Lil' Troy died not too long ago. He was 63
This is false
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:48 AM 02-13-2020
He gone.
[Reply]
YontsRBake 11:55 AM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I hope he was good enough to get a third rounder for his services. I’d even be ok with a 4th. This is a strong WR class but maybe he can have a good career with Russel Wilson, Garapolo or Stafford.
I think we'll have to cut him due to nobody wanting that contract, but maybe Vecah pulls it off.
[Reply]
JakeF 12:23 PM 02-13-2020
He is, but you don't pay 20m a year for a parttime baller.
[Reply]
PurpleRiders51 12:30 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
Quite so, Mr. PurpleRiders.

However, this thread is about Sammy Watkins.

Are you, by chance, one of those halfwit cretin types?

FAX
Lol, no. At least I don't believe I am.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 01:26 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by wachashi:
I can't imagine a team giving up much draft capital for the right to overpay Sammy for one year. If Sammy were cut, he'd likely get an offer in the $11 million/year range. That's where Spotrac estimates his market value. I think his 2020 cap hit, if traded, is at $14 million.

Are there teams out there that would prefer to overpay Sammy for one year + give up some draft capital VS waiting until he's cut to sign him to a cheaper but longer term deal?
You've got that backwards. If traded or cut, caps SAVINGS is $14M. Dead money is $7M.

https://overthecap.com/player/sammy-watkins/2943/

edit: Hill is getting $17M this year and Sammy is scheduled to get $21M. Something ain't right! And no one will trade for the right to restructure him.
[Reply]
FAX 01:28 PM 02-13-2020
I find it difficult to believe that so many of you guys are "in-the-box" thinkers.

It took Sammy almost a full year to learn the playbook including the entire route tree as well as the specialty plays. Then ... he recommitted himself to rehabbing whatever the hell is wrong with his lower body during the off-season. Then ... he demonstrated time and again his speed, his hands, and his clutch gene.

Yes, under his current contract, he is overpaid given his position in the skill player pecking-order. However, I should like to point out that "23 Jet Chip Wasp" probably doesn't work without Sammy. A receiver with lesser off-the-line speed, hands, and route-running ability would NOT have threatened the left corner with the in-route at the sticks as dramatically.

So let us consider this;

Sammy has moved his young family to KC. He likes it here. He appreciates the training staff, the coaches, his teammates, and the success (something he's never experienced in the pros).

I believe his interest in all things metaphysical combined with a desire to play with Mahomes will motivate him to cut a team-friendly deal with Veach. Of course, I'm guessing, but I don't think he wants to start all over with another team if it can be avoided. On top of all that, Mahomes trusts him.

I think some of you guys underrate the only Reptile Solar Being on our roster.

FAX
[Reply]
alpha_omega 01:40 PM 02-13-2020
Glad he played well for this post season run...but he certainly seems like an "all or nothing" type player.
[Reply]
Frosty 01:42 PM 02-13-2020
I'm with FAX. I think Watkins is an important cog in making Reid's current offense go. Even when he isn't getting targets, he is drawing coverages his way to open up Hill and Kelce (like the Chip Wasp play). We don't currently have someone with his skill set to take his place. Hardman is more of a Hill clone and gadget guy and did nothing during the playoff run. Pringle can probably adequately replace DRob but I don't think he can replace Sammy. That means using draft capital or FA to replace him and then you have the problem of how long it takes WRs to pick up the offense.

If I'm Veach, I do everything I can to figure out a way to sign Watkins long term to a more team friendly deal.
[Reply]
SAUTO 01:52 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Although I agree with the truth in your post......$21 million against the cap next year ain't happening. Thats top 5 in the NFL money. He's not even the best one on our team.
he was the best one on this team in the playoffs, thats for sure.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 02:12 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:

It took Sammy almost a full year to learn the playbook including the entire route tree as well as the specialty play.
:-)

Reid's concepts aren't that hard to understand
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:17 PM 02-13-2020
Nobody's going to trade anything of value for 1 year of Watkins' bloated salary. Maybe if we extend him to something lower. But presumably that would be him making a team-friendly deal because he wants to stay. So it would be kind of a dick move to trade him.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:18 PM 02-13-2020
Average years, there are 30-40 WRs invited to the scouting combine.

This year there were 55.

Best WR class in a long time.

I like Sammy, but I think Hardman (who is working with Tyreek and his guys this offseason) will be ready for the wr2 role and between Kemp, Fenton, Deiter and a draft pick or 2, the WRs will be just fine.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:20 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Nobody's going to trade anything of value for 1 year of Watkins' bloated salary. Maybe if we extend him to something lower. But presumably that would be him making a team-friendly deal because he wants to stay. So it would be kind of a dick move to trade him.
I’d be fine extending him at 11-12m per year, but that’s not going to happen.

Watkins is gone. We just have to hope we get something in return because cutting him shouldn’t be an option.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:20 PM 02-13-2020
I can definitely see an argument for selling out for a potential dynasty team now - while we still have Hill and Kelce in their primes. Sign Jones, maybe give Watkins a 2-3 year deal where he gets more guaranteed money but less than $21M a year obviously. Backload Mahomes' contract so the first few years are easy on the cap.

Then about the time Kelce and Hill are slowing down - might have a few years of cleaning house/rebuilding.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 30
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up