ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 38
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
BossChief 02:14 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
heard on a podcast we still owe Berry $8 million.
no. Eric has been paid everything owed. The 8m is the prorated part of the already paid out signing bonus that hasn’t hit the cap yet because he was a June 1st cut.

Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I don't think we will have cap issues because of Mahomes. With the new CBA and new TV deals in the next couple of years I bet the salary cap goes up $40-50 million
More games
QB cap
Legal gambling
New tv contracts
More overseas games

The cap will be 300m in 4-5 years.
[Reply]
kcjayhawks5 02:40 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I don't think we win the SB without Jones. I'm also not sure he's worth a huge, long-term contract if we can get a significant return on a tag and trade. Two firsts (and cap room)? Man, I'd be tempted, even though I love his play.

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make this decision. Veach is a scout at heart. I'm wondering if he likes the challenge of replacing a guy like that.
I agree. I wouldn’t like to be Veach right now trying to figure out how to make all of this work. I’m sure it’s tempting to try to tag and trade him but obviously we run a giant risk of that not planning out as wel. This is really tough. We don’t want to be in cap hell but it’s the only way to do it to try to keep the current team together (for the most part). Can’t have a d-line that can’t get out hits on the QB. I say you roll the dice and sign him. We know what we are getting with him.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 02:49 PM 02-13-2020
I don't think we win the SB without Jones. I'm also not sure he's worth a huge, long-term contract if we can get a significant return on a tag and trade. Two firsts (and cap room)? Man, I'd be tempted, even though I love his play.

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make this decision. Veach is a scout at heart. I'm wondering if he likes the challenge of replacing a guy like that.
If we can get TWO firsts I’m making that trade. I think we’d get closer to a 1st and 3rd though, which makes the decision a lot tougher.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:56 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by kcjayhawks5:
I agree. I wouldn’t like to be Veach right now trying to figure out how to make all of this work. I’m sure it’s tempting to try to tag and trade him but obviously we run a giant risk of that not planning out as wel. This is really tough. We don’t want to be in cap hell but it’s the only way to do it to try to keep the current team together (for the most part). Can’t have a d-line that can’t get out hits on the QB. I say you roll the dice and sign him. We know what we are getting with him.
I tend to agree, but a first and second rounder this year would make things really interesting.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:59 PM 02-13-2020
I tend to agree, but a first and second rounder this year would make things really interesting.
I wouldn’t expect more than a 1st this year and a 2021 3rd.

I’d gladly take that if we can’t afford to keep him though.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:01 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:

Just need a couple of teams (like Raiders/Dolphins) to get the bidding going.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:08 PM 02-13-2020
Just need a couple of teams (like Raiders/Dolphins) to get the bidding going.
Trading Jones to the Raiders would be monumentally fucking stupid.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:14 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Trading Jones to the Raiders would be monumentally ****ing stupid.
I suppose so, but if they offered a first and a second, I'd at least listen (especially where that first might be). It'd also provide some leverage in negotiations with other teams.
[Reply]
TribalElder 03:15 PM 02-13-2020
Trading Jones to the Raiders would be monumentally ****ing stupid.
This x100

you already know how mayock loves him some Chris Jones so I would expect the Raiders to be active in picking him up even if we trade him to the NFC
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:20 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:

It’s not guaranteed but keep in mind:

Tunsil went for two 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder
Ramsey went for two 1st round picks and a 4th rounder
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:25 PM 02-13-2020
I don't believe either of those were tag and trade, right? Clark is probably a better comp. But Edge is still worth more than the middle of the line and Jones is at best neutral against the run. So I'd be happy with a mid-round first or a late round first and some change.
[Reply]
Danguardace 03:50 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I don't believe either of those were tag and trade, right? Clark is probably a better comp. But Edge is still worth more than the middle of the line and Jones is at best neutral against the run. So I'd be happy with a mid-round first or a late round first and some change.
How many truly dominate interior pass rushers are there in the league? Donald, Cox, Jones who else?
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:56 PM 02-13-2020
Donald is in a league of his own.

The other two might make a good comp but I suspect they're better against the run. Anyone have PFF access?
[Reply]
BossChief 04:35 PM 02-13-2020
It’s not guaranteed but keep in mind:

Tunsil went for two 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder
Ramsey went for two 1st round picks and a 4th rounder
Exactly. And neither of them provides anywhere near the impact Jones does.
[Reply]
Halfcan 04:59 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
How many truly dominate interior pass rushers are there in the league? Donald, Cox, Jones who else?
People wanting to dump Jones must not remember what happened when the Chiefs traded away another defensive cornerstone in Curley Culp.

Worst trade in Chiefs history. Trading Jones could haunt us for years.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 38
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Up