ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 47 of 207
« First < 374344454647 484950515797147 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:10 PM 03-09-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Nice resolutions! lol

Do you every drink bourbon neat? It's an acquired taste, kinda like why I still probably don't like IPAs....not enough experience.
I splash with water. And I agree, I haven't spent enough time with bourbon to truly acquire the taste. I'd like to, but I only have so many calories and dollars to give and I like beer too much.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:38 PM 03-09-2017
Oh shit, it's bottle kill Thursday here.

I'll probably go pick up another Buffalo Trace at my local grocery store tomorrow.

Cheers!

You can have all the BT. Too much licorice.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:40 PM 03-09-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I splash with water. And I agree, I haven't spent enough time with bourbon to truly acquire the taste. I'd like to, but I only have so many calories and dollars to give and I like beer too much.
Neat is the only way to drink it. Chase it with a nice cold Fiji or Icelandic if you need to.
[Reply]
bowener 02:03 PM 03-10-2017
I got to meet with the rep for Tom's Town Distillery the other day, and try their vodka, gin, and bourbon. They were all three unique and quite delicious. Vodka had some body to it, which was nice. I'm not a big vodka guy, but this was pleasant and would be great on the rocks.

I am a hater on gin for the most part, but their's isn't a london dry style. It is sweeter and less juniper. Not good a dirty martini, but it would make a great Aviation, Last Word, French 75, and maybe even a negroni (I hate campari).

Their bourbon was good. It is a 25% rye blend, so it sort of has that "spiciness". I like using rittenhouse for my sazeracs (or templeton rye if I want a milder one), so I probably wouldn't enjoy theirs in that particular drink. It was quite smooth though, and would be a good after dinner drink (neat/rocks).

I am not their rep or own any part of their company, but I was really impressed with their product and love that they are local. Prices were very reasonable, and apparently they have tours of their distillery (17th and Main). Their style is awesome too. Prohibition era labels based on Pendergrast. They even bought the rights to his original design to stick on their bourbon bottle.

Here is their site.
[Reply]
KCTitus 04:21 PM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Neat is the only way to drink it. Chase it with a nice cold Fiji or Icelandic if you need to.
Ive always liked a big cube of ice...something that slowly melts and chills the bourbon. Ive been told it tends to open it up more, where Scotch is best drank neat. I still like a couple of cubes in my scotch too...

I have done them neat, but I prefer them with an ice cube.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:57 PM 03-10-2017
You can have all the BT. Too much licorice.
I agree. As I try more and more bourbons, it's falling quickly down the list. I'd take Bulleit bourbon, Elijah Craig and and Russell's Reserve over it around the same price point.

Don't be that guy. It sometimes help to cut with water if you're new to bourbon. Also, high ABV bourbons can actually open up more with a bit of water. I don't do it much but I will at times if the finish is a bit "off."

Originally Posted by KCTitus:
Ive always liked a big cube of ice...something that slowly melts and chills the bourbon. Ive been told it tends to open it up more, where Scotch is best drank neat. I still like a couple of cubes in my scotch too...

I have done them neat, but I prefer them with an ice cube.
Depends on the bourbon. Even just a few minutes sitting in ice, significantly changes the taste for me. On many bourbons it ruins the finish IMO and decreases the mouth feel.

But drink the damn bourbon how you like, that's how I see it.
[Reply]
penguinz 07:45 PM 03-10-2017
I agree. As I try more and more bourbons, it's falling quickly down the list. I'd take Bulleit bourbon, Elijah Craig and and Russell's Reserve over it around the same price point.
I love Bulleit. I will take WT 101 over BT any day.

Originally Posted by :
Don't be that guy. It sometimes help to cut with water if you're new to bourbon. Also, high ABV bourbons can actually open up more with a bit of water. I don't do it much but I will at times if the finish is a bit "off."
I find it ruins it. Water afterwards to clean or take the sting away if needed. Even Stagg Jr at almost 140 is better to me neat.

Originally Posted by :
Depends on the bourbon. Even just a few minutes sitting in ice, significantly changes the taste for me. On many bourbons it ruins the finish IMO and decreases the mouth feel.

But drink the damn bourbon how you like, that's how I see it.
:-)
[Reply]
arrwheader 07:49 PM 03-10-2017
Long time lurker, first time poster. Makers and water. Can't go wrong.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:53 PM 03-10-2017
I love Bulleit. I will take WT 101 over BT any day.

I find it ruins it. Water afterwards to clean or take the sting away if needed. Even Stagg Jr at almost 140 is better to me neat.

:-)
You had the Bulleit 10 year? I really love that stuff. But even their standard bourbon is good and their Bulleit rye is affordable and great for cocktails.

And I agree personally with you and even the high proof I'll keep neat myself, but I can see how some like to cut it. I'll cut some of my "shitty" bourbon by placing it on the rocks on a hot day though. Sometimes down here in the desert, it's not always enticing to drink a neat bourbon when it's 100+ degrees.

Stagg Jr is fucking hard to find here. It's crazy.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:55 PM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by arrwheader:
Long time lurker, first time poster. Makers and water. Can't go wrong.
Some people really love Maker's and it's usually because they haven't tried many other bourbons. Then again, some people swear it has one of the best tastes on the market regardless.

I myself am not a fan of Maker's. It's not aged long enough to develop more complex flavors, IMO. Is Maker's 46 worth checking out though?
[Reply]
penguinz 08:13 PM 03-10-2017
You had the Bulleit 10 year? I really love that stuff. But even their standard bourbon is good and their Bulleit rye is affordable and great for cocktails.

And I agree personally with you and even the high proof I'll keep neat myself, but I can see how some like to cut it. I'll cut some of my "shitty" bourbon by placing it on the rocks on a hot day though. Sometimes down here in the desert, it's not always enticing to drink a neat bourbon when it's 100+ degrees.

Stagg Jr is ****ing hard to find here. It's crazy.
All of the Bulleits are great.

I use a stone on occasion to chill it but I don't like adding ice ever.

Stagg Jr Hard to find here as well. Usually see it when I don't have a spare $50 bill in wallet.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:14 PM 03-10-2017
Some people really love Maker's and it's usually because they haven't tried many other bourbons. Then again, some people swear it has one of the best tastes on the market regardless.

I myself am not a fan of Maker's. It's not aged long enough to develop more complex flavors, IMO. Is Maker's 46 worth checking out though?
Not a fan either. Don't like most wheated bourbons.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 11:14 AM 03-11-2017
I drink whiskey neat 95% of the time, even in the summer. I never do ice, but I think my reluctance is that I don't like whiskey cold. I will occasionally do a splash of water with some cask strength stuff to open it up. I think adding water is a case-by-case basis. Some whiskeys open up and give you some different notes, others don't.
[Reply]
KCTitus 10:34 PM 03-11-2017
My ice maker broke, so it's Eagle Rare neat tonight...cant say that I'm disappointed without ice.

[Reply]
dlphg9 11:32 PM 03-11-2017
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
My ice maker broke, so it's Eagle Rare neat tonight...cant say that I'm disappointed without ice.

I just really don't like Eagle Rare
[Reply]
Page 47 of 207
« First < 374344454647 484950515797147 > Last »
Up