ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 19
« First < 61213141516 171819 >
Nzoner's Game Room>I-29 to Omaha is apparently closed from flooding
BWillie 02:54 PM 03-16-2019
https://www.kq2.com/content/news/Flo...507212831.html

Flooding has forced more evacuations in northwest Missouri.

The Atchison County Commission issued an immediate mandatory evacuation Friday for areas west of I-29 due to the threat flooding.

The Missouri River at Brownville, NE is approaching record levels.

As of Friday afternoon, the river is at 44.49 feet just shy of the record crest of 44.8 set in 2011.

The river is expected to crest at 48 feet on Sunday.

Near-record level flooding has also forced the shutdown of I-29 at the Missouri/Iowa border.

Interstate 29 at Rock Port exit 110 is closed due to flooding in Iowa.

The Missouri Department of Transportation said drivers wanting to use I-29 northbound should use I-35 and then I-80 into Iowa.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:18 AM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
The damage to land explodes my brain.
After this-there has to be land that will forever be unfarmable. I thought 1993 was bad.
[Reply]
ghak99 09:04 AM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
After this-there has to be land that will forever be unfarmable. I thought 1993 was bad.
I drive by a piece of land that 1993 ruined every day. It is still basically worthless.

Yesterday I drove by a patch of freshly deposited sand that looked to be ~6' deep laying on top of ~40 acres of what would have been ~$7,000 ground. It would suck some serious ass to be that guy! If you can get it down to 2 feet of sand, you can take a big track hoe and one bucket at a time scoop down to good dirt and raise allowing the sand to fall in the trench while mixing with black dirt and eventually lay your scoop on top as you work your line across the field. Just imagine how slow and expensive doing that to every square foot of an entire field is. Some tried a form of deep plowing that happens in some European countries, but plowing several feet of deep sand and getting it to flop just right is more luck than skill.

The water is receding here, but have 105 acres still under water. It's unprotected 1st bottom right against the creek and generally never gets more than a very small layer of sand laid on it. I can see at least 4 to 5 good sized oak trees floating around out there through.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:51 AM 06-02-2019
Last night I went to Richmond, MO to see my wife in a play at the Farris Theater. I went down US 24 from Independence to Buckner, then Buckner to Lexington to pick up MO 13 north. I went through there around 5:30pm. Apparently a levee breached around Ft. Osage and by 7pm US 24 was underwater at Levasy. Yikes. Coming home I had to take MO 131 south from Wellington to Odessa, then I-70 back to Independence.

Also, the comments about silt being left of valuable farm land is true. Back in 1993, the stretch of US 40 between Boonville and Midway north of the Missouri River looked like a moonscape. Farmers had to use big earth movers and dump trucks to scrape the sand and silt off the valuable farmland. It took years, and some of the land was lost to cut off oxbow lakes and ponds. Ran a lot of family farms out of business. Same thing will happen this time. Really a shame. Family farming is a tough tough business.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 11:03 AM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Last night I went to Richmond, MO to see my wife in a play at the Farris Theater. I went down US 24 from Independence to Buckner, then Buckner to Lexington to pick up MO 13 north. I went through there around 5:30pm. Apparently a levee breached around Ft. Osage and by 7pm US 24 was underwater at Levasy. Yikes. Coming home I had to take MO 131 south from Wellington to Odessa, then I-70 back to Independence.

Also, the comments about silt being left of valuable farm land is true. Back in 1993, the stretch of US 40 between Boonville and Midway north of the Missouri River looked like a moonscape. Farmers had to use big earth movers and dump trucks to scrape the sand and silt off the valuable farmland. It took years, and some of the land was lost to cut off oxbow lakes and ponds. Ran a lot of family farms out of business. Same thing will happen this time. Really a shame. Family farming is a tough tough business.
I have a friend with pecan groves down around Rich Hill and this last round of rain is probably going to eliminate his entire crop this year. Too much standing water for too long.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:57 PM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I drive by a piece of land that 1993 ruined every day. It is still basically worthless.

Yesterday I drove by a patch of freshly deposited sand that looked to be ~6' deep laying on top of ~40 acres of what would have been ~$7,000 ground. It would suck some serious ass to be that guy! If you can get it down to 2 feet of sand, you can take a big track hoe and one bucket at a time scoop down to good dirt and raise allowing the sand to fall in the trench while mixing with black dirt and eventually lay your scoop on top as you work your line across the field. Just imagine how slow and expensive doing that to every square foot of an entire field is. Some tried a form of deep plowing that happens in some European countries, but plowing several feet of deep sand and getting it to flop just right is more luck than skill.

The water is receding here, but have 105 acres still under water. It's unprotected 1st bottom right against the creek and generally never gets more than a very small layer of sand laid on it. I can see at least 4 to 5 good sized oak trees floating around out there through.
Payloader get it? Or will it sink that bastard?

We had some snow melt in frozen ground and caused basically no damage and I’m all bent out of shape about it. What’s there literally exploded my brain.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:24 PM 06-02-2019
So when does New Orleans flood? I am sure other places south are having issues too.

There is a lot of water in the upper midwest.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 08:14 PM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I have a friend with pecan groves down around Rich Hill and this last round of rain is probably going to eliminate his entire crop this year. Too much standing water for too long.

Pretty much all the good bottomland pecan crop is toast in Bates and Vernon as well as the big pecan areas in SE Kansas. Truman is backed up further, deeper and longer than ever. You cant cross Highway B going east out of Rich Hill...and the bottoms are beginning to have the rotten sour smell we had in 93
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 08:19 PM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
So when does New Orleans flood? I am sure other places south are having issues too.

There is a lot of water in the upper midwest.

Baton Rouge and south was having levee breaches in March...The Mississippi Delta North of Vicksburg is way under water. With all the water headed down from Arkansas, The Missouri, and an already full Mississippi, it will get far worse. The question in NO is will the levee improvements made post Katrina work? They have pumps running 24/7 .....Ponchatrain will be a big issue before its over
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:17 PM 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Pretty much all the good bottomland pecan crop is toast in Bates and Vernon as well as the big pecan areas in SE Kansas. Truman is backed up further, deeper and longer than ever. You cant cross Highway B going east out of Rich Hill...and the bottoms are beginning to have the rotten sour smell we had in 93
He had a little hope last weekend because the water had receded. This last round of storms probably screwed it. He said Monday that the silt stink had already set in, but the water was down. I guess I should go tend my NE Texas pecans that aren't flooded, because prices should be up this fall.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:11 PM 06-02-2019
This doesn't even compare to the devastation in other areas, but more of an example of how quickly things can change with what's going on. Last Monday we drove through Sioux City on our way to Yankton and the riverfront appeared normal. Today though...

[Reply]
HonestChieffan 11:29 AM 06-03-2019

This is standing on the Lafayette County, Missouri side looking towards Carroll County. Past the line of trees, last week was dry. Under the water is 65 highway; and the white shed with the line of grain bins is @Casnerfarms under water. Truly heartbreaking to see. pic.twitter.com/HuNT6knfaz

— Tyne Morgan (@Tyne_Ag) June 3, 2019

[Reply]
Fish 11:43 AM 06-03-2019
Only Four of 10 Missouri River Crossings Remain Open(On I-29)

PLATTSMOUTH – The closing of Interstate 680 at the Missouri River brings the number of closed bridges between Omaha and St. Joseph, Mo., to six.

Only four crossings remain open, three in Omaha and the fourth at St. Joseph.

Closed are:

[Reply]
Al Bundy 11:46 AM 06-03-2019
https://fox4kc.com/2019/06/02/floodi...th-directions/
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The flooding in eastern Jackson County, Missouri Saturday reached historic levels, according to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

The sheriff’s office along with multiple emergency crews responded Saturday to help the people of Levasy, Missouri.

Flood waters increased significantly after a second levee breached Saturday afternoon. Overnight flood waters reached 24 Highway in eastern Jackson County. The highway is currently impassable in both directions. It is estimated that flood waters impacted 4.5 miles.

The sheriff’s office said people of Levasy can contact the Red Cross at The United Methodist Church located at 109 South Hudson Street in Buckner, Missouri.

“As we continue to access the areas impacted by the flood, we encourage the public not to come into the flood area,” Jackson County Sheriff Darryl Forté said. “High water can cause significant damage to vehicles, and create a water rescue situation. Please use alternate routes to get around flooded areas. The sheriff’s office will remain in the area and will continue to work with other agencies to ensure that residents and citizens are safe. The safety of everyone is our priority. We will provide updates as information becomes available.”
[Reply]
eDave 11:54 AM 06-03-2019
Dealing with this all the way in Phoenix. Flooding is preventing my technicians from getting to their assigned Casey's locations.

First time I've run into a Force Majeure and I've been doing this a long time. This, coupled with the tornado delays, is going to push my schedule out. That's going to cost them.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:38 PM 06-03-2019
It has been raining there all day
Attached: Capture2.PNG (68.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 16 of 19
« First < 61213141516 171819 >
Up