02 AM 02-20-2016
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
I've been around but had to take some time off. Have two columns I write now, had a speech tonight at the Museum at Prairiefire, one last week at the Science Cafe, one next week at the KC Camera club, have a one hour special on my work next week on NPR / KCUR. Have two workshops for students this summer I'm having to prep and a NASA Image I'm working on.

But other than the fact that's not even what I do for a living, I got mad time on my hands :-)
Dude, when you gonna stop slacking off? :-)
[Reply]
Fish 10:09 AM 02-20-2016
Poor man's representation of a magnetic field:

[Reply]
Fish 08:17 PM 02-29-2016
Wow you guys.... watch this in 4K....

:-)

Astronomers Just Released A New, 187-Million-Pixel Map of the Milky Way

European Southern Observatory (ESO) has revealed the most comprehensive image of the Milky Way to mark the completion of the APEX Telescope Large Area Survey of the Galaxy (ATLASGAL). The recent achievement of the team gives us the most detailed view of the galaxy and is four times larger than any other image of galaxy. This image was captured by the Atacama Pathfinder Experiment telescope (APEX), located in Chile’s Atacama region on the Chajnantor Plateau, 5,100 meters above the sea level. The new ATLASGAL maps cover an area of sky 140 degrees long and 3 degrees wide.

http://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1606a/zoomable/

This survey is the first to capture the Galactic Plane, including most of the regions of star formation in the Milky Way Galaxy that allowed the scientists to visualize gas and dust clouds with temperatures just above absolute zero. Erin Blakemore says “Cooled to just a fraction above absolute zero, the camera detects tiny emissions from bands of dark gas and dust that can't be viewed by the naked eye."

The team used supersensitive instruments, The Large Bolometer Camera (LABOCA). It measures the incoming radiations by recording the tiny rise in temperature it causes on its detectors. ESO says that this instrument can detect emission from the cold dark dust bands concealing the stellar light.

Leonardo Testi from ATLASGAL, and the team memberof the European Project Scientist for the ALMA project explained “ATLASGAL has allowed us to have a new and transformational look at the dense interstellar medium of the Milky Way. The new release of the full survey opens up the possibility to mine this stunning dataset for new discoveries. Many teams of scientists are already using the ATLASGAL data to plan for detailed ALMA follow-up."

This ATLASGAL’s break-through will allow the researchers to determine how our galaxy acts and what it's composed of. A more detailed analysis will expose more about our galactic past and where our Solar System might go in the future.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 10:16 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I haven't put nearly the time into this I ought to, but by cursory observation our problem to now hasn't been identifying phenomena. It's been isolating the phenomena from ambient noise and verify it is what we think it is.

Think taking a concert recording and trying to isolate a single voice in the crowd. Well now we've identified and isolated a voice and it appears that it is saying what we expected it to say. Now we apply these methods to the whole back catalog of concert recordings.
Bravo.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 10:27 PM 02-29-2016
I hate mother****ers in the Southern Hemisphere they have sooooooo many more items to shoot. I couldn't even recognize one object in the video. :-)

I thought I took a pretty good image of my farm.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:36 PM 02-29-2016
It's beautiful. God does some pretty darn good work...

Originally Posted by Fish:
Wow you guys.... watch this in 4K....

Astronomers Just Released A New, 187-Million-Pixel Map of the Milky Way

European Southern Observatory (ESO) has revealed the most comprehensive image of the Milky Way to mark the completion of the APEX Telescope Large Area Survey of the Galaxy (ATLASGAL). The recent achievement of the team gives us the most detailed view of the galaxy and is four times larger than any other image of galaxy. This image was captured by the Atacama Pathfinder Experiment telescope (APEX), located in Chile’s Atacama region on the Chajnantor Plateau, 5,100 meters above the sea level. The new ATLASGAL maps cover an area of sky 140 degrees long and 3 degrees wide.

http://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1606a/zoomable/

This survey is the first to capture the Galactic Plane, including most of the regions of star formation in the Milky Way Galaxy that allowed the scientists to visualize gas and dust clouds with temperatures just above absolute zero. Erin Blakemore says “Cooled to just a fraction above absolute zero, the camera detects tiny emissions from bands of dark gas and dust that can't be viewed by the naked eye."

The team used supersensitive instruments, The Large Bolometer Camera (LABOCA). It measures the incoming radiations by recording the tiny rise in temperature it causes on its detectors. ESO says that this instrument can detect emission from the cold dark dust bands concealing the stellar light.

Leonardo Testi from ATLASGAL, and the team memberof the European Project Scientist for the ALMA project explained “ATLASGAL has allowed us to have a new and transformational look at the dense interstellar medium of the Milky Way. The new release of the full survey opens up the possibility to mine this stunning dataset for new discoveries. Many teams of scientists are already using the ATLASGAL data to plan for detailed ALMA follow-up."

This ATLASGAL’s break-through will allow the researchers to determine how our galaxy acts and what it's composed of. A more detailed analysis will expose more about our galactic past and where our Solar System might go in the future.

[Reply]
Holladay 01:25 PM 03-01-2016
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:49 PM 03-01-2016
Originally Posted by Fish:
Poor man's representation of a magnetic field:

That is awesome.
[Reply]
Page 150 of 221
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200 > Last »
Up