ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 45 of 104
« First < 354142434445 464748495595 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy Reid appreciation thread
Hammock Parties 10:51 PM 10-01-2018
The guy could easily have tried to pump his superstar QB by throwing on the goal line at the end of the game.

He did the smart thing and pounded it three times for the fucking win.

Word to your mother, Pete Carroll.

Oh, and he has mind control over the AFC West. 18-1 in his last 19.
[Reply]
Frosty 11:44 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
It was sickening to see all of the dorks calling for Andy's head in the first quarter when:
Kelce drops a wide open first down.
Robinson drops a wide open first down.
Hill muffs a punt within his own 10 yard line.
Fisher false starts.
Robinson drops another big pass.
A blocked punt.

PLAYERS PLAY THE GAME.
Well, since Reid is the HC and it's job to ready the players, clearly he should have told the guys to be sure to catch the ball when thrown to them, especially on third down, to not to muff punts and that they really needed to block for the punter.

:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:47 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Andy has been remarkable in the 2nd half of the season and yesterday as well...

Never hated the guy but was an outspoken critic and I'm definitely readying the crow to eat.

I hope he does, I really want to see him win a Super Bowl.

Yesterday was the day it hit me just how lucky we have it...I get it now, I was foolish before.
I took my hands off the wheel a bit sometime in 2015 when I realized that, upset with a decision or not, I trust these guys. Granted, I'm critical by nature so I still get irritated with shit, but in my heart of hearts I know I'm just being angry and this too, shall pass.

Are they always going to make the decision I'd have made? Nope, but that's not a reasonable expectation as a sports fan. You just want intelligent people making informed decisions for the right reasons.

For the last 5 years I have rarely doubted that we had all 3 of those ingredients (with some concern over Veach's tunnel-vision as my last real sticking point). Reid is absolutely a smart man who is incredibly prepared and is making the decisions he's making with the singular purpose of winning a championship.

Once I came to trust in all that, it made being a Chiefs fans slightly less torturous.

This is a good organization and it may well be a great one. Remember that the greatest HC of all time and arguably the greatest QB of all time - in an era of unparalleled prosperity - still only went to the SB about half the time. When the absolute best that has ever been done is to win your conference about half the time you try it (and nobody else has ever come even close to that), it's really important that we recognize how difficult it is to even get THIS far.

Reid's an amazing coach and in 2 years with a championship caliber QB at the helm he's had us in 2 CCGs.

Yeah - we've got it pretty good fellas. Enjoy this and try not to be the miserable cunt who wonders why we aren't taking the ball out of Patrick Mahomes hands 25-30 times/gm.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:49 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
Well, since Reid is the HC and it's job to ready the players, clearly he should have told the guys to be sure to catch the ball when thrown to them, especially on third down, to not to muff punts and that they really needed to block for the punter.

:-)
If you'll recall, this same group of people WERE yelling at Reid when his long-snapper vapor locked twice in the last Titans game.

Because evidently it's Reid's fault for not telling his guys to listen in the huddle or something.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 11:50 AM 01-13-2020
Im in love with the fat man..
[Reply]
RunKC 11:53 AM 01-13-2020
I would just like to take the time to acknowledge that despite taking the lead, we did not take our foot off the gas yesterday.

Goddamn was that sexy
[Reply]
O.city 11:55 AM 01-13-2020
It's just crazy how far we've come so quickly.

In 2012 we had the worst record in the league and a franchise teetering on Browns level shittyness.

Andy and company show up and we're about to host our 2nd straight AFC championship game at Arrowhead, have the best QB in the league (who is legit on a HOF track to start his career), completely dominate our division, and have a franchise everyone points to for stability.

I understand they don't have a SB win. It sucks for us as fans, for the team, for Andy, for everyone. I get it.

But shit man, it's impressive.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:04 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If you'll recall, this same group of people WERE yelling at Reid when his long-snapper vapor locked twice in the last Titans game.

Because evidently it's Reid's fault for not telling his guys to listen in the huddle or something.
Speaking of long snappers, it's definitely time for a new one. Besides the Titans game, he also vapor locked in NE by botching the fake punt that lead to the blocked punt and then yesterday, caused the missed XP with an errant snap that Colquitt had to stand up to catch, throwing off the timing.
[Reply]
Jerm 12:04 PM 01-13-2020
I took my hands off the wheel a bit sometime in 2015 when I realized that, upset with a decision or not, I trust these guys. Granted, I'm critical by nature so I still get irritated with shit, but in my heart of hearts I know I'm just being angry and this too, shall pass.

Are they always going to make the decision I'd have made? Nope, but that's not a reasonable expectation as a sports fan. You just want intelligent people making informed decisions for the right reasons.

For the last 5 years I have rarely doubted that we had all 3 of those ingredients (with some concern over Veach's tunnel-vision as my last real sticking point). Reid is absolutely a smart man who is incredibly prepared and is making the decisions he's making with the singular purpose of winning a championship.

Once I came to trust in all that, it made being a Chiefs fans slightly less torturous.

This is a good organization and it may well be a great one. Remember that the greatest HC of all time and arguably the greatest QB of all time - in an era of unparalleled prosperity - still only went to the SB about half the time. When the absolute best that has ever been done is to win your conference about half the time you try it (and nobody else has ever come even close to that), it's really important that we recognize how difficult it is to even get THIS far.

Reid's an amazing coach and in 2 years with a championship caliber QB at the helm he's had us in 2 CCGs.

Yeah - we've got it pretty good fellas. Enjoy this and try not to be the miserable cunt who wonders why we aren't taking the ball out of Patrick Mahomes hands 25-30 times/gm.
Great post, totally agree.

Actually feel like a pretty big asshole for doubting him or being negative towards him.

I really want to win the SB for him above all us TBH....
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 12:07 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1...houston-texans
I know this article was mentioned in its own thread, but I think it makes more sense in this thread's discussion. This article details the exact flaw that I am most concerned with. It's not that Andy just goofs on the clock sometimes, or what we have been calling "clock management." It's that he has a philosophy where he ****s up the clock ON PURPOSE.

The article mentions how Reid uses his timeouts like in basketball to calm down everyone and he takes a slower pace to make sure they get the play right, but football is not basketball and this is a stupid strategy that has backfired again and again. Football is not continous play like basketball - there are breaks between plays. Football coaches shouldn't have to call timeouts to "calm" players or get the right play called.

Also, his slower pace and timeouts give the D a chance to calm down and reset as well at a time when the offense could be dictating the pace and tiring the D out and using the time to its advantage in some cases. But Andy is so stubborn and he thinks he's such a great playcaller that he can just call a better play than the D and that this will outweigh any time advantage. This is why we lost that chargers game last year that's mentioned in the article as one example of how this approach backfires a lot.

What the best coaches do is that they practice and plan for these situations ahead of time so that when the situation comes up, they can just call a play and expect the players to be professional and execute it without needing their poor little nerves calmed down. Good teams do this all the time, but reid is so stubborn he sticks with this misguided philosophy of sacrificing timeouts and taking too long.

Before people slam me for criticizing reid after a nice win, just remember that I said that I think we will still win the bowl despite this flaw and i still think andy is a great coach. If we keep scoring like yesterday, then clock management won't even come into play. But this flaw in reid's game management is still lurking. I just hope it doesn't bite his ass again.

By the way, I'm not blaming andy for the poor start yesterday. kelce, robinson, and tyreek should know they need to catch the ball in their hands.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:48 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
I know this article was mentioned in its own thread, but I think it makes more sense in this thread's discussion. This article details the exact flaw that I am most concerned with. It's not that Andy just goofs on the clock sometimes, or what we have been calling "clock management." It's that he has a philosophy where he ****s up the clock ON PURPOSE.

The article mentions how Reid uses his timeouts like in basketball to calm down everyone and he takes a slower pace to make sure they get the play right, but football is not basketball and this is a stupid strategy that has backfired again and again. Football is not continous play like basketball - there are breaks between plays. Football coaches shouldn't have to call timeouts to "calm" players or get the right play called.

Also, his slower pace and timeouts give the D a chance to calm down and reset as well at a time when the offense could be dictating the pace and tiring the D out and using the time to its advantage in some cases. But Andy is so stubborn and he thinks he's such a great playcaller that he can just call a better play than the D and that this will outweigh any time advantage. This is why we lost that chargers game last year that's mentioned in the article as one example of how this approach backfires a lot.

What the best coaches do is that they practice and plan for these situations ahead of time so that when the situation comes up, they can just call a play and expect the players to be professional and execute it without needing their poor little nerves calmed down. Good teams do this all the time, but reid is so stubborn he sticks with this misguided philosophy of sacrificing timeouts and taking too long.

Before people slam me for criticizing reid after a nice win, just remember that I said that I think we will still win the bowl despite this flaw and i still think andy is a great coach. If we keep scoring like yesterday, then clock management won't even come into play. But this flaw in reid's game management is still lurking. I just hope it doesn't bite his ass again.

By the way, I'm not blaming andy for the poor start yesterday. kelce, robinson, and tyreek should know they need to catch the ball in their hands.
Stupid.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:39 PM 01-13-2020
Speaking of long snappers, it's definitely time for a new one. Besides the Titans game, he also vapor locked in NE by botching the fake punt that lead to the blocked punt and then yesterday, caused the missed XP with an errant snap that Colquitt had to stand up to catch, throwing off the timing.
I'd need to watch the blocked punt again, but it also seemed to me like Colquitt was really slow getting it off. Someone behind me said he struggled to catch it. I didn't notice a snap issue in real time so I wondered if it was the cold or something.

I just couldn't believe how long it took Colquitt to unload the ball.
[Reply]
Frosty 03:47 PM 01-13-2020
I'd need to watch the blocked punt again, but it also seemed to me like Colquitt was really slow getting it off. Someone behind me said he struggled to catch it. I didn't notice a snap issue in real time so I wondered if it was the cold or something.

I just couldn't believe how long it took Colquitt to unload the ball.
Are you talking about yesterday? I'm not sure that one was on Winchester. It looked like the blocker just got overwhelmed in that one. I was talking about the blocked punt in the Pats game. It was supposed to be a fake punt to Lucas (you can even see him look over and raise his hand in a "WTF?" gesture towards Winchester) but he botched it and snapped to Colquitt instead, catching everyone by surprise.

Yesterday, Winchester had some iffy snaps on the extra points, including the one that was missed.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:47 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
Grunhard says it a lot and it's one of the most insightful things I've heard from a talking head.

The most valuable commodity in football is reps. And with limited practice time, there is only so much 'groundwork' you can do in-season when you're also trying to do weekly installs against a different opponent each week.

This idea that a football coach should just have his team prepared for any eventuality ignore that basic underlying premise - you just can't. There's simply not enough time. There aren't enough reps. Sometimes you simply cannot practice a particular scenario and when it surfaces, someone's gotta man the rudder.

My good friend resigned his commission as a Major and he said the one thing he always took away from the Army was that when everything is going to shit, the guy that survives and thrives is the guy that takes that extra moment to pause, get his wits about him and then act while everyone else is losing their minds.

Reid's willingness when shit is going sideways on him to take a moment, keep his head, call that time-out and get everyone on the same page is a feature, not a bug. That's someone with a clear enough head to realize that right now his guys simply need a bit of a soft re-set to back away from the putt, line it back up and give it a go. He can't ask his players to do that because in that moment just have too much stuff they need to worry about. But from the sideline, he can. He can recognize that they need that re-set. That willingness to act as a true general when he knows that he can't just leave it up to his guys to steady themselves is a sign of a GOOD coach, not a flaw.

You're looking so hard for reasons to be contrarian with Reid that you're coming up with stuff that simply doesn't make sense.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:51 PM 01-13-2020
Are you talking about yesterday? I'm not sure that one was on Winchester. It looked like the blocker just got overwhelmed in that one. I was talking about the blocked punt in the Pats game. It was supposed to be a fake punt to Lucas (you can even see him look over and raise his hand in a "WTF?" gesture towards Winchester) but he botched it and snapped to Colquitt instead, catching everyone by surprise.

Yesterday, Winchester had some iffy snaps on the extra points, including the one that was missed.
Yeah, I was talking about yesterday.

The Pats game I agree - he missed the fake. But when the guy behind me yesterday mentioned that Colquitt may have mishandled the snap, I immediately got to thinking about the issues Winchester has had.

Like I said - I could easily be wrong. That's not exactly something they were showing on the Jumbotron. It just felt like Colquitt was slow to get it off and that's odd for a guy that's been around as long as he has.
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 05:29 PM 01-13-2020
Grunhard says it a lot and it's one of the most insightful things I've heard from a talking head.

The most valuable commodity in football is reps. And with limited practice time, there is only so much 'groundwork' you can do in-season when you're also trying to do weekly installs against a different opponent each week.

This idea that a football coach should just have his team prepared for any eventuality ignore that basic underlying premise - you just can't. There's simply not enough time. There aren't enough reps. Sometimes you simply cannot practice a particular scenario and when it surfaces, someone's gotta man the rudder.

My good friend resigned his commission as a Major and he said the one thing he always took away from the Army was that when everything is going to shit, the guy that survives and thrives is the guy that takes that extra moment to pause, get his wits about him and then act while everyone else is losing their minds.

Reid's willingness when shit is going sideways on him to take a moment, keep his head, call that time-out and get everyone on the same page is a feature, not a bug. That's someone with a clear enough head to realize that right now his guys simply need a bit of a soft re-set to back away from the putt, line it back up and give it a go. He can't ask his players to do that because in that moment just have too much stuff they need to worry about. But from the sideline, he can. He can recognize that they need that re-set. That willingness to act as a true general when he knows that he can't just leave it up to his guys to steady themselves is a sign of a GOOD coach, not a flaw.

You're looking so hard for reasons to be contrarian with Reid that you're coming up with stuff that simply doesn't make sense.
First, thank you for your intelligent reply as opposed to Mega's very insightful "stupid" comment.

Second, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether this philosophy of Andy's is a feature or bug. There are certain situations where you need to be both smart and quick at the same time, and if you fail to do one or the other, then you lose. If Andy cannot get effective plays in quickly enough, especially when I've witnessed other coaches be able to do it (Belichick has used an array of speeds from slow to quick no-huddle to his advantage many times), then to me that's a flaw compared to other great coaches. Calling an effective play and getting a play off quickly are not two mutually exclusive things. This is what andy fails to realize and what other great coaches have been able to do successfully.

Wouldn't you agree that it gives your team an advantage if you can get effective plays called in and do it quickly at the same time? I'm not saying it's easy to do, otherwise belichick and other great coaches wouldn't be so special, but it certainly can be done and has been by other great coaches.

When you have the ball on offense, you can dictate the pace and manipulate the clock to your advantage. Andy basically forfeits this important tool every game with his backwards philosophy. For example, the chargers loss last year where he could have ran more clock and left the chargers with less time to come back. However, Andy, either because his plays are too complicated and he needed a stop to figure things out or because his players needed to "calm down", had to stop the clock to get the right play in.

I'm not looking to be contrarian on Reid. I've witnessed his philosophy bite him in the ass numerous times over 2 decades. Like I said, I think we can win a super bowl despite it, but historically, he has not had good luck in finishing a season with a super bowl with his philosophy. The history seems to be on my side in this debate and I think common sense is as well. There are always exceptions where things change so I'm hoping this year is one of those times.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 104
« First < 354142434445 464748495595 > Last »
Up