ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1680 of 3903
« First < 680118015801630167016761677167816791680 168116821683168416901730178021802680 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 08:54 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Let me ask this though, how else do our bodies develop an immunity to things without coming in contact with them? I think what him and other doctors are saying is what we need to be concerned about. Yes, we have flattened the curve but if you don't start getting out and building immunity you are going to get a huge spike later down the road.
Not every ones immune systems works the same way , the immune system doesn't do very well vs bacteria, would you expose yourself to Ebola to boost your immune system?

Fighting a virus like COVID-19 puts you at risk to getting things like bacterial pneumonia or inflammatory changes that can causes long term damage to organs or damage your lungs some of those are not worth the risk of building up your immune system.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:55 AM 04-28-2020
Let me ask this though, how else do our bodies develop an immunity to things without coming in contact with them? I think what him and other doctors are saying is what we need to be concerned about. Yes, we have flattened the curve but if you don't start getting out and building immunity you are going to get a huge spike later down the road.
Not saying that this is my preferred approach, but the answer to your question is that we hunker down and wait for a vaccine. If the goal is to save lives no matter the cost, that's the right decision. If your goal is to save the economy at some level but let people die, it's obviously more nuanced.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:58 AM 04-28-2020
You'll only get a huge spike if you completely open things up and disregard distancing and hygiene recommendations.

You don't need enough people to get it to develop herd immunity (which lasts 1-2 years with every other known coronavirus in humans), you need to establish practices that reduce the effective R to the point where the virus doesn't spread easily.

If the R0 is 3 without any measures in place, you'd need 2/3 of the population to get the virus. If you have a system in place of mask wearing and hand washing and you can reduce the R to less than one, the virus dies out. If you can only reduce it to 1.5, then you only need 1/3 of the population to get the virus. That's a difference of 110 million infections even with an Re of 1.5. With an IFR of only 0.2 (and it's likely higher than that by a fair number), that's 220,000 fewer deaths.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:58 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
We are getting tons of info and tons of different opinions from all over the place , a lot of medical experts might disagree on many forms of treatments and might all end up with the same results. It is hard in situations like these to know if what we did was the right strategy, his strategy might be better it might not, If only this was like Counterpart with an alternate world we could use as a placebo group but unfortunately it is not.

Experts will continue to disagree on this for many years but just because they match up with out own opinions doesn't mean it is the right answer.
I am mainly referring to his risk mitigation strategy which is something Ive been wanting for some time. Keep the high risk people protected the best we can and turn the others loose.

There needs to he a happy medium. I think most sensible people that see the big picture agree with that.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:59 AM 04-28-2020
I don't want to boost my immunity to cold sores by getting genital herpes.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:59 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I am mainly referring to his risk mitigation strategy which is something Ive been wanting for some time. Keep the high risk people protected the best we can and turn the others loose.
That's not what he's saying, either. He was critical of Sweden's approach, which itself is still more limited than "turning the others loose."
[Reply]
petegz28 09:01 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not saying that this is my preferred approach, but the answer to your question is that we hunker down and wait for a vaccine. If the goal is to save lives no matter the cost, that's the right decision. If your goal is to save the economy at some level but let people die, it's obviously more nuanced.
What if we never get a vaccine? I mean I know you are just drawing a straw man for argument sake but also to be more accurate, it's not the goal to necessarily save the economy but to let nature do its thing as well.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:02 AM 04-28-2020
I have no issues with that the problem is we need to lock up stupid people as well because if we have to rely on the average person to not put at risk people in jeopardy it usually doesn't end well.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:02 AM 04-28-2020
I don't want to boost my immunity to cold sores by getting genital herpes.
PUSSY!!! :-)
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:03 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's not what he's saying, either. He was critical of Sweden's approach, which itself is still more limited than "turning the others loose."
He isnt saying shut it down either.

I like his quote about you arent stopping deaths just changing the dates. You can nitpick that a bit but in general he is correct given most places arent even close to over burdening the health care facilities.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:04 AM 04-28-2020
What if we never get a vaccine? I mean I know you are just drawing a straw man for argument sake but also to be more accurate, it's not the goal to necessarily save the economy but to let nature do its thing as well.
In the end we might not get an vaccine or herd immunity and dying from this will become part of life and we move on as normal but I don't think that should be Plan A.
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:05 AM 04-28-2020
We don't just "let people die" under any circumstances. But if we're being reasonable, we have to understand we can't save everyone. That's not even happening with the lockdown.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:05 AM 04-28-2020
I just don't feel "hunkering down" is a viable long term option. There has to be a middle ground at some point, not just for the economy but for our psyches as well. I'm certainly not calling for everything to be wide open tomorrow, but what we're doing now can't go on like this for 18-24 months.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:06 AM 04-28-2020
In the end we might not get an vaccine or herd immunity and dying from this will become part of life and we move on as normal but I don't think that should be Plan A.
Man you are such a chicken shit!!!!

I keed, I keed

I am not saying go full boar on re-opening and I think most people are not. But we have to move forward. Life is still happening.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:08 AM 04-28-2020
He isnt saying shut it down either.

I like his quote about you arent stopping deaths just changing the dates. You can nitpick that a bit but in general he is correct given most places arent even close to over burdening the health care facilities.
We shut down our district before we had 1 cases within 100km from us or any community acquired cases. we have 16 total 14 recovered , no deaths and no new cases in over 5 days, was it luck? having measures in place before infestation? we are awesome and better than everybody else? the disease is not as bad as people expected?

My vote is having measures in place early but some might disagree.
[Reply]
Page 1680 of 3903
« First < 680118015801630167016761677167816791680 168116821683168416901730178021802680 > Last »
Up