ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 38
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
thabear04 04:46 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
:-) I think Wilson needs to stay and Colquitt has had a very nice run but it is time.
Unless Colquitt retires since he finally got a ring.
[Reply]
jimidollar 05:19 PM 02-10-2020
We shouldn't be paying $5 for a punter.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:53 PM 02-10-2020
There is zero reason to bring back Jones and only a slight chance it even happens. He’s long gone and for good reason. Dude will totally turn into a pumpkin if he gets his cash
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 06:09 PM 02-10-2020
I would absolutely trade him and his cap number for picks.
[Reply]
BossChief 06:10 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
He's already won a Super Bowl. That ship is sailed, he's a household name now. Worst case he's firmly in that Marino, Rodgers, Farve camp, and they have no problem getting endorsements.

I just don't see any way Mahomes doesn't get the biggest contract ever. Everyone compares to Brady but he only started taking discounts later, his first big contract wasn't a discount.
Mahomes turns down numerous endorsements so he has enough time to focus on his skills as a football player.

In fact, he’s done that since before he took a single preseason rookie snap.

Money isn’t the driving factor in his mind. Winning is.

If he signs a new deal soon, it will be for barely more than Russels deal...but I don’t think the deal will get done till the new CBA does and that will help both sides max their potential.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:29 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I wouldn’t say that at all. Jones plays a more valuable position but he isn’t as accomplished or as flexible IMO.

Clark has averaged double-digit sacks a season in the 4 years he’s been a starter. He can destroy any TE (see Kittle from the SB), he can rush inside or outside and he’s a more complete player.

Jones is excellent at rushing from inside, but he’s not that great of a run stuffer and only has half the amount of years accomplished as Frank does. Frank also has a dawg’s mentality which was crucial for this defense mentally.

It’s very close, but I see why they traded for Frank despite having to pay Jones.
If both are healthy it’s a close call. Jones is more of a unicorn given his position. I think he was better against the run this year and his ability to bat passes down is real. But healthy Clark is a special player and I think there’s a reason why Louis Riddick said that some viewed him as a top 3 edge defender when KC traded for him. He’s a force multiplier, does it all and makes others around him better with his demeanor.

Doesn’t matter for us, if they’re keeping only one, it’s definitely Clark.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 06:59 PM 02-10-2020
You meant Andy wants to keep Chris right ?? Just remember who is calling the shots here.:-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:30 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
There is zero reason to bring back Jones and only a slight chance it even happens. He’s long gone and for good reason. Dude will totally turn into a pumpkin if he gets his cash
How do you know this? You peek at his diary or something?
[Reply]
Walt White 07:56 PM 02-10-2020
If we sign a vet for like half his price or less to step in. Plus getting a 1st rounder and another pick who could be a starters for cheap. Plus the extra cap to possibly sign another starter or two.

As good as he is and as much as I wish he could stay, it would be hard to pass up a deal when we get that much value in return. Even if we do a bunch of moves to create extra cap, it should all probably be spread around for depth.

Either way, we have to be signing players to smart deals for the future. I'm not saying Chris Jones contract wouldn't be fair price if we kept him. I'm just saying even with the extra cap created, everyone we bring in needs to be on a good deal if we want to maximize value and protect the future of the team.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 08:38 PM 02-10-2020
Jones is almost certainly gone. We need the draft capital, and the cap room. We must hit on those picks.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 08:43 PM 02-10-2020
We can't afford Jones. It's that simple.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:31 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Because you’re a ****ing moron.
Simply posing the question. We would take a cap hit even if traded?
[Reply]
Walt White 09:54 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by The PMII Hypothesis:
Jones is almost certainly gone. We need the draft capital, and the cap room. We must hit on those picks.
We could make it happen if we wanted to. It just seems unlikely that it would be to the benefit of the team.

But all that depends on how we spend the capital that we get in return. If we spread the money out wisely, we should be better overall. If the market dries up and we miss out on FA targets, that would be tough in the short term. Or if we are left overpaying a couple FA's, that wouldn't be better than keeping Jones.

There is a risk either way. They have to make sure to hit on the free agents. And obviously the draft picks but that is important regardless. Hopefully free agents will want to come to KC so that wouldn't be a problem.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:17 PM 02-10-2020
Would you trade Jones and the #32 pick to the Dolphins for their #18 pick and a 3rd rounder this year?
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:20 PM 02-10-2020
https://youtu.be/mbdM1yfX5NE

I can't embed this for some reason but it's a must watch on this topic
[Reply]
Page 11 of 38
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Up