ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mellinger: Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps
siberian khatru 02:07 PM 01-18-2018
Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps: a self-help guide for a chronically underachieving franchise

Originally Posted by :
5. Add talent. Pretty basic, right? Sign good players, duh. But this will be Veach’s first real test in the new job. Whether through the draft or free agency, Veach should target, in order: cornerback, edge rush, defensive line, safety, backup quarterback, interior offensive line, middle linebacker and tight end. ...

Chance of adding enough: 60 percent, but this completely depends on your trust in Veach.
Originally Posted by :
4. Cuts and salary-cap management. The Chiefs can potentially save more than $20 million in cap space by cutting Hali ($8 million) and cutting or reworking deals with linebacker Derrick Johnson ($8 million in potential savings) and defensive lineman Allen Bailey ($6 million in potential savings). ...

Chance the Chiefs will clear adequate cap space: 90 percent.
Originally Posted by :
3. Replace Bob Sutton with a more creative and innovative defensive coordinator. The Chiefs ranked 28th in total defense, and dead last in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, this season. This is unacceptable.

They could not develop even an average pass rush despite getting a full season from Houston and having enough talent along the defensive line. You saw this with the naked eye, but the data is even more damning: according to Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs were 27th or worse in sack percentage, quarterback pressure percentage and time required to create pressure. ...

Sutton was conservative to the point of counter-production: no team ran fewer stunts on pass plays, and the Chiefs tied for the fifth-lowest blitz rate, according to PFF. ...

Chance of this actually happening — of Sutton being replaced: 40 percent.
Originally Posted by :
2. Trade Alex Smith. This should be the second-easiest roster decision of the offseason (after cutting Hali), and the most important: without it, the Chiefs are stuck, or worse. ...

Chance of Smith being traded: 95 percent.
Originally Posted by :
1. Andy Reid needs to evolve. Some of this is tied into whether Sutton indeed keeps his job, because Reid is famously loyal to his assistants. But this goes beyond tough decisions on assistants.

This is going to require Reid to get uncomfortable. ...

Chance of significantly happening: 50 percent, a tug of war between Reid’s stubborness and self-awareness.

[Reply]
ptlyon 09:00 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by tyton75:
I think it would be easier for him to fire Sutton if he was sure the new DC wouldn't fire his son as DL coach.
BAM
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 09:09 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by loochy:
I know, right? Kareem Hunt and Marcus Peters and Eric Fisher and Eric Berry and Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill and Nunez Roches and DAT and Duvernay Tardif and Travis Kelce amd Dontari Poe and Justin Houston NEVER saw significant game time.

Chris Jones didn't start right away, neither did Kelce as he was on IR his first year. Kareem Hunt only started due to Ware's injury. Nunez Roches barely plays now.

So you have 5 draft picks get quality playing time out of, AT LEAST 40 picks in the last 5 years. Really, only number 1 picks start right away here. Your argument blows!
[Reply]
Rausch 09:10 AM 01-19-2018
What is the point of running an aggressive and attacking defense if you call a conservative game and almost never (blitz) attack?
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:31 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Has he commented at all since the day after the playoff loss? I remember that day he said it was too early to comment or make any decisions.
He made the statement you refer to and thats been it

My opinion is just based on his time in Philly, he endured relentless pressure over a number of decisions, and I cant recall a time where he changed his tune in any kind of timely manner

Honestly, no head coach ever should make their decisions based on fan sentiment, I understand that... but this thing with Sutton has me as pissed off with Reid as I've ever been

Its hard to believe that Andy hasnt seen enough to pull the trigger here
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:36 AM 01-19-2018
#1 and #3 will never happen because Clark Hunt won't hold Andy Reid accountable for another historic playoff choke job and demand needed changes to his coaching staff.

2 of the 3 non-Chiefs teams that lost on Wild Card weekend have replaced key members of their coaching staffs.

The team that beat the Chiefs in the playoffs has "parted ways" with their HC.

Teams who have won Super Bowls in the recent past have made major changes to their coaching staffs during the past few weeks.

And yet Andy Reid refuses to fire a single coach from his coaching staff and Clark refuses to force Reid to make changes to a coaching staff that has been a part of two historic playoff choke jobs during the past 5 years.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:46 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak:
The thing about draft picks in Kansas City is ........most sit for a year or two before getting any playing time.

It's useless to say draft a CB, ILB, etc...........because they won't play for a couple years.
Which say's volumes about our lack of real talented impact players and depth because of our crappy drafting. The only impact players I see since Dorsey was Jones,Peters and Hill.

Jones still disappears too much for me - needs to be far more consistent and disciplined in effort. Work ethic needs to improve significantly IMHO.

Peters still an immature hothead. Not holding my breath because he 'divas up' at the worst time and after 3 yrs his attitude is getting worse rather than growing up.

Hill still not utilized to the max on offense - this on Reid.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:52 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
#1 and #3 will never happen because Clark Hunt won't hold Andy Reid accountable for another historic playoff choke job and demand needed changes to his coaching staff.

2 of the 3 non-Chiefs teams that lost on Wild Card weekend have replaced key members of their coaching staffs.

Teams who have won Super Bowls in the recent past have made major changes to their coaching staffs during the past few weeks.

And yet Andy Reid refuses to fire a single coach from his coaching staff and Clark refuses to force Reid to make changes to a coaching staff that has been a part of two historic playoff choke jobs during the past 5 years.

Can’t get any clearer than this.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:54 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:

They fired the GM. That was the change.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:00 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:
What is the point of running an aggressive and attacking defense if you call a conservative game and almost never (blitz) attack?
I'm no fan of Sutton whatsoever, BUT even he realizes he has very little talent on defense and when Berry went down after the 1st game I imagine you could hear his massive huge sigh of quiet desperation now having to resort to the "bend but don't break" even more so. Even if Berry doesn't go down, Sutton realized his defensive roster changed very little from the year before as everyone gets older and very little evolution in the young talent(a la Ford).

If Kpass is worth his salt he should be starting in 18 but he won't IMHO or if he does I don't think he is that impactful. He should have been flashing as a rookie and he didn't even do that IMHO.

True Impact players make consistent flashes "at the very least" during their rookie year especially on defense. Ford never did, Jones did, Kpass never did. Hill definitely did. Peters definitely did but it comes with a price.:-)
[Reply]
Bob Dole 10:21 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
I'm not giving up on Sutton, last 2-3 years his top top 3 or 4 guys on Defense have been broken.

I say at least give him a year with Berry back and decent replacements for Hali and Johnson (or at least that money spent on defensive upgrade).
I gave up on Sutton the 10 time I watched him drop Houston into coverage on 3rd and long. In 2016.
[Reply]
KC Dan 10:49 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I gave up on Sutton the 10 time I watched him drop Houston into coverage on 3rd and long. In 2016.
Wisdom!
[Reply]
Bewbies 10:58 AM 01-19-2018
When you lose Ford, when you lose Jones, when you have no pass rush whatsoever the clear answer is to drop Houston into coverage.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 06:10 PM 01-19-2018
I always laugh when idiots on here act like J Houston not rushing the passer and going into coverage is always some huge mistake. Personally I think his pass rushing skills have taken a huge nosedive since his 22-sack season. Why? Idk but he is not the same guy to me.

J Houston has not been a consistently great pass rusher since his 22-sack season. He shows flashes here and there but that is about it. He was frequently blocked one-on-one this season and taken out of the play. If he did get a sack or some pressures he was simply chipped since we don't have another great pass rusher it is easy for other teams to do this.

Face it guys. Without another great edge rusher J Houston can be taken out of pass rushing situations easily by chipping him. Sending him into coverage isn't as big of a deal as people on here make it seem. I know in Madden always rushing J Houston is the smart thing to do but Sutton lives in the real world.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:26 PM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Which say's volumes about our lack of real talented impact players and depth because of our crappy drafting. The only impact players I see since Dorsey was Jones,Peters and Hill.

Jones still disappears too much for me - needs to be far more consistent and disciplined in effort. Work ethic needs to improve significantly IMHO.

Peters still an immature hothead. Not holding my breath because he 'divas up' at the worst time and after 3 yrs his attitude is getting worse rather than growing up.

Hill still not utilized to the max on offense - this on Reid.
Let's get real here, no teams hit on every pick. In a 5 year span the Chiefs completely redid the roster with mostly draft picks.

Most teams would sell their nuts to get guys like Hill and Hunt in back to back years.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 09:30 PM 01-19-2018
Right, geniuses...lets fire the coach who wins a bunch of games with a QB that everyone perceives as garbage + an O-line and D-line that get physically dominated by nearly every team they face.

Todd Haley or Herm would have won half as many games as Reid has with this group. Crenell a quarter. And guess what, odds are a lot greater that the replacement would be a lot closer to them than Bill Belichick.

Can't believe you fools want to show Reid the exit when he's about to install the best QB he's ever had. A guy who took less talent to several NFC championships and has posted a winning record in all but a couple seasons.

Or, I guess we could just make a knee-jerk reaction and fire his ass because a bunch of flukey shit happened vs the Colts and Titans.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up