ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Media Center>Anybody like rock and roll?
Merde Furieux 05:31 PM 09-05-2019

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 02:40 PM 08-14-2020

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 02:53 PM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Fates Warning reminds me of Fair Warning, not the music, but the name. I know you probably never heard of them. They were a disco band out of Miami who saw the writing on the wall in 1981, that disco was dying. They changed their name to Fates Warning, grew their hair and got a rock producer. The producer wrote the song She Don't Know Me, its the same song on Bon Jovi's first album and the only song Jon Bonjovi or a member of his band didn't write.

Fair Warning and Bon Jovi were both signed at the same time by Mercury Records. After both bands recorded a debut album, the label people looked at what they had, and decided Bon Jovi had more potential. They shelved the Fair Warning album and it was never released. The best song on the album they gave to Bon Jovi who recorded it and it was on their debut album. It became a hit after their first single Runaway. I prefer the FW version better, but they lacked the image that the label wanted.
Very cool story. 1980-1983 I was a "metal head" and the metal scene was oversaturated with shit bands. For example, Pantera were posers before they cashed in on Metallica's success, who I'm not sure were all that orignal to begin with, BUT they did have street cred, and their compositions were pretty good. My older brother bought alot of Heavy Metal albums back then and I'd thumb through them but there was just too many to actually give a listen to them all. Fates Warning was one I always skipped over. There was Venom, Mercyful Fate, Witchfinder General ad nauseum.

So about two years ago I went to see Raven in a NJ bar, and before they hit the stage they were playing music from back in the day. So while waiting for Raven to come on the stage, I see this guy singing along to a pretty good song and I asked him "who's this" and he says "Fates Warning".

I was happy for Savatage, who later became Christmas Metal extravaganza.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:14 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Merde Furieux:
Very cool story. 1980-1983 I was a "metal head" and the metal scene was oversaturated with shit bands. For example, Pantera were posers before they cashed in on Metallica's success, who I'm not sure were all that orignal to begin with, BUT they did have street cred, and their compositions were pretty good. My older brother bought alot of Heavy Metal albums back then and I'd thumb through them but there was just too many to actually give a listen to them all. Fates Warning was one I always skipped over. There was Venom, Mercyful Fate, Witchfinder General ad nauseum.

So about two years ago I went to see Raven in a NJ bar, and before they hit the stage they were playing music from back in the day. So while waiting for Raven to come on the stage, I see this guy singing along to a pretty good song and I asked him "who's this" and he says "Fates Warning".

I was happy for Savatage, who later became Christmas Metal extravaganza.
If you like Savatage, did you ever listen to the album Dr. Butcher? It was a '94 side project of Jon Oliva and Chris Caffery, I'm not sure if it came out here, I had the German import CD.

Right now I'm really getting into Rammstein. They have a catchy metal sound, sort of like Evanescence, not so much in that sound but crunchy guitar with a pop melody. Rammstein sells out stadiums in Europe and Russia, they are huge over there. The lead singer Till Lindemann, he doesn't really sing, grew up in East Germany behind the wall and his first album he bought was Alice Cooper Welcome to My Nightmare.

[Reply]
Bowser 11:10 AM 08-15-2020
Isn't Trans Siberian Orchestra comprised of the surviving members of Savatage?

And big Rammstein fan here. Love their heavy sound.

(song starts at 5:44, love the heavy riffs and how they're all instantly in to it)

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 12:27 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Isn't Trans Siberian Orchestra comprised of the surviving members of Savatage?

(song starts at 5:44, love the heavy riffs and how they're all instantly in to it)
Yes, I couldn’t think of the name.
I love Rammstein as well
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 05:39 PM 08-15-2020
Japan is killing it when it comes to rock music.

Band-Maid

Ningen Isu

Broken By The Scream

[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 11:46 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Merde Furieux:
Yes, I couldn’t think of the name.
I love Rammstein as well
I think i saw Rammstein way back on the Korn Family Values tour.It was probably a limited set they played,but it was quite unlike any performance i'd ever seen.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 03:36 PM 08-17-2020

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 01:56 PM 09-12-2020
A masterpiece that no one can corner a 4 note, generic sequence found in many songs and declare "he stole that from me!"

[Reply]
htismaqe 02:08 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Japan is killing it when it comes to rock music.
NINGEN ISU is fucking AWESOME. :-)

[Reply]
htismaqe 02:09 PM 09-12-2020
I've been listening a lot of UFO lately. I recently bought a new 70's Gibson Flying V reissue and have been admiring Michael's tone.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:16 AM 09-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I've been listening a lot of UFO lately. I recently bought a new 70's Gibson Flying V reissue and have been admiring Michael's tone.
UFO was a very under appreciated band but had a loyal following. Here they are are then and now.

[Reply]
htismaqe 09:45 AM 09-13-2020
I just love UFO, everything about them. Great song writing, catchy, and Schenker topped it all off with some of the best guitar work of the 70's.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:52 AM 09-13-2020
Every time I think of UFO

That riff, that bass....perfect. And crazy for 1975!
[Reply]
Bowser 09:53 AM 09-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
NINGEN ISU is fucking AWESOME. :-)

And this is nuts. These guys look like anything but a rock band, haha!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up