ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 961 of 3903
« First < 461861911951957958959960961 9629639649659711011106114611961 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:41 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Not sure what exactly can be done. Maybe require them to take a test and if they come back negative then no harm no foul.
Arrest them every one for leaving the order in NY and ship them back or detain them in jail.
[Reply]
O.city 06:41 PM 03-31-2020
Hamas what do you know about favipiravir?
[Reply]
jd1020 06:42 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Arrest them every one for leaving the order in NY and ship them back or detain them in jail.
Was unaware NY was quarantined.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:43 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by D2112:
Right now it’s a battle between people with common sense, and without.
Yes and as more and more people panic and leave the areas they live in, yes I am looking at you NYC, because the powers to be will not do what is necessary to contain this virus people will start dying from "lead".
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:44 PM 03-31-2020
Was unaware NY was quarantined.
Shelter in place order.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:45 PM 03-31-2020
It's a little hard when the law in question is the Constitution.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:46 PM 03-31-2020
Shelter in place order.
That's not a full blown quarantine. Just like every other state with a stay at home order it's not a ban on travel/leaving your home.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:48 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's a little hard when the law in question is the Constitution.
Is that going to lead to a question of "scared for the safety of myself and my families safety"?
[Reply]
jd1020 06:50 PM 03-31-2020
Is that going to lead to a question of "scared for the safety of myself and my families safety"?
Does your family not practice standard sanitation?
[Reply]
TLO 06:51 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Dr. Google says it sounds promising, but it's in Japan primarily.

Are the cloriquine trials not going well? Doesn't seem as though we've been hearing much about them.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:53 PM 03-31-2020
Does your family not practice standard sanitation?
It will not be my cousins that still live in the area, the rest of my family lives 45 minutes away, that might take this too far.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:59 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Not much more than you do, probably. Upon briefly reading an article, it seems that it may not have great activity in human respiratory cells, which you'd obviously want when fighting a virus attacking alveoli. That's something that a lot of providers don't consider--drugs often have vastly different penetration depending upon what organ you are speaking of.

There is a powerful antibiotic that can be used for MRSA called Daptomycin, but you can't use it in lung infections because it is inactivated by pulmonary surfactant. Cefpodoxime is a good antibiotic, but it doesn't achieve good concentration in the urine, so it's not good against UTIs, etc.

There is a Chinese study where it performed better than Kaletra with interferon alpha, but is that due to an interaction between Kaletra and interferon or is favipravir truly better? It was an open-label study, both Kaletra and interferon can be hepatotoxic (although favipravir is also hepatotoxic). It's just too hard to tell.

Watching people's reactions to this reminds me of reading about early therapies thought to work against HIV. Patients (including Rock Hudson) traveled from all over the world to go to Paris to receive a drug called HPA-23, doctors actually conducted trials with a drug that was not legal to import in the US called trichosanthin (which was an extract from a Chinese root). In the end, one compound developed in the 60s was effective (AZT was a failed cancer drug developed at NIH), but it was years before truly effective therapies emerged.
[Reply]
Donger 07:02 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
NY has more cases today than any other country on planet Earth. Given how bad it’s been in Italy and Spain (who have never gotten as high in daily new infections as NY today) that’s just crazy.
Yep. Just stunning figures. I wish NYC had taken it more seriously. Maybe next time.
[Reply]
O.city 07:06 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Not much more than you do, probably. Upon briefly reading an article, it seems that it may not have great activity in human respiratory cells, which you'd obviously want when fighting a virus attacking alveoli. That's something that a lot of providers don't consider--drugs often have vastly different penetration depending upon what organ you are speaking of.

There is a powerful antibiotic that can be used for MRSA called Daptomycin, but you can't use it in lung infections because it is inactivated by pulmonary surfactant. Cefpodoxime is a good antibiotic, but it doesn't achieve good concentration in the urine, so it's not good against UTIs, etc.

There is a Chinese study where it performed better than Kaletra with interferon alpha, but is that due to an interaction between Kaletra and interferon or is favipravir truly better? It was an open-label study, both Kaletra and interferon can be hepatotoxic (although favipravir is also hepatotoxic). It's just too hard to tell.

Watching people's reactions to this reminds me of reading about early therapies thought to work against HIV. Patients (including Rock Hudson) traveled from all over the world to go to Paris to receive a drug called HPA-23, doctors actually conducted trials with a drug that was not legal to import in the US called trichosanthin (which was an extract from a Chinese root). In the end, one compound developed in the 60s was effective (AZT was a failed cancer drug developed at NIH), but it was years before truly effective therapies emerged.
They had some success with it in China which you know if they’re complimenting the Japanese it must have worked

Read one study that it had really good success with mild and moderate cases which would make some sense in regards to the respiratory issue
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:25 PM 03-31-2020
You quarantine sick people to keep them away from the healthy. This is house arrest. Call shit what it is.
[Reply]
Page 961 of 3903
« First < 461861911951957958959960961 9629639649659711011106114611961 > Last »
Up