ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I-29 to Omaha is apparently closed from flooding
BWillie 02:54 PM 03-16-2019
https://www.kq2.com/content/news/Flo...507212831.html

Flooding has forced more evacuations in northwest Missouri.

The Atchison County Commission issued an immediate mandatory evacuation Friday for areas west of I-29 due to the threat flooding.

The Missouri River at Brownville, NE is approaching record levels.

As of Friday afternoon, the river is at 44.49 feet just shy of the record crest of 44.8 set in 2011.

The river is expected to crest at 48 feet on Sunday.

Near-record level flooding has also forced the shutdown of I-29 at the Missouri/Iowa border.

Interstate 29 at Rock Port exit 110 is closed due to flooding in Iowa.

The Missouri Department of Transportation said drivers wanting to use I-29 northbound should use I-35 and then I-80 into Iowa.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:00 AM 03-27-2019
Releases from Gavins point upped to 36 in the next couple days

Release: 30,000 cfs (up 3,000 cfs in the last 24 hours and will be incrementally increased 3,000 cfs Wednesday and Thursday to coincide with scheduled increases at Fort Randall Dam.)

Link:
https://www.nwd.usace.army.mil/Media...em-reservoirs/
[Reply]
BWillie 12:59 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Releases from Gavins point upped to 36 in the next couple days

Release: 30,000 cfs (up 3,000 cfs in the last 24 hours and will be incrementally increased 3,000 cfs Wednesday and Thursday to coincide with scheduled increases at Fort Randall Dam.)

Link:
https://www.nwd.usace.army.mil/Media...em-reservoirs/
I still don't know what any of this means, and if it will cause a repeated flooding event.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:26 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
The combination of the water treatment plant and meat packing plants caused that. Now swift that was right by the interstate is gone. They've cleaned up the water treatment plant pretty well with newer technologies. IBP in Dakota city is now Tyson. They no longer process cattle. I worked at IBP for a year and a half. Wednesday was "blood day" where they would pump and dispose of the blood. That on a ripe August day would gag a maggot.
The plant right there on 29 is gone? That would go a LONG way to helping for sure...
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:27 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by bevischief:
It isn't May yet. North Dakota doesn't know spring yet.
Yep. This won't be over until like June.
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:39 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I still don't know what any of this means, and if it will cause a repeated flooding event.
It don't help
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:43 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The plant right there on 29 is gone? That would go a LONG way to helping for sure...
Yep even took down the wall that hid it (I think). Guess it was Morrell and not swift. Right now it's all tore up redoing through I-29. It's a mess.
[Reply]
Fish 05:44 PM 03-28-2019
Cattle loss numbers are starting to show up, and it's pretty ugly. That's saying nothing for the farm land that's been lost. In some places, the soil has been completely displaced and might not be farmable in the future. For many, this entire year is going to be a complete loss. Insurance claims are going to be plentiful.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:36 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Cattle loss numbers are starting to show up, and it's pretty ugly. That's saying nothing for the farm land that's been lost. In some places, the soil has been completely displaced and might not be farmable in the future. For many, this entire year is going to be a complete loss. Insurance claims are going to be plentiful.
There is typically no insurance on livestock. The USDa might come in with some
Disaster relief but most cow guys I know don’t have any insurance.

There is nothing out there for erosion.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 07:44 PM 03-28-2019
There are going to be a lot of family farms/ranches that may not make it. Lots of cows and calves lost in the flooding which may not be felt on a consumer level 'til later. Nebraska provides a lot of livestock and grain crops.

2nd in the US for cattle and calves
6th for Hogs and pigs
3rd in Corn for grain
6th in Soybeans for beans
5th in Forage-land used for all hay and haylage, grass silage, and greenchop
10th in Wheat for grain, all
7th in Winter wheat for grain

(USDA figures)
[Reply]
notorious 07:51 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
There are going to be a lot of family farms/ranches that may not make it. Lots of cows and calves lost in the flooding which may not be felt on a consumer level 'til later. Nebraska provides a lot of livestock and grain crops.

2nd in the US for cattle and calves
6th for Hogs and pigs
3rd in Corn for grain
6th in Soybeans for beans
5th in Forage-land used for all hay and haylage, grass silage, and greenchop
10th in Wheat for grain, all
7th in Winter wheat for grain

(USDA figures)
I don't want to under value the damage done, but all of that is spread over the entire state.

Still devastating.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:00 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by :
Release date:
March 21, 2019
Release Number:
HQ-19-020
WASHINGTON – The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced that federal disaster assistance has been made available to the state of Nebraska to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe winter storm, straight-line winds and flooding beginning on March 9, 2019, and continuing.

The President's action makes federal funding available to affected individuals in Butler, Cass, Colfax, Dodge, Douglas, Nemaha, Sarpy, Saunders, and Washington counties. Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

Federal funding is also available to the state, tribal and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work damaged by severe winter storm, straight-line winds and flooding in Adams, Antelope, Blaine, Boone, Box Butte, Boyd, Brown, Buffalo, Burt, Butler, Cass, Cedar, Cherry, Colfax, Cuming, Custer, Dakota, Dixon, Dodge, Douglas, Fillmore, Frontier, Furnas, Gage, Garfield, Gosper, Greeley, Hall, Harlan, Holt, Howard, Jefferson, Johnson, Keya Paha, Knox, Lancaster, Lincoln, Logan, Loup, Madison, Merrick, Morrill, Nance, Nemaha, Nuckolls, Otoe, Pawnee, Pierce, Platte, Richardson, Rock, Saline, Sarpy, Saunders, Scotts Bluff, Seward, Sherman, Stanton, Thayer, Thurston, Valley, Washington, Wayne, Wheeler, and York counties and the Santee Sioux Nation, Ponca Tribe of Nebraska, Omaha Tribe of Nebraska, Sac and Fox, and Winnebago Tribes. As part of the Public Assistance Program, assistance for debris removal and emergency protective measures (Categories A and B), including direct federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent federal funding.

Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures for the state and tribes in Nebraska.

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/20...ation-nebraska
[Reply]
KS Smitty 08:10 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I don't want to under value the damage done, but all of that is spread over the entire state.

Still devastating.
Yes it is. 3/4 of all Nebraska counties have declared emergencies. $440 million in crop losses (not including the crops not planted that probably won't/cant be) and $400 million in cattle losses.
Lots of help with clean up and supplies coming from other states, Nebraska helped a lot with the wildfires in TX, OK and KS a few years ago and they in turn will do what they can to help NE.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:23 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
There are also serious concerns about what could happen to the market.

Some very large Nebraska feeders are rumored to have had enough and are ready to dump unfinished cattle in order to just wash their hands of them. If the numbers are as big as rumored to be, it will be enough to cause a short term crash. There are also signs some very big pockets are locking in and preparing to ride out some serious margin calls in the process. Big margin calls on top of what's going on around them will destroy any of the little guys who aren't liquid enough to ride out a big swing.

On top of that, if they crash the beef market anyone trying to liquidate the rest of their herd in order to cash flow other losses will be at the mercy of the scalpers.

A lot of people are just going to be screwed no matter what they do.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:07 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by ghak99:
There are also serious concerns about what could happen to the market.

Some very large Nebraska feeders are rumored to have had enough and are ready to dump unfinished cattle in order to just wash their hands of them. If the numbers are as big as rumored to be, it will be enough to cause a short term crash. There are also signs some very big pockets are locking in and preparing to ride out some serious margin calls in the process. Big margin calls on top of what's going on around them will destroy any of the little guys who aren't liquid enough to ride out a big swing.

On top of that, if they crash the beef market anyone trying to liquidate the rest of their herd in order to cash flow other losses will be at the mercy of the scalpers.

A lot of people are just going to be screwed no matter what they do.
Yeah, it would really suck to work your tits off to save your cows from the flood and then get wrecked by a crazy market swing.

If that happens, I should buy a call at the bottom.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:25 PM 03-29-2019
Flooding prompts criticism of way Missouri River dams run

https://journalstar.com/news/state-a...1f9f3.amp.html
[Reply]
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up