ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:38 AM 08-06-2020
mine

[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:54 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
mine
I had my last one for 15 years or so. Bought that model a couple of months ago. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:58 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
The air pressure was a weird sensation at first. Took me a while to fall asleep because I kept focusing on it and how I breathed. Then the rims of my nostrils chapped from the pillows, but using a little triple antibiotic ointment during the day fixed that quickly.

Now, its just nice. Once I got adjusted to it, I go to sleep and I stay asleep. I would recommend it to anyone. It was pricey, but well worth it.
most people who have sleep apnea have been mouth breathers forever. Going to sleeping with your mouth closed takes getting use to. Don’t go to tight to get your seal around the nostrils at first. Work your way up to the seal.
[Reply]
tatorhog 11:25 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
most people who have sleep apnea have been mouth breathers forever. Going to sleeping with your mouth closed takes getting use to. Don’t go to tight to get your seal around the nostrils at first. Work your way up to the seal.
Its all good now.

I didn't have any issues adjusting to breathing through my nose when I slept. The forced air to my nose would do weird things if I opened my mouth, more comical than anything. But that part of it was pretty seamless.

I wasn't allowed to actually get fitted by the cpap provider because at the time everybody was afraid of covid and I couldn't even go in the store. They literally brought it out to my car, gave me some quick how-to's and sent me on my way. I think I got the fit pretty close on my own anyway. The machine reported zero leaks when I had my followup with the pulmo.

They set me up with a Phillips Dreamstation. Not sure how it stacks up to the ResMed, the ResMed is the one I seem to see more people talking about having. I can't complain about what I have though, it seems to do the job well.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:32 AM 08-06-2020
Its all good now.
They set me up with a Phillips Dreamstation. Not sure how it stacks up to the ResMed, the ResMed is the one I seem to see more people talking about having. I can't complain about what I have though, it seems to do the job well.
the Resmed models mentioned are the workhorses. They get the job done without a bunch of useless bells and whistles that run the cost up. They have been around for awhile. When you do a search you’ll find lots of praise for those models.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:26 PM 08-06-2020
Then the rims of my nostrils chapped from the pillows, but using a little triple antibiotic ointment during the day fixed that quickly.
I use a little bit of lanolin cream on my nostrils at night to prevent the chapping and to create a little better seal.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:22 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
I use a little bit of lanolin cream on my nostrils at night to prevent the chapping and to create a little better seal.
You guys are on this. :-) Did someone tell you about those tips or did you guys figure it out on your own?
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:32 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
You guys are on this. :-) Did someone tell you about those tips or did you guys figure it out on your own?
The med supply company I got my cpap from mentioned using the ointment. I'm sure anything like lanolin, etc would have achieved the same thing in softening the chapped skin. It resolved the chapping in short order.
[Reply]
seclark 03:34 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
mine
i've had this model for about 4 years, i think...it's great
they call me every 3 months and send new hose, new filters and nose mask. then every 6 months, i get a new water tank.

i guess it has a chip in it so the insurance company can monitor how much i'm using it so they keep paying for everything.
sec
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:34 PM 08-06-2020
Naps are the hard part. I would say keep them short-if you don't breathe at night, you will not during a nap. Have heard of a few wearing their cpap during a mask.

Heard of one person that had two. Would wear it while watching tv-he relaxed so much at time he would forget to breathe.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Up