ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 07:26 PM 02-25-2020
yea ive got it too, they put me on a cpap machine, i dont like it at all, hard for me to sleep with but i know plenty of guys who do it just fine.
personlly i find the whole thing dammed annoying, i hear the wind blowing from the damm thing all the time and it wakes me up, i also do not like the hose attached to me all night.
sorry to be so negative about it all but its the way i feel. do i think i probably need help with this problem? prolly so but i wish there was another way.
just my 2c
[Reply]
seclark 07:39 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
yea ive got it too, they put me on a cpap machine, i dont like it at all, hard for me to sleep with but i know plenty of guys who do it just fine.
personlly i find the whole thing dammed annoying, i hear the wind blowing from the damm thing all the time and it wakes me up, i also do not like the hose attached to me all night.
sorry to be so negative about it all but its the way i feel. do i think i probably need help with this problem? prolly so but i wish there was another way.
just my 2c
Hell, back in the mid 80’s, they weighed 20lbs and sounded like a Kawasaki kz125...strap a mask over your pie hole and hope you live to see tomorrow
sec
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:44 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
You will have Congestive Heart Failure in 20 years if you dont get on CPAP.
A very close friend of mine, who had a wife and three children, suddenly died in late 2017. The guy was extremely fit, lean and muscular, even at age 47. He ran in half marathons and marathons and was an extremely active dad.

Three months after he and his family moved from Los Angeles back to his home state of Texas, his wife heard a loud "CRASH!" in the basement. She ran downstairs, only to find her husband passed out on the floor. She called 911, and the medics arrived in less than 8 minutes.

It was too late.

He suffered from a massive heart attack and he hit the floor so hard that it caused brain damage. From the heart attack to the brain damage to the loss of oxygen to his brain, the plug was pulled 3 days later and he died.

The cause? Sleep apnea. His heart was so weakened by the apnea that it killed him. It still gets to me even to this day...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:45 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
Hell, back in the mid 80’s, they weighed 20lbs and sounded like a Kawasaki kz125...strap a mask over your pie hole and hope you live to see tomorrow
sec
:-)

Thank goodness, mine's silent. It's a Philips Respironics and with insurance and a doctor's note, cost me $250 dollars in 2015.

Best money I've ever spent.
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 08:04 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
sec
i dont have an old one, ive only been on this since last august, maybe i need a diff mask, ive tried 3 styles so far. right now im using the one that you can rotate your whole head around and has a strap around your head and a pillow on your nose . dont mean to scare you off of doing the right thing, just want to let you know not everyone is in love with these torture machines. lol
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:43 PM 02-25-2020
There is a device for implanting on the lung. It shocks the lungs to breathe when it stops for too long. Controlled my a remote or app.

Trying to find an ad for it.

one possibility

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/d...r-sleep-apnea/
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:06 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A very close friend of mine, who had a wife and three children, suddenly died in late 2017. The guy was extremely fit, lean and muscular, even at age 47. He ran in half marathons and marathons and was an extremely active dad.

Three months after he and his family moved from Los Angeles back to his home state of Texas, his wife heard a loud "CRASH!" in the basement. She ran downstairs, only to find her husband passed out on the floor. She called 911, and the medics arrived in less than 8 minutes.

It was too late.

He suffered from a massive heart attack and he hit the floor so hard that it caused brain damage. From the heart attack to the brain damage to the loss of oxygen to his brain, the plug was pulled 3 days later and he died.

The cause? Sleep apnea. His heart was so weakened by the apnea that it killed him. It still gets to me even to this day...
sorry to hear. That’s sucks.:-)

Doesn’t matter how much you work out or how great your cardiovascular shape is. Every time you stop breathing, you create pressure on the anterior walls of your arteries in your heart. Enough times, and everyone’s different on how long it will take, the walls of your arteries eventually fail.

Maybe it’s only one artery but the right artery and there is no blood/oxygen getting pumped to a crucial heart muscle. Nothing can save you but an emergency by-pass operation where they put a new artery in to provide oxygen to your heart.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:29 PM 02-25-2020
i dont have an old one, ive only been on this since last august, maybe i need a diff mask, ive tried 3 styles so far. right now im using the one that you can rotate your whole head around and has a strap around your head and a pillow on your nose . dont mean to scare you off of doing the right thing, just want to let you know not everyone is in love with these torture machines. lol
everyone hates cpap. They are really difficult to get use to and wear. It’s counter intuitive to the way we normally breathe. Every single sleep study I ever did, I always got the patient to fall asleep with a cpap mask on.

The issue is you. Everyone in here went through the same thing. We just decided that this thing on my face sucks but I want to feel better and more rested tomorrow. I want to consider my spouse and not keep her up with my snoring. Okay, I’ll take the damn medicine.
[Reply]
jdubya 11:16 PM 02-25-2020
I was dx with sleep apnea but i knew why. I was a bit heavy and drank a few too many beers each night. Tried a CPAP and neither myself nor my wife could sleep. Fuck that shit. Stopped drinking for 3 months and low and behold I stopped snoring....

The way I see it. If you are fat and a drinker, so is your tongue that blocks your airway at night. Either stop drinking or deal with a CPAP.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:13 AM 02-26-2020
I can just imagine how sexy your wives think you look in that cpap and huge jowels.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:39 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
I was dx with sleep apnea but i knew why. I was a bit heavy and drank a few too many beers each night. Tried a CPAP and neither myself nor my wife could sleep. **** that shit. Stopped drinking for 3 months and low and behold I stopped snoring....

The way I see it. If you are fat and a drinker, so is your tongue that blocks your airway at night. Either stop drinking or deal with a CPAP.
wellll thats a new one, drinking causes sleep apnea. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:43 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I can just imagine how sexy your wives think you look in that cpap and huge jowels.
After 30 years, She probably enjoys the non-snoring more than looking at my unobstructed pretty face while I sleep.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 02:47 AM 02-26-2020
Sleep apnea is a lot more serious than many people think it is. Sleep apnea played a roll in the deaths of both Reggie White and Carrie Fisher.

As some have stated, REM sleep is extremely important to your overall health. Untreated sleep apnea contributes to sleep deprivation. The list of health issues caused by sleep deprivation is long, and too much to put into one post, but together sleep apnea and sleep deprivation can have a severe physical and emotional impact on your quality of life.

I stopped breathing 44 times in a 6 hour period during my sleep study. At the time I was not in bad shape, and x-rays indicated that my jaw was set too far back, and made my airway extremely small when lying prone. So, while many associate the need for a CPAP machine with being overweight, that isn't always the case.

I cannot recommend getting a CPAP machine enough. It may be difficult to find a mask that works for you, the benefits are well worth the trial and error. I currently use a Mirage FX nasal mask, which works for me because I naturally keep my mouth closed during sleep, and it's small in size.

My actual machine learns my breathing pattern, and lessens the air pressure when I exhale, which makes it much easier to get used to. Respironics calls this feature C-flex, I think, but other manufacturers may call it something else.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 05:16 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
everyone hates cpap. They are really difficult to get use to and wear. It’s counter intuitive to the way we normally breathe. Every single sleep study I ever did, I always got the patient to fall asleep with a cpap mask on.

The issue is you. Everyone in here went through the same thing. We just decided that this thing on my face sucks but I want to feel better and more rested tomorrow. I want to consider my spouse and not keep her up with my snoring. Okay, I’ll take the damn medicine.
That's just it, I was supposed to feel better and not be sleepy by mid day, didn't work. Then they wanted to blame the beer drinking, so now I barely drink, still up in the middle of the night, I'm writing this at 5 am cause I can't sleep.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:11 AM 02-26-2020
That's just it, I was supposed to feel better and not be sleepy by mid day, didn't work. Then they wanted to blame the beer drinking, so now I barely drink, still up in the middle of the night, I'm writing this at 5 am cause I can't sleep.
Honestly, it took about 6 months for me to get the full benefits. Yes, I was sleeping better but was still tired in the middle of the day. But after about 6 months it was better, and now it's much better.

I still get tired in the middle of the day sometimes, but that might just be the way it is.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Up