ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Bill O'Brien is the worst GM ever.
Mecca 07:37 AM 09-11-2019

Sources: In the wake of last night’s loss, the #Texans are releasing veteran CB Aaron Colvin, just over a year into a 4-year, $34M contract. He gets his $7.5M for 2019, which was guaranteed.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 11, 2019

Every move this guy makes is dumb as fuck.
[Reply]
-King- 08:01 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I vaguely remember Breeland having some highlight clips similar to that out of Washington. Some dudes just really like seeing CBs hit people, I guess?
It made me miss Brandon Flowers. Even though flowers was good at coverage also.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:04 AM 09-11-2019
Fenton would almost certainly end up on the PS if he got cut so I don't really find this as a great risk.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:05 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Considering our CB position, he's probably worth a look on a cheap 1 year deal since he's getting nearly 8 mill from Houston already.
How bad does he have to be to not be better than Ward?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:06 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Vet minimum, and Colvin gets a chance to rehab his career on a hopefully ascending D with some potential fluidity in the secondary.
Depending on how his contract works, this really could be an ideal scenario for him.

Does his deal have offset language? I'm betting it does and that would be critical for the Chiefs. If the deal has standard offset language, then the Texans would be able to recapture any amount of his guaranteed salary that he is paid by his new team. In other words, there's no benefit to Colvin at all to seek the highest possible payday - it all goes back to Houston as 'mitigation' of his lost guaranteed money.

But some players, especially FAs, can avoid the offset language. If so, they can 'double dip' so to speak. Was he a sought after enough free agent to insist on removing the offset as part of his deal? No way to know.

But if he wasn't, the only thing that would matter for him is scheme fit, exposure and potential playing time. Well exposure and potential playing time would seem to be right in his wheelhouse here. And if Spags thinks he's a scheme fit, who am I to argue?

Could be a nice fit here.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:07 AM 09-11-2019
Depending on how his contract works, this really could be an ideal scenario for him.

Does his deal have offset language? I'm betting it does and that would be critical for the Chiefs. If the deal has standard offset language, then the Texans would be able to recapture any amount of his guaranteed salary that he is paid by his new team. In other words, there's no benefit to Colvin at all to seek the highest possible payday - it all goes back to Houston as 'mitigation' of his lost guaranteed money.

But some players, especially FAs, can avoid the offset language. If so, they can 'double dip' so to speak. Was he a sought after enough free agent to insist on removing the offset as part of his deal? No way to know.

But if he wasn't, the only thing that would matter for him is scheme fit, exposure and potential playing time. Well exposure and potential playing time would seem to be right in his wheelhouse here. And if Spags thinks he's a scheme fit, who am I to argue?

Totally agree. Makes a ton of sense to bring him in.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:10 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Yeah but that would probably kill the Howard and Peterson trade chances, as small as those chances may be.
Veach clearing cap space has to be for a trade deadline deal he knows he can make but the price is too high but if we are rolling, goes all in for a Super Bowl. I don't think it was to extend Jones.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:11 AM 09-11-2019

He agreed to a deal before FA even started so it's possible he got a lot of favorable things.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:13 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He agreed to a deal before FA even started so it's possible he got a lot of favorable things.
It's also possible that Houston just threw a lot of money at him and he took the biggest figure rather than haggle over the details. I seem to remember that being one of those 'Well that's odd' kind of contracts where it seemed an overpay from the jump.

Maybe the overpay was what turned his head rather than any of the minutiae.

Just real tough to know.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:16 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Is this guy better than Ward?

Here’s a better question:

Is Bill O’Brien dumb enough to trade for Ward?

Veach should definitely pursue that
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:18 AM 09-11-2019
Scott Pioli is worse than Bill O'Brien. Just saying.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:19 AM 09-11-2019
Imagine being excited about picking up the guy who was released and replaced by Phillip Gaines. Desperate times in Chiefs Kingdom.
[Reply]
Skyy God 08:20 AM 09-11-2019

I tend to doubt a 4/34 contract guy had much negotiating leverage, but we’ll see.
[Reply]
Skyy God 08:20 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Imagine being excited about picking up the guy who was released and replaced by Phillip Gaines. Desperate times in Chiefs Kingdom.
Get out.

This is a potential CB4 upgrade. Nothing earthshattering, but not unimportant.

Also, O’Brian is terribad.
[Reply]
O.city 08:24 AM 09-11-2019
Add him, then trade a 3rd for Peterson.

Problem solved.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:26 AM 09-11-2019
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
I tend to doubt a 4/34 contract guy had much negotiating leverage, but we’ll see.
18 million was guaranteed and he was pretty well thought of coming from Jacksonville. Not long ago he was thought of as a top flight slot defender and a very good special teamer.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up