ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mattress hunting
007 06:23 AM 03-03-2021
Been trying to find a new mattress since mine is damn old tempurpedic. Tried two from oki but they just didn't fit the bill. Purchased a beautyrest black series x and haven't been able to sleep for more than an hour at a time. I've never had this problem before. I might wake up sore but I've always been able to sleep on any mattress. Except this one.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Looks like I'm going to have to exchange it for a new tempurpedic.
[Reply]
007 02:36 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Some of the comments regarding the quality of the products could not be further from the truth as well as understanding how the whole business works.

Realistically in the U.S. there’s only 3-4 manufacturers that dominate the market and everything else is not worth bringing up, especially in terms of quality.

Details please. Break it down for us phlebes.
[Reply]
Donger 02:36 PM 04-09-2021
I wonder what it costs to make a mattress, particularly one that retails for thousands.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 04-09-2021, 02:51 PM
This message has been deleted by Rams Fan.
Rams Fan 03:08 PM 04-09-2021
So, realistically within the U.S., there are four manufacturers that are likely viable long term:

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

Casper's IPO went terrible and they aren't making a profit any time soon due to their high cost of marketing with low sales.

Bed in the boxes, for the most part, are complete crap given the material. Some are decent, most are bad.

Depending on the manufacturer, they're probably charging 70-80% more than the actual manufacturing cost of the product.

Some manufacturers/retailers don't operate on a commission system for their stores and their sales people get paid a flat rate.

Best time to look for mattress products is Thursday-Monday, especially around the times of Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Black Friday, and President's Day.

Also, depending on the manufacturer, the cost of their product might be the same as going to a whole saler (ie: Mattress Firm) or purchasing directly from a manufacturer's website, regardless of region.

Mattress industry is super ****ing profitable.

Online shopping is booming for mattresses and is probably going to lead to more bed in boxes to flood the market, when the majority of them are absolute dog shit because it doesn't cost shit to make a mattress but you can make a gigantic profit off selling one.
[Reply]
Eureka 03:34 PM 04-09-2021
So, realistically within the U.S., there are four manufacturers that are likely viable long term:

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

Casper's IPO went terrible and they aren't making a profit any time soon due to their high cost of marketing with low sales.

Bed in the boxes, for the most part, are complete crap given the material. Some are decent, most are bad.

Depending on the manufacturer, they're probably charging 70-80% more than the actual manufacturing cost of the product.

Some manufacturers/retailers don't operate on a commission system for their stores and their sales people get paid a flat rate.

Best time to look for mattress products is Thursday-Monday, especially around the times of Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Black Friday, and President's Day.

Also, depending on the manufacturer, the cost of their product might be the same as going to a whole saler (ie: Mattress Firm) or purchasing directly from a manufacturer's website, regardless of region.

Online shopping is booming for mattresses and is probably going to lead to more bed in boxes to flood the market, when the majority of them are absolute dog shit because it doesn't cost shit to make a mattress but you can make a gigantic profit off selling one.
This is good info. I sold mattress's for a bit and the profit margin was huge. Recently tried a bed in box mattress and quickly sent it back.

Had an Airloom before and couldn't find an Airloom that had traditional old school coils that my old bed had. But I did find out that Airloom still made that mattress, just now only for the Macy's hotel collection. At 50% off it still cost 3k. It was worth it to me because after trying 3 different beds this new Airloom felt like that last one.

Bed shopping kind of sucks!
[Reply]
ljmhawk 04:21 PM 04-09-2021
i’m looking for a new mattress as well. been looking at the dreamcloud hybrid or cocoon chill hybrid by sealy. i need a bed that stays cool, i sleep hot
[Reply]
Sofa King 04:41 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
i’m looking for a new mattress as well. been looking at the dreamcloud hybrid or cocoon chill hybrid by sealy. i need a bed that stays cool, i sleep hot
Me too. God that's miserable.

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

In what order would you rank them best to worst. Any particulars to look out for when choosing one? Things to avoid or look for?
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 04:45 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
^this^ had my first adjustable one for about a year and its great.
This is me as well....I cried when I laid down the cash, and this thing better last me 15 years, but damn is it awesome!
[Reply]
Rams Fan 04:57 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
This is me as well....I cried when I laid down the cash, and this thing better last me 15 years, but damn is it awesome!
I had the opportunity to get one with my employee discount but declined. My mattress is still comfortable without it.

Originally Posted by Sofa King:
In what order would you rank them best to worst. Any particulars to look out for when choosing one? Things to avoid or look for?
I think Purple is probably the lowest quality of the 4, with Tempur-Sealy / Sleep Number / Serta are all probably comparable in quality and it just depends on personal preference.

As for avoid or look for, I personally suggest trying a mattress before buying it. Otherwise you end up with a product that isn't good or doesn't fit what you desire.
[Reply]
EPodolak 05:07 PM 04-09-2021
TempurPedic Cloud Luxe is amazing - tried it in a store then went online shopping for something marketed as comparable. Found a small manufacturer that I think was eventually bought by Nest...it's the best mattress I've ever owned and relatively inexpensive. Great for the bones and joints. Got a pretty good deal on adjustable bases on Amazon too, we've been really happy with all of it.
[Reply]
kcxiv 06:09 PM 04-09-2021
I just got me a decent serta one for about 600 bucks nice and firm. I went from sleeping about 4 to 5 and a half hours a night, to easily 7 to sometimes 8 hours a night. Its been so fucking nice.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 06:13 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
I hear sleeping in an oxygen rich chamber while sedated with propofol can drastically reduce your body temperature. Have you considered this approach? Michael Jackson used to swear by it.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:29 PM 04-09-2021
I had the opportunity to get one with my employee discount but declined. My mattress is still comfortable without it.

I think Purple is probably the lowest quality of the 4, with Tempur-Sealy / Sleep Number / Serta are all probably comparable in quality and it just depends on personal preference.

As for avoid or look for, I personally suggest trying a mattress before buying it. Otherwise you end up with a product that isn't good or doesn't fit what you desire.
What's the scoop on Saatva? That mattress is getting lots of accolades.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:55 PM 04-09-2021
I worked in a business that makes the catalyst for foams. All sorts of foams: rigid slab insulation foam, shoe sole foam, car seat, car dash, refrigerator insulation foam, etc. Almost all of it is polyurethane, which makes up 90 to 95% of the foam. The remainder is the catalyst, which causes the polyurethane to foam up, and causes it to have the desire properties of density, elasticity, rigidity, etc. It is a very profitable specialty business, whereas the polyurethane is a commodity chemical. I've seen foam production and a production line can pump out thousands of linear feet of foam a day. I have a hard time imagining there is $50 of foam in any mattress - probably more like $15. I don't know about the springs and mattress cover or anything, but I have to believe that a $1000 mattress is $900 profit.
[Reply]
Donger 07:00 PM 04-09-2021
I Hate Big Mattress.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 07:01 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
What's the scoop on Saatva? That mattress is getting lots of accolades.
They’re a newer bed in the box brand.

That’s all I know about them.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up