ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 38
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 07:42 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
No team has ever gotten that level of return in a trade, for any player at any time in the leagues 100 year history. Not even half of that.

I understand Chief fans are having a hard time adjusting to the new reality when you have the best QB in league with a cap. But, come on man.
:-)
My point was there really isn't anything we should take in return for Jones. He needs to be on this team.

Well, he needs to be on this team if winning another Super Bowl is important to the organization.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 07:59 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
No, not really.

Do an offseason mock and you’ll know what I mean. If you sign Jones, it becomes incredibly hard to fill out the rest of the roster with anything but vet minimum players. Holes pop up everywhere.

And I’m not saying that they won’t do that, but I think the odds are against it. This new CBA is our only hope to keep him around.
If we’re signing him, though, you do it prior to the cap increasing, for a better deal.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:05 PM 02-13-2020
I wonder if Andy and Veach aren’t talking to Patrick and saying, look bud, you wanna keep Jones... you’re gonna have to take somewhere around $30-35M. Cause that may just make all the difference.

It’s a tough deal but this is the price you pay (literally) to have a shot at being the GOAT. You can’t do it on your own.

Being a perennial champion will more than make up for that money in the long run through off the field deals. But hell, I’m biased.
No way does he accept anything less than a contract that makes him the highest paid player. Now maybe that means he only accepts $36 million a season. But I don’t see him accepting $35 million or less.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:13 PM 02-13-2020
Now maybe you throw in more guaranteed money or Pat allows us to structure his deal so that it gives Veach flexibility to structure other contracts so that it all fits together and more guys can get paid.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:28 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
That’s not right.

It’s all in how Veach structures his deals.

Everything is on a 3 year sliding scale.
It’s going to take some major structuring along with the new CBA. A lot depends on if players will agree on 17 games bc there’s going to be major pushback and rightfully so.

If a new CBA passes, it won’t just explode after the 2020 offseason. It will be a gradual increase over time. The avg increase recently is roughly $10 million a year. A new CBA would likely make that $15-17 million IMO. But even with that you’re gonna have to structure things.

I would imagine that means Veach giving Travis Kelce and Tyrann Matheiu an extension after next season to provide cap space and alleviate the huge hits to our cap in 2021.

If the new CBA does get players to agree to 17 games, we have a shot.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:00 PM 02-13-2020
No, not really.

Do an offseason mock and you’ll know what I mean. If you sign Jones, it becomes incredibly hard to fill out the rest of the roster with anything but vet minimum players. Holes pop up everywhere.

And I’m not saying that they won’t do that, but I think the odds are against it. This new CBA is our only hope to keep him around.
Here’s what I think is the probable outcome to all of this...

Pennel is re-signed for 2yrs 5m
Wisnewski is re-signed for a year for 2m.
Jones gets a 3 year deal for 56m
CHJ signs for 2years 12m to play slot
Albert Wilson signs a 1 year deal for 3m

Watkins is traded for a 3rd
LDT is traded for a 5th
Colquitt retires

That leaves the draft and 7-10m more in cap space to round out the roster.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:52 AM 02-14-2020
I don’t think there’s any chance that Chris Harris ends up here. The slot is what Mathieu does best, I don’t see them moving him out. Outside CB is where we could upgrade most in the secondary, and the safety spot that Fuller vacates could become a need.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:37 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Here’s what I think is the probable outcome to all of this...

Pennel is re-signed for 2yrs 5m
Wisnewski is re-signed for a year for 2m.
Jones gets a 3 year deal for 56m
CHJ signs for 2years 12m to play slot
Albert Wilson signs a 1 year deal for 3m

Watkins is traded for a 3rd
LDT is traded for a 5th
Colquitt retires

That leaves the draft and 7-10m more in cap space to round out the roster.
I'd do this in a heartbeat but there would be a ton of holes with everyone else leaving. We have a shitload of FA's.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 09:05 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
I'd do this in a heartbeat but there would be a ton of holes with everyone else leaving. We have a shitload of FA's.
This — the plan proposed still leaves us without CBs outside of Ward and Fenton.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:06 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
This — the plan proposed still leaves us without CBs outside of Ward and Fenton.
He signed Chris Harris JR.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:52 AM 02-14-2020
Here’s the big thing that we aren’t talking about enough when it comes to retaining Jones in my mind.

Say they re-sign him. You’ve got all your expensive stars in place, including:

- Mahomes
- Hill
- Kelce
- Schwartz
- Fisher
- Jones
- Clark
- Mathieu

Alright, so those 8 guys in combination take up a huge chunk of the cap while also putting you right back in the AFCCG if they’re all healthy. If they’re all healthy.

What happens as soon as one or even two of them go down to injury? Not even including Mahomes. Your roster is probably going to be bare enough elsewhere that you just can’t compete with the other contenders out there that have a deeper roster.

Now, if this cap goes way way up, then it may not be the same type of problem. But as is, this is our reality in my mind if Jones is kept at $20M per year. As soon as we lose one of those big 8, good chance we’re toast. Maybe that’s the case either way, idk. Thinking out loud.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:56 AM 02-14-2020
Like Mutt & Jeff.........

[Reply]
The Franchise 10:27 AM 02-14-2020
Here’s the big thing that we aren’t talking about enough when it comes to retaining Jones in my mind.

Say they re-sign him. You’ve got all your expensive stars in place, including:

- Mahomes
- Hill
- Kelce
- Schwartz
- Fisher
- Jones
- Clark
- Mathieu

Alright, so those 8 guys in combination take up a huge chunk of the cap while also putting you right back in the AFCCG if they’re all healthy. If they’re all healthy.

What happens as soon as one or even two of them go down to injury? Not even including Mahomes. Your roster is probably going to be bare enough elsewhere that you just can’t compete with the other contenders out there that have a deeper roster.

Now, if this cap goes way way up, then it may not be the same type of problem. But as is, this is our reality in my mind if Jones is kept at $20M per year. As soon as we lose one of those big 8, good chance we’re toast. Maybe that’s the case either way, idk. Thinking out loud.
That’s going to be a lot of teams. How many teams out there are built for depth with no superstars?

Superstars win you games. You just need enough depth that you can you deal with an injury here or there.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:38 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
That’s going to be a lot of teams. How many teams out there are built for depth with no superstars?

Superstars win you games. You just need enough depth that you can you deal with an injury here or there.
I don’t think we will have that depth unless we nail the draft year after year which is obviously damn near impossible.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:48 AM 02-14-2020
I don’t think we will have that depth unless we nail the draft year after year which is obviously damn near impossible.
Ward
D. Wilson
Ragland
Erving
Reiter
Wylie
Rankin
Breeland
Ogbah
Wiz
Pennel

All these guys are either either on rookie contracts or a contract as cheap. We’ve done a good job of filling depth without breaking the bank
[Reply]
Page 19 of 38
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up