ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 30
« First < 182425262728 2930 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Four major art projects for new KCI terminal revealed
neech 10:50 PM 04-09-2021
The first of four major art projects for the new single terminal airport at KCI have been revealed.

More than 1,000 artists from around the world submitted inquiries after Kansas City announced an international search for artists.
The city said the four works of art were chosen because they either reflected the wonder of travel or Kansas City history.

The budget for artwork at KCI’s new terminal is $5.65 million. Kansas City’s single-terminal airport is expected to open on budget and on time in early 2023.

“The fact that we’ve been through a pandemic over the last year and yet this project remains on time, on schedule, and on budget is a testament to the good work of the team,” said Justin Meyer with the KC Aviation Department.

You can see the renderings of the art projects in the gallery below.

Entitled "Molten Swing"

Entitled "The Air up There"

Entitled "Ornithology"

Entitled "Fountain of Resonance"

"Molten Swing" looks kind of like a mosaic dog or cat to me, it might look cool though but not sure what to make of it at this point.

"The Air up There" simply looks like some lights on the ceiling, again it might look better when you're actually there I hope.

"Ornithology" reminds me of those attacking creatures in the Pitch Black movie. You just knew one of the artwork they chose would have a WTF moment and this is it.

"Fountain of Resonance" I approve of this one.
:-)

Thoughts?

https://fox4kc.com/news/art-projects...inal-revealed/
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:28 AM 12-01-2023
Kansas City's Aviation Department plans new ways to address arrival curb backup

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Aviation Department Thursday addressed improvements they are continuing to make at the new airport, including congestion at the lower-level arrivals curb.

Drivers arriving back in the City of Fountains had differing experiences.

“It’s hard to get through here. I know that,” said LaMonte Ganaway, who flew out of Kansas City on Thanksgiving.

The Gilmore family said each trip they’ve taken since the new single terminal opened has been smooth.

“Everything went smooth in and out,” traveler Scott Gilmore said. “Most every time we travel here, I don’t have any problems.”

During Thursday’s afternoon business session, the department said drivers who leave their cars on the curb can now be ticketed or towed. Workers handed out 46 tickets over the holiday weekend to drivers who were not in their vehicles or refused to move.

The department is also looking into a new location for the cell phone lot with plans to conduct a study in the new year.

There were talks of adjusting lanes to allow commercial traffic and drivers parking in the garage to avoid backing up traffic.

Justin Meyer with the aviation department said there could be an opportunity to go to three lanes sooner.

“I think the winter holiday will be one we feel really prepared for based on how things went,” Meyer said. “The winter holiday is one where it is spread out over several weeks.”

During the Thanksgiving travel window, security screened almost 172,000 passengers.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...al-curb-backup
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:16 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by seamonster:
You started out well...You really have no idea how systems work. I've flown out of KC many times and it was always a treat. When you fly out of Dulles international airport you're herded into security lines that feel like feed-lots (which is probably something urbanites like) that stretch out for hundreds of yards and are slow moving. When you fly out of KC those India styled scrum lines disappear because they concurrently distribute out and parallelize the ingress for security across n+ lines. It's not just one big stupid ****ing line.
Doesn't seem like KCI would be busy enough to require more than one main checkpoint, but my point of reference is Sky Harbor, which can be busy as hell and get people through within 5 or 10 minutes even when the line looks daunting.

Not to say KCI couldn't fuck it up with process or layout or understaffing... haven't been through it yet.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:11 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Kansas City's Aviation Department plans new ways to address arrival curb backup

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Aviation Department Thursday addressed improvements they are continuing to make at the new airport, including congestion at the lower-level arrivals curb.

Drivers arriving back in the City of Fountains had differing experiences.

“It’s hard to get through here. I know that,” said LaMonte Ganaway, who flew out of Kansas City on Thanksgiving.

The Gilmore family said each trip they’ve taken since the new single terminal opened has been smooth.

“Everything went smooth in and out,” traveler Scott Gilmore said. “Most every time we travel here, I don’t have any problems.”

During Thursday’s afternoon business session, the department said drivers who leave their cars on the curb can now be ticketed or towed. Workers handed out 46 tickets over the holiday weekend to drivers who were not in their vehicles or refused to move.

The department is also looking into a new location for the cell phone lot with plans to conduct a study in the new year.

There were talks of adjusting lanes to allow commercial traffic and drivers parking in the garage to avoid backing up traffic.

Justin Meyer with the aviation department said there could be an opportunity to go to three lanes sooner.

“I think the winter holiday will be one we feel really prepared for based on how things went,” Meyer said. “The winter holiday is one where it is spread out over several weeks.”

During the Thanksgiving travel window, security screened almost 172,000 passengers.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...al-curb-backup
The ticketing of people pulling up to the curb and waiting is a great start.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 05:21 PM 03-20-2024
JetBlue will end service in Kansas City in June

Spoiler!

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...s-city-in-june
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:19 PM 03-20-2024
Wait, I thought the new facility was going to make KC a Mecca for air travel... Oh well...
[Reply]
kysirsoze 07:31 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Wait, I thought the new facility was going to make KC a Mecca for air travel... Oh well...
Yeah losing a trash airline like Jet Blue is a real bummer.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 07:35 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
It's been a few years since I flew with JetBlue, but I always found them to be first rate, certainly no worse than any other airline, and quite a bit better than many in some areas. I mean, they're no Spirit Airlines, but who can reach that bar?
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 07:38 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I don't know about Mecca, but man, I can't imagine having the airport being a good 30 minute drive from downtown KC helps. Not really sure what the city planners were thinking in the late 60's/70's, but man, they got a lot of shit very, very wrong in terms of logical growth of the city.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:27 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
It's been a few years since I flew with JetBlue, but I always found them to be first rate, certainly no worse than any other airline, and quite a bit better than many in some areas. I mean, they're no Spirit Airlines, but who can reach that bar?
Yeah, JetBlue's satisfaction ratings are always some of the best in the industry. They have a low cost model, but they're in a different league than the Spirits and Frontiers of the world.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 09:32 PM 03-20-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, JetBlue's satisfaction ratings are always some of the best in the industry. They have a low cost model, but they're in a different league than the Spirits and Frontiers of the world.
Eh, I guess my experience could have been an outlier. Spirit does suck, but at least they're upfront about it. (And very cheap)
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:39 PM 03-20-2024
pulling out of Bogota and kc......puts kc in fine company
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 09:49 PM 03-20-2024
Eh, I guess my experience could have been an outlier. Spirit does suck, but at least they're upfront about it. (And very cheap)
Unless you have to check a bag. I've flown Spirit once. Ten years ago, and to date they're the only airline to misplace my luggage. My luggage was found and delivered to me a day before my return flight. When I check in the following day, they wanted to charge me again for checking my luggage. After a quick chat with their supervisor, they did waive the fee. But if I remember right, it was something silly like $85 for my checked bag. I'm guessing that fee is probably double now.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 09:51 PM 03-20-2024
Unless you have to check a bag. I've flown Spirit once. Ten years ago, and to date they're the only airline to misplace my luggage. My luggage was found and delivered to me a day before my return flight. When I check in the following day, they wanted to charge me again for checking my luggage. After a quick chat with their supervisor, they did waive the fee. But if I remember right, it was something silly like $85 for my checked bag. I'm guessing that fee is probably double now.
Oh yeah, with Spirit you have to carry on and go absolutely no frills. It's basically the modern equivalent of stowing away in the cargo hold, but it saves some money.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:58 PM 03-20-2024
I don't know about Mecca, but man, I can't imagine having the airport being a good 30 minute drive from downtown KC helps. Not really sure what the city planners were thinking in the late 60's/70's, but man, they got a lot of shit very, very wrong in terms of logical growth of the city.
As far as being a transit hub, I'm not sure the distance to downtown really factors into it. 30 minutes doesn't really seem like a big deal to me.

Denver and Chicago and Dallas being hubs meant KC was always going to have an uphill climb.

And when you go to build a new airport, you have to go far enough out to find a big enough piece of undeveloped land.

Denver's new airport was out in the middle of no where when it opened.

Some people from greater Denver found Colorado Springs a viable alternative to Denver, for instance.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:52 AM 03-21-2024
Atlanta’s airport… the busiest airport in the world… is well south of their downtown… up to an hour or more with traffic.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 30
« First < 182425262728 2930 >
Up