ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 45 of 62
« First < 354142434445 4647484955 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
Frosty 07:34 PM 09-12-2019
La La La - I can't hear you!

Nope, no spoilers. It does look like they will move outside the solar system. It also looks like Bobbie will be back. I also hope that Melba/Clarissa continues a redemption arc, but I don't want to know ahead of time
[Reply]
FlorentinePogen 07:49 PM 09-12-2019
Finally got around to reading Gene Wolfe the past couple months (Book of The New Sun, Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Island of Doctor Death...). Absolutely amazing, some of my most enjoyable reading in years. Going to start on the Long Sun and Short Sun series soon.

Will also sneak in a horror/fantasy recommendation here: Ghost Story by Peter Straub (1979). Read it this Spring and it's the best horror novel I've ever read.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 08:07 PM 09-12-2019
Originally Posted by FlorentinePogen:
Finally got around to reading Gene Wolfe the past couple months (Book of The New Sun, Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Island of Doctor Death...). Absolutely amazing, some of my most enjoyable reading in years. Going to start on the Long Sun and Short Sun series soon.
Welcome to the club! He's one of the most unique, and best, authors I've ever read. Short Sun is incredible.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 11:02 PM 09-12-2019
Olaf Stapeldon's ODD JOHN a must read.

Love the "Conan" books by Robert E. Howard, nobody did heroic fantasy better.
[Reply]
Third Eye 07:46 PM 09-18-2019
Malazan fans, I have a question or two. I just started the series and recently finished Gardens of the Moon. Do people like the Esslemont books? Should I read them after the main series or read them concurrently? Is there a suggested order if I do read them together? I’m sure there are answers out there that are easily googleable, maybe even in this thread, but I don’t want to read spoilers.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:08 PM 09-18-2019
So for years I've heard about how good this book series by Pierce Brown is, that starts with the novel Red Rising. I've had it on Audible for I don't know how long, and for whatever reason I've never started to listen to it. Until last night, when I finally started listening to the book, and....holy shit. I don't even know how to describe it. It almost evokes Dune, which I think most of you probably know is my favorite book of all time. And i'm only maybe 5 hours into Red Rising, and I'm already thinking it's this good. I can't wait to get into the whole series, which is I think up to 7 volumes now.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 08:30 PM 09-18-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Malazan fans, I have a question or two. I just started the series and recently finished Gardens of the Moon. Do people like the Esslemont books? Should I read them after the main series or read them concurrently? Is there a suggested order if I do read them together? I’m sure there are answers out there that are easily googleable, maybe even in this thread, but I don’t want to read spoilers.
I read the first one he did and enjoyed it. Not on Erikson's level but I hear he really improves. There's an ultimate reading order but Erikson suggested just doing publication order, which is what I did/am doing.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:09 PM 09-18-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:

I would do publication order, personally. Less to keep track of that way. The Esslemont books add even more characters and detail and happenings.

The esslemont books pick up and improve as they go along. Return of the Crimson Guard is really good.

Erikson is the master of epic fantasy. You want sweeping, vast, varied, interconnected plotlines? Check.

You want to laugh? Check.

You want to cry when characters you love are ripped away from you? Check. So many times.

You want gritty realism when it comes to politics and war? Check.

You want moral dilemmas? Check.

You want character growth? Check.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:11 PM 09-18-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
So for years I've heard about how good this book series by Pierce Brown is, that starts with the novel Red Rising. I've had it on Audible for I don't know how long, and for whatever reason I've never started to listen to it. Until last night, when I finally started listening to the book, and....holy shit. I don't even know how to describe it. It almost evokes Dune, which I think most of you probably know is my favorite book of all time. And i'm only maybe 5 hours into Red Rising, and I'm already thinking it's this good. I can't wait to get into the whole series, which is I think up to 7 volumes now.

Pierce Brown is a boss, too. Darrow is a badass protagonist.

It’s a good series. Major shift in tone from book 1 (all about the making and the institute) to the following books, too. In a good way.

Brown, like Herbert, does a good job of making you think about the cost of having a Messiah with a cause. Unlike Herbert, he doesn’t flinch away from showing the fallout of it as it goes. Really good stuff.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:44 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I would do publication order, personally. Less to keep track of that way. The Esslemont books add even more characters and detail and happenings.

The esslemont books pick up and improve as they go along. Return of the Crimson Guard is really good.

Erikson is the master of epic fantasy. You want sweeping, vast, varied, interconnected plotlines? Check.

You want to laugh? Check.

You want to cry when characters you love are ripped away from you? Check. So many times.

You want gritty realism when it comes to politics and war? Check.

You want moral dilemmas? Check.

You want character growth? Check.
You want a final book in the series that will go on for frigging ever? Check.
:-)
I'm on page 300ish of Crippled God, waiting for it to pick up speed.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:12 PM 09-19-2019
My local bookstore owner was talking up a book called Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'll give it a read soon.
[Reply]
patteeu 02:32 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
My local bookstore owner was talking up a book called Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'll give it a read soon.
I love Neal Stephenson, but Seveneves isn't one of my favorites. I'll just say I couldn't get past the concept's implausibility. It's still good though, so give it a read.
[Reply]
NewChief 03:09 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I love Neal Stephenson, but Seveneves isn't one of my favorites. I'll just say I couldn't get past the concept's implausibility. It's still good though, so give it a read.
I loved Seveneves. Patt is a heathen.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03:21 PM 09-19-2019
If you can suspend your disbelief a little then the first 2/3's are great. The third act felt a little rushed. Same for a lot of Stephenson's work. I love The Diamond Age and Anathem, though.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:35 PM 09-19-2019
Cryptonomicon ?
[Reply]
Page 45 of 62
« First < 354142434445 4647484955 > Last »
Up