ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 30
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Four major art projects for new KCI terminal revealed
neech 10:50 PM 04-09-2021
The first of four major art projects for the new single terminal airport at KCI have been revealed.

More than 1,000 artists from around the world submitted inquiries after Kansas City announced an international search for artists.
The city said the four works of art were chosen because they either reflected the wonder of travel or Kansas City history.

The budget for artwork at KCI’s new terminal is $5.65 million. Kansas City’s single-terminal airport is expected to open on budget and on time in early 2023.

“The fact that we’ve been through a pandemic over the last year and yet this project remains on time, on schedule, and on budget is a testament to the good work of the team,” said Justin Meyer with the KC Aviation Department.

You can see the renderings of the art projects in the gallery below.

Entitled "Molten Swing"

Entitled "The Air up There"

Entitled "Ornithology"

Entitled "Fountain of Resonance"

"Molten Swing" looks kind of like a mosaic dog or cat to me, it might look cool though but not sure what to make of it at this point.

"The Air up There" simply looks like some lights on the ceiling, again it might look better when you're actually there I hope.

"Ornithology" reminds me of those attacking creatures in the Pitch Black movie. You just knew one of the artwork they chose would have a WTF moment and this is it.

"Fountain of Resonance" I approve of this one.
:-)

Thoughts?

https://fox4kc.com/news/art-projects...inal-revealed/
[Reply]
srvy 06:51 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I dunno, their art budget was apparently one third of one percent of the $1.5 billion, and if you're spending that much on an airport, why not make it look nice?

I imagine some people would be pissed if it looked just as dreary and outdated as the old airport with people bitching along the lines of "$1.5 billion and they couldn't even make it look nice?!?!"

I've been in a lot of airports and have walked by a lot of art and what not... I still remember Atlanta's glowing tunnels from when I was there ~15 years ago. It didn't change my life, but I assume didn't bankrupt Atlanta and probably makes people smile for a minute. :-)
Atlanta is a major hub and one if not the busiest airports in the US. KC is not and never will be as we are surrounded by major airports.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 06:52 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I really enjoy walking through Denver's airport and deciphering the clues left behind by the alien lizard slave laborers.
Definitely some weird conspiracy theories regarding Denvers airport
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:58 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
You just posted about the dishonesty of KC and City Hall. The voters voted for a 1 billion airport and you let the airlines con you into more. Like I said and have said you're not going to see Southwest or any other airline fulfill that promise. They are not paying for our airport as soon as it's not profitable those gates will be barren.
I guess it could always go to court, but the contract appears to say they are on the hook.

“If there were another March 2020, where revenue would dry out for four or five months, the airlines would be on the hook to cover, to make sure that we made that $95 million debt payment in that year,” Klein said. “They’ve taken on that responsibility to be the backstop to make sure that we’re good

“That annual debt payment is paid through a combination of airport revenue,” Klein said. “So the airline rents, the parking revenue, the concessions, all of that totals, let’s say $75 million. For each passenger that goes through the airport, we get $4.50. That equals about $20 million annually. So that’s how we pay the debt back

It looks like the landing fee is about $5 per passenger per flight. So that doesn't sound like much and about typical for airports. So whatever you are paying for muh modern art and high ceilings is probably mostly from concession fees from parking and high priced food and drink.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:58 PM 04-29-2023
Atlanta is a major hub and one if not the busiest airports in the US. KC is not and never will be as we are surrounded by major airports.
What's the busyness/art ratio for airports?
[Reply]
srvy 07:00 PM 04-29-2023
KC isn't a City that lurks in airports. Hell you can barely get people to cross the river for anything. They have been bitching since day one when they had to drive 20 miles to old MCI. They could have put an international airport in OP Ks or Blue Springs people would have gone through the roof with noise pollution like they did with I-70 I 470 291 I 435 about noise.
[Reply]
|Zach| 07:01 PM 04-29-2023
KC isn't a City that lurks in airports. Hell you can barely get people to cross the river for anything. They have been bitching since day one when they had to drive 20 miles to old MCI. They could have put an international airport in OP Ks or Blue Springs people would have gone through the roof with noise pollution like they did with I-70 I 470 291 I 435 about noise.
And we are not catering to the lowest common denominator of dipshit Kansas Citians anymore fuck those people they can stay at home.
[Reply]
srvy 07:02 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I guess it could always go to court, but the contract appears to say they are on the hook.

“If there were another March 2020, where revenue would dry out for four or five months, the airlines would be on the hook to cover, to make sure that we made that $95 million debt payment in that year,” Klein said. “They’ve taken on that responsibility to be the backstop to make sure that we’re good

“That annual debt payment is paid through a combination of airport revenue,” Klein said. “So the airline rents, the parking revenue, the concessions, all of that totals, let’s say $75 million. For each passenger that goes through the airport, we get $4.50. That equals about $20 million annually. So that’s how we pay the debt back

It looks like the landing fee is about $5 per passenger per flight. So that doesn't sound like much and about typical for airports. So whatever you are paying for muh modern art and high ceilings is probably mostly from concession fees from parking and high priced food and drink.
There is no guarantee Southwest will even be in business in 5 to 10 years they like a lot of airlines are struggling.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:04 PM 04-29-2023
Laughable post from Dunderhead the Irish. Spoken like a Kansan who isn't going to pay for this when it fails and those airlines' promises vanish along with the food venues when they can't make money.
Scurvy, I relay enjoy reading your run on sentences and inability to pick up on anything with nuance. But that’s okay. We know you weren’t burdened with an over abundance of education.
[Reply]
srvy 07:04 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
One thing that I will mention about art is that it can serve as a waypoint or meetup spot, which is important in a place like an airport. Plus, it's better for morale than wandering through some sort of East Germany concrete block structure built at the lowest bid. As human beings, we no longer dwell in the primeval forest, so we need to have some type of beauty in our environment.
My beauty is getting in and out of an airport pronto.
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:06 PM 04-29-2023
That's like saying, in 2013, "KC isn't a city that attends Royals games".
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 07:08 PM 04-29-2023
Mr Srvy has the full understanding of the sell job done on this airport. They will have to fund it at some point via tax on the city and added fees on tickets. It was a scam from the start and a grift by Sly and city council and pressed forward by the new mayor. the kickbacks will pay out over many years.
[Reply]
srvy 07:11 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Scurvy, I relay enjoy reading your run on sentences and inability to pick up on anything with nuance. But that’s okay. We know you weren’t burdened with an over abundance of education.
William the brilliant dipshit go grab your shillelagh and beat your head with it like your old man did.
[Reply]
srvy 07:12 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Not running a relay either
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:13 PM 04-29-2023
William the brilliant dipshit go grab your shillelagh and beat your head with like your old man did.
Beat your head with..

Scurvy, a peacock in everything but intelligence.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:14 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Mr Srvy has the full understanding of the sell job done on this airport. They will have to fund it at some point via tax on the city and added fees on tickets. It was a scam from the start and a grift by Sly and city council and pressed forward by the new mayor. the kickbacks will pay out over many years.
Show your work, backwoods.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 30
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Up