ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>How about RB?
Couch-Potato 06:26 PM 04-07-2021
Not seeing much discussion regarding our RB committee... which RBs do you like in this draft?

Here’s a couple names I’ve noted:

Trey Serman, 6’0 ft 213 lb, Ohio State

Ohio State running back Trey Sermon is one of the hottest running back prospects in football on the heels of an offensive explosion amid the Ohio State Buckeyes’ run to the National Championship game. Sermon wrangled the primary ball-carrier duties after splitting the load for much of the season with Master Teague III and has made the most of his opportunities; shredding two high-profile defenses in high-profile games. Sermon’s skill set and production will be the latest argument against drafting running backs high in the draft—Sermon is expected to be a mid-round prospect thanks to some inefficiencies and a lack of production on third downs; but on a team that runs inside and split zone with success, Sermon can be super productive (just as he was in such concepts for the Buckeyes down the stretch). Sermon has the physicality, contact balance, ball security, and toughness to be an early-down back and shoulder the majority of the load for an NFL team—he’ll be an economic option for zone-based teams looking to boost their ground game and add some toughness into the mix. As an added bonus, between his tenure at Oklahoma and his one season at Ohio State, Sermon has not logged 200-plus carries in a single season; there’s reason to believe that there should be plenty of life left in his legs for a significant long-term return on investment.

Ideal Role: Early-down starting running back in communal stable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1BrSf6iUc

Javian Hawkins, 5’9 FT 196 LB, Louisville

Javian Hawkins was a dynamic playmaker for Louisville over the last two seasons where he racked up 417 touches from scrimmage for 2,432 yards and 17 touchdowns. He is exceptionally quick, elusive, and has the speed to take the football the distance from anywhere on the field. What he lacks in size, he makes up in big-play potential. At the next level, Hawkins doesn’t profile as a feature back, but his skill set demands a few chances each week to get involved in the passing game, jet motion, and perimeter runs. The challenge with Hawkins in the NFL is he lacks natural vision, is undersized, and has some ball security issues. Despite his skill set translating well to pass-catching duties out of the backfield, he only caught 21 passes in college, so he must prove his ability to be a reliable receiver. Hawkins is a niche player, but his ability to produce big plays and add a speed dynamic gives him a chance at the next level. Ideally, he could increase his value by contributing as a returner, but he didn’t receive many chances to do so in college and needs to prove himself in that aspect as well.

Ideal Role: Complementary back that gets touches in space in the passing game, is featured in jet motion, and carries the football outside the tackles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2XbfJLAo4
[Reply]
Kellerfox 06:33 PM 04-07-2021
Love Harris and Etienne, but I’m assuming they are non starters given expected draft position (Maybe Harris would be considered if he falls to #63 using BPA logic - he would pair nicely with Clyde - but I don’t see any world where that happens).

More realistic guys I like?

4th round: Trey Sermon (OSU) or Rhamondre Stevenson (OU)
7th round: Kylin Hill (Miss St.) or Brenden Knox (Marshall)

I still don’t think I would take a back in this draft regardless. Other priority positions early/mid and I’d rather take a late round flyer on other developmental positions as well.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:39 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
Love Harris and Etienne, but I’m assuming they are non starters given expected draft position (Maybe Harris would be considered if he falls to #63 using BPA logic - he would pair nicely with Clyde - but I don’t see any world where that happens).

More realistic guys I like?

4th round: Trey Sermon (OSU) or Rhamondre Stevenson (OU)
7th round: Kylin Hill (Miss St.) or Brenden Knox (Marshall)

I still don’t think I would take a back in this draft regardless. Other priority positions early/mid and I’d rather take a late round flyer on other developmental positions as well.
With respect to CEH, we had some trouble at the goal line last year and could get more out of the position. I think we need to add a 2nd guy to the committee, draft or FA.
[Reply]
The Franchise 06:42 PM 04-07-2021
I think you’re going to see less issues at the goal line with Thuney, Blythe and Long on the interior.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 06:47 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I think you’re going to see less issues at the goal line with Thuney, Blythe and Long on the interior.
That and most of CEH’s goal line attempts were in the first few weeks. Andy largely quit after it was clearly not working early and gave most of the mid/late season goal line touches to Williams (or running the shovel pass play to Sherman/Kelce 4-5x).

Clyde was pretty great between the 20s however when given a chance. I think another year of confidence, NFL strength training, and settling into the system will improve things on his end as well near the goal line independent of the IOL improvements (which will also help!).
[Reply]
Kellerfox 06:48 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
With respect to CEH, we had some trouble at the goal line last year and could get more out of the position. I think we need to add a 2nd guy to the committee, draft or FA.
I agree that I don’t think Williams is the long term answer at RB2, so if not this year, then I think we will be signing or drafting a new face next year.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:48 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
That and most of CEH’s goal line attempts were in the first few weeks. Andy largely quit after it was clearly not working early and gave most of the mid/late season goal line touches to Williams (or running the shovel pass play to Sherman/Kelce 4-5x).

Clyde was pretty great between the 20s however when given a chance. I think another year of confidence, NFL strength training, and settling into the system will improve things on his end as well near the goal line independent of the IOL improvements (which will also help!).
I agree on all fronts, but still feel like adding a 2nd guy would complete the committee.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:55 PM 04-07-2021
I've been kind of pulling for Trey Sermon in the fourth, but I think I'd rather secure TE#2 before getting RB #2/3 if we're talking draft capital. Why not both is the best question here, I suppose.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:00 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I've been kind of pulling for Trey Sermon in the fourth, but I think I'd rather secure TE#2 before getting RB #2/3 if we're talking draft capital. Why not both is the best question here, I suppose.
Feels like TE #2's are cheap on FA market
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:34 PM 04-07-2021
I'm sure we'll either take a guy late or an UDFA. Possibly poach a kid from someone's practice squad.

remember Veach's stated preference: 5'10, 220. Obviously have to be a plus pass catcher.

Clyde's a little smaller, true.
[Reply]
Coogs 08:18 PM 04-07-2021

Chuba Hubbard was awesome in 2019. Might be there on day 3.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 08:19 PM 04-07-2021
Hubbard is a diva. Fuck that bitch.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 08:20 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm sure we'll either take a guy late or an UDFA. Possibly poach a kid from someone's practice squad.

remember Veach's stated preference: 5'10, 220. Obviously have to be a plus pass catcher.

Clyde's a little smaller, true.
In Veach I trust.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:44 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Hubbard is a diva. **** that bitch.
I just saw him play a couple of games as a junior, and he looked pretty good. Didn't know the rest.
[Reply]
Up