ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Memorial Day Thread. Tell us about your heroes.
BigRedChief 08:41 PM 05-25-2018
Please post about who you lost in your family while serving this country. Your friend, co-worker or anyone you lost or would like to post about in the service of the country.
——————————————————————

I recently did the Genalogy thing. I’d like to tell you about Richard Proctor, my Great-Great Grandfather.

In 1862 at 23 he left his one year old son, my great grandfather and his wife, to join the Green County Union regiment out of Springfield Mo.

He served on active duty for 2 years. Fought in several major battles but was never wounded. In July of 1864 he was finally wounded in the Battle of Atlanta after saving “several” of his fellow regiment soldiers. He was captured and taken to the infamous Andersonville prison. He died that winter in Andersonville prison. He never saw his family again.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 01:22 PM 05-26-2018
I also had a relative die in Andersonville. He was a Scout for the 2nd NY Cavalry. He was captured 3 times and released twice in prisoner exchanges. Third time capture was a trip to Andersonville.
[Reply]
srvy 01:56 PM 05-26-2018
LTDR Michael Scott Speicher 1st casualty 1991 Gulf War. We grew up together road bikes explored the woods till his Dad relocated to Florida. Was one naturally funniest people I ever met. Everyone who ever met him was better for knowing him and miss him still today. Hope your resting in piece Scottie.

Arlington

[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:16 PM 05-26-2018
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno:
I also had a relative die in Andersonville. He was a Scout for the 2nd NY Cavalry. He was captured 3 times and released twice in prisoner exchanges. Third time capture was a trip to Andersonville.
damn, l bet he was a charismatic man in his day. Ballsie too.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 07:50 PM 05-26-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
damn, l bet he was a charismatic man in his day. Ballsie too.

He was just a kid really. Signed up in NYC at the age of 17 in 1861. He was a sharpshooter that could ride a horse. Spent the War behind Enemy lines. Married in 1863 and Died 1864. Buried in Andersonville.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:47 PM 05-26-2018
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno:
He was just a kid really. Signed up in NYC at the age of 17 in 1861. He was a sharpshooter that could ride a horse. Spent the War behind Enemy lines. Married in 1863 and Died 1864. Buried in Andersonville.
its unbelievable that when the time comes throughout our history that the “ordinary” kids can make extrodinary sacrifices for the greater good. That’s why we should take this time every year to pause our life’s and recognize those who sacrificed to get us here.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:59 AM 05-27-2018
Nathan Hale
Stonewall Jackson
[Reply]
58-4ever 07:41 AM 05-27-2018
For Memorial Day, I always remember my grandpa Arnold Pluid. He served for 17 years as a combat medic. He was in WW2 and Korea, including the Battle of the Bulge. I wish I had more time with him.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 07:49 AM 05-27-2018
Didn't die in action, but my grandfather fought WWII (Army). Landed D-Day+11 in France. Slapped Hitler's boys around until they got just inside Germany. I was never told what happened, but he lost a leg and was sent home. Died in the early 80's.

Wife's grandpa fought in Korea. Don't know anything about his time there, he would just say "It was rough" when asked about it.

Other military mentions in my life.

My Grandpa (mom's side) was drafted for WWII, but didn't pass the physical.

Dad is Navy. Joined after high school at the tail end of 'Nam. By the end of boot camp, we were coming home.

Numerous aunts, uncles, cousins serve/served. Got a cousin that fought in Iraq#1. Was that called Operation Desert Storm? Can't remember off the top of my head?

Current hero is my son. Active duty U.S. Marines. He is in the Pacific as we speak.

These are just the folks I personally know/have met. My family is eyeballs deep in military folk :-)

.... and let's not forget to mention the folks back home that sacrificed so we could fight and win. Years ago, I was at grandpa/mas going through an old box of pictures and what-not. I found one of there old war stamps cards. Damn, I wish I would have kept that, but I was just a punk kid and didn't know any better :-)
[Reply]
-King- 08:48 AM 05-27-2018
He's the hero we need but not the one we deserve
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01:58 PM 05-27-2018
My grandfather. Army Colonel, served for over 40 years, fought in 3 wars, one purple heart, a bronze star, 3 Legion of Merits, Army Intelligence, MACV, CIA.

My father too. Twenty years with the 101st Airborne and 82nd armor.

Neither KIA but both fought and are definitely heroes to me. Would've joined myself but they both asked me not to. Said it could be a rough life, especially with a family. They thought the family had served enough for awhile.
[Reply]
Miles 02:09 PM 05-27-2018
My grandfather served in the marines in WW2 and was in Okanawa as an MP but never really talked about openly it at all. I’d always meant to bluntly ask him about it and particularly after the HBO Pacific series but never got the nerve before he passed a few years ago.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:13 PM 05-27-2018
My ancestors dutifully paid taxes so your ancestors could go to war. I come from a long line of taxpayers.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02:19 PM 05-27-2018
Originally Posted by Miles:
My grandfather served in the marines in WW2 and was in Okanawa as an MP but never really talked about openly it at all. I’d always meant to bluntly ask him about it and particularly after the HBO Pacific series but never got the nerve before he passed a few years ago.
This is where I'm at. I really wish I knew more but I don't know how comfortable he is talking about it. Some of the intelligence stuff he probably can't talk about. He's fluent in Russian. A Russian friend of his tells me he speaks it like a Russian and has no accent. He also disappeared to Israel for a year right after the Munich Olympics. I pretty much just have tidbits of information. I bet he could tell some stories but he either doesn't want to or can't.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:26 PM 05-27-2018
My grandpas.

Both fought in WWII. Grandpa Nath fought in Italy AND Africa and rescued people fleeing from Mt. Vesuvius eruption.

Then they came home, stayed married for 60+ years, lived in nice neighborhoods in cool houses, had six kids and 10 grandkids, and did it all without college degrees.

One still alive at 95. Mows his own lawn. Going to Alaska later this year.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up